John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to start dabbling with creating some custom content for WQ:ACG since we now know we won't be getting more official quests. I decided I wanted a heavy undead theme but there isn't a level III undead in the box. So this is what I came up with; the Cairn Wraith. I haven't tested it out or anything yet; this is fresh off of photoshop I still want to tinker with the fonts and clean things up but let me know your feedback!

edit: Below is version 2 of the card. I cleaned up the wording for consistency with the rest of the game. For example I used 'this enemy' instead of 'this creature' and 'suffers wounds' instead of 'takes damage'). I also tweaked the fonts and layout a bit, so unless it turns out to be horribly broken in testing this charming fellow should be good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looking forward to your custom quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R.
msg tools
Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this looks great for a Tier III monster!

Questions about Incorporeal, though: is the intent of the ability to always reduce any damage it receives to one and, if so, would its resilience value stop it from ever being damaged? Moreover, why have a resilience value at all if the damage is always going to be reduced to one?

Also, I don't recall a monster where the ability of the monster changes when it goes from Normal to Elite like in the case of your Life Drain ability. Even though it has been awhile since I played, if I recall correctly, the monster abilities stay the same. So, if Life Drain causes the monster to recover one wound, the ability does that no matter whether the monster is Normal or Elite. There is nothing that says you cannot change this, but I imagine this was done this way to simplify the card mechanics.

Really, though, I like this monster. It seems like the right power level for a Tier III.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dokmatrix wrote:
Also, I don't recall a monster where the ability of the monster changes when it goes from Normal to Elite like in the case of your Life Drain ability. Even though it has been awhile since I played, if I recall correctly, the monster abilities stay the same. So, if Life Drain causes the monster to recover one wound, the ability does that no matter whether the monster is Normal or Elite. There is nothing that says you cannot change this, but I imagine this was done this way to simplify the card mechanics.

Don't have the cards here right now, but wouldn't it be possible to just go at it like "Life Drain 1: " vs. "Life Drain 2:"? It's pretty common in other games, combining a keyword with a number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
Still this pulsing night. A plague I call a heartbeat. Just be still with me. Ya wouldn't believe what I've been thru ...
mbmbmbmbmb
dokmatrix wrote:

Questions about Incorporeal, though: is the intent of the ability to always reduce any damage it receives to one and, if so, would its resilience value stop it from ever being damaged? Moreover, why have a resilience value at all if the damage is always going to be reduced to one?

I take it as if you get past its resilience the most damage you could do is one. Say you have four successes, you subtract one for the resilience, then apply three to the wraith, which gets reduced to just one.

Great looking monster BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback! Yes the intent is that whatever damage gets through the resilience would then be reduced to 1. Please let me know what wording changes would improve that description!

Maybe I will change life drain to just say it recovers health equal to the damage it inflicts (that way the basic ones will still do 1 and the elite will do 2).

Now that I see it in the light of day there are a handful of things I want to clean up with it; I'll keep tinkering!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samanar
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a fantastic looking card, I'd say even better than some of the originals! ninja Can't wait to see the quest itself. I'd say you're on a right track seeing how you managed to find the right balance of power regarding the Tier of this monster.

All the best to you and may the thumbs up motivate you to finish this great work! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I went back in and cleaned up the card (the newer version is now shown above rather than the old version). I changed the language to be more consistent with the rest of the game, improved the wording of the abilities, and improved the fonts and layout a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get this ready for printerstudio or artscow now because I'm gonna request that you do once your done.

...and yeah this looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My concern is in a two hero game it seems likely that it will take quite a few turns to kill these creatures if at all being able to kill the elite.

I can foresee only three damage max in one turn being inflicted onto the wraiths and a possibility of all wounds being healed if unfortunate with the black die.

What about having disease instead of inflict??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea behind this Creature and have to agree it is a great addition to the three or four player game.
thumbsup

But I also agree with David, this enemy would rarely be killed in a two player game.
The combination of reduced damage and healing requires a very high luck factor to successfully kill it.
The Elite version is even worse, with the Advance keyword,it will stay in play indefinitely (You will not leave it behind).

Unfortunately, I cannot think of a good solution to enable it to scale to the lower player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.