Subject: Where To Start with Marvel Dice Masters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I am intrigued by this game and I am a long-time comic book fan. If I decide to take the plunge and give this game a try, should I just start with Civil War starter pack since it is the newest version? Or, is one of the older sets better? Advice on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, consider buying the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles boxed set - it just has more variety and replayability in one box. It's a better starting-off point for new players than any actual "starter set" released thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the info. Any suggestions for which is the best Marvel set? No interest in the ninja turtles theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schappell
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey Christopher, any starter set is good in certain ways. The first set [AvX] set the gold standard for starters and few have been able to live up to its precedence - from any IP. It contained some very powerful cards. It's out of print however and can cost some serious money on ebay, etc.
Uncanny X-men is a good one to pick up, but Age of Ultron is my next favorite Marvel starter set by far (after AvX). AoU contains some great pieces for a team. Every Captain America in that set is a quality card - the best versions of Cap to date.

Each starter contains its own Basic Action Cards which are valuable to tournament (or casual) play. So for those alone, any starter is a good starting point - appropriately so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:
I am intrigued by this game and I am a long-time comic book fan. If I decide to take the plunge and give this game a try, should I just start with Civil War starter pack since it is the newest version? Or, is one of the older sets better? Advice on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.
What I personally would recommend is a starting set and the corresponding 8 booster card + dice of the starter set heroes from an online store like coolstuffinc. In my details, each starter set contains 8 fixed heroes with three "variants" and two dice each. In my opinion two dice are not enough for the lower cost heroes. Hence buying the 8 booster card of the same heroes will give you the same eight heroes but this time with four "variants" and three dice each.

I would then recommend getting another starter set and doing the same thing for your opponent. You should then be able to do a simple draft with the sixteen heroes that you have, or play constructed. I have done this for the first four sets and so have enough "critical mass" already to play in any format I want ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.