Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Thimbleby
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I self-identify, in part, as a board gamer.

And I wanted to say thanks to Riot Games for all the effort that went into making this. You are probably around twice the size as this entire industry - that you bothered at all, is a compliment.

But not only is it clear from what I've seen of the game itself, but also in the reviews, articles and interviews I've seen, read and listened to today, that you made this as a passion-project. I particularly enjoyed in one interview hearing one of the designers get excited about people like Vlaada.

The one sentence that brought that home most clearly and powerfully was in the interview with the secret cabal, where you described it as a love letter to the industry.

And thats got some power behind it.

Even without the fact that the game looks right up my street, that would have been more than enough.

But it does look like an amazing game. I particularly love the idea of how every major choice the players make grows or develops (or at least fixes the problems due to damage or stupidity) your character. Growth, and engine development is, I think, one of the more attractive things in games generally, tabletop or computer.

So with all of that in mind, I spent the last few hours trying out League of Legends for the first time as not only did I want to find out more about the company that spent three years(?) producing this game, but also the game looks like it has a lot of what I look for in games, and I wondered if maybe League has something worth exploring too.

Anyway. I also wanted to suggest two boardgame reviewers to you.
1) All the games you like are bad.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw_gTSxeK4OGV8HXDl0fgzg/abo...
www.allthegamesyoulike.com
He's fairly new, and wont do a review unless he feels he has something to contribute so he may not do one anyway, but he's also quite different to other reviewers. Much more thought provoking for one! I particularly recommend his review on Doomrock, although if you've not seen the game first it you may want to check out how Doomrock plays, at least broadly, as he wont teach the game with the review. Failing that, he also has a review for Scythe.
The other thing to say about him, is that he won't pull his punches if he doesn't like it. But do check him out at least, he's worth listening to.

2) No Pun Included
https://www.youtube.com/user/NoPunIncluded/about
I'm partly suggesting these guys because Shut Up and Sit Down (rightly) won't review MvM, due to consulting on it, and these guys occupy a similar brain-space for me, though they've less polish and experience than SUSD.

League of Legends first impressions. Spoiler because not relevant to forum.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
For what it's worth, League looks interesting. I have played Warcraft III (DOTA 1), DOTA 2 and Heroes of the Storm previously, though mainly due to Blizzard associations or Steam rather than any interest in the genre - I prefer games with more longevity to my actions, which League actually has comparatively, but also I prefer team PvE. I'll probably try League again a few more times at least. I definitely prefer it to DOTA2, seems like it's done in a different style to Heroes though. My 4 hour impression is to very exaggeratedly compare Heroes to an abstract and League to an RPG, though obviously the difference is far smaller than that.

I would make the critique, that it's not at all clear what the characters are like at a glance though, which is all I get when choosing one.
In the tutorial it gave me a choice of three and the voice told me one was an archer, another was a melee warrior and the third was a wizard. But there was nothing comparable (at least that the tutorial pointed out to me) when playing an intro co-op game vs AI, and even reading the abilities often didn't help, Kirsten(?) I think, for example, has a ranged dagger throw as her first ability, but is a melee character.

I got asked if I was a smurf on my second game, which apparently is a compliment. I had no idea what it meant, I thought I was being insulted at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RamMegiddo wrote:
...because Shut Up and Sit Down (rightly) won't review MvM, due to consulting on it

Rightly? Personally, I wish they'd reconsider. I'd be fine with a review from Shut Up and Sit Down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a No Pun Included review, for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
RamMegiddo wrote:
...because Shut Up and Sit Down (rightly) won't review MvM, due to consulting on it

Rightly? Personally, I wish they'd reconsider. I'd be fine with a review from Shut Up and Sit Down.

I completely and totally respect their decision to not review it.

That being said, why rightly? Tom Vasel was also paid to consult and did a review. He added a disclaimer at the start of the video and was transparent about his involvement ... I also respect that.

I would welcome a Shut Up and Sit Down review with open arms because I have faith in their ability to remain objective.

Regardless, I do hope that No Pun Included is able to get their hands on an early copy for a review. I like their style a lot, especially as they are getting better and better at their reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Thimbleby
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
RamMegiddo wrote:

Oh, I agree - I'd love to see one. But I respect his decision not to do so more than I want to see it.

That said, maybe Paul could do it in Canada?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A smurf means they thought you've played before and created a new account to start fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.