Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Yig rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you roll each round to get rid of curse? The rules aren't fully clear "as if it were upkeep"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Basically run a full upkeep round after each Yig attack and before investigators next round. Ignore things that don't matter of course...like getting a buck if you're the deputy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
yeah just saw the faq. we also didn't carry over successful attacks to the next combat round. we SO would have won
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RockstarSuperVillain wrote:
yeah just saw the faq. we also didn't carry over successful attacks to the next combat round. we SO would have won



Why not? From the FAQ:
"Q: In combat with an Ancient One, how do cumulative
successes in the “Investigators Attack” step work?
A: To defeat the Ancient One, the players must do a total
number of successes equal to the number of players multiplied
by the number of doom tokens on the Ancient One.
So, if 4 players are facing Yig (doom track of 10), they
need 40 successes to win. For every 4 successes they do,
they remove 1 doom token to track their progress. If the
investigators get 9 successes in the first round of combat,
they would remove 2 doom tokens, and 1 success would
carry over to the next round of combat
."

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
Because the rules make it sound like it resets to zero after each combat.


Like I said, I just saw the faq.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RockstarSuperVillain wrote:
Because the rules make it sound like it resets to zero after each combat.


Like I said, I just saw the faq.



Duh! You saw the faq after the figh! I had a Homer Simpson moment, sorry!gulp
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RockstarSuperVillain wrote:
Because the rules make it sound like it resets to zero after each combat.


Like I said, I just saw the faq.
Yup, the rulebook regarding Final Battle is terrible - hence the FAQ. I really wish they'd fix it.

It probably won't help, but I think of it in terms of counting in "base-InvestigatorCount" with individual combat check successes as Units and Doom Tokens as the Base (sorry, I'm not using the right technical language). So in a four Investigator game you would count Success1, Success2, Success3, Doom Token, Success1, Success2, Success3, Doom Token, etc. (Or, as a side note, have you heard people counting off musical beats? one, two, three four, two two three four, three two three four, four two three four) There, I said it wouldn't help
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
There, I said it wouldn't help


The bit quoted from the FAQ above is easier. Investigators * Doom spaces = GOO's HP. I have a set of D10s I keep in my game so when the GOO awakens, we just set the hit points and then start subtract successes. Its sooooo much easier than removing doom tokens and tracking leftover hits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
There, I said it wouldn't help


The bit quoted from the FAQ above is easier. Investigators * Doom spaces = GOO's HP. I have a set of D10s I keep in my game so when the GOO awakens, we just set the hit points and then start subtract successes. Its sooooo much easier than removing doom tokens and tracking leftover hits.
What's wrong with counting down a D4 and taking off a Doom every time it hits 1? Not a million miles away from fiddling with two D10 and counting them down. Saves on the calculation step too!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
What's wrong with counting down a D4 and taking off a Doom every time it hits 1? Not a million miles away from fiddling with two D10 and counting them down. Saves on the calculation step too!


The problem with your solution is that it assumes you are playing with less than five people. AH is more a of party/social event with my group and we tend to get 6-9 players in our game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
What's wrong with counting down a D4 and taking off a Doom every time it hits 1? Not a million miles away from fiddling with two D10 and counting them down. Saves on the calculation step too!


The problem with your solution is that it assumes you are playing with less than five people. AH is more a of party/social event with my group and we tend to get 6-9 players in our game.
Weeeeeellllll.... surely it's not beyond the wit of man to replace the D4 with a different die with fewer or more sides as appropriate?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
surely it's not beyond the wit of man to replace the D4 with a different die with fewer or more sides as appropriate?


You're right. In fact a d10 would cover any player count... oh wait, isn't that what I said I was using in my original comment?

Being a little less snarky, I actually have a full set of polyhedrals in my AH game. The D6/D8/D12 are placed in certain locations on the board to remind players what the monster limit, outskirts limit, and open gate limits are. The D10/100 is used for GOO hit points. Sometimes we use the D20 for rumors that require you to place X tokens on them as a timer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
surely it's not beyond the wit of man to replace the D4 with a different die with fewer or more sides as appropriate?


You're right. In fact a d10 would cover any player count... oh wait, isn't that what I said I was using in my original comment?
Not really, no.

Quote:
I actually have a full set of polyhedrals in my AH game. The D6/D8/D12 are placed in certain locations on the board to remind players what the monster limit, outskirts limit, and open gate limits are. The D10/100 is used for GOO hit points. Sometimes we use the D20 for rumors that require you to place X tokens on them as a timer.
I positively hate using dice in that manner. Cannot stand it, will not do it. The only way that I could countenance it was if the die were in some sort of holder (there are no dice trays or dice towers at my table, so the occasional accident would be inevitable).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All it takes is knocking the die to accidentally erase the holdover successes.

I use a stack of N stamina tokens, and move them off the AO sheet. When the Nth is removed, I restore the stack and remove a doom token.

Also don't know if it was mentioned yet, but you technically don't receive money during Final Combat (this is only relevant for "re-loadable" expansion weapons). And as per the FAQ, you can't ever gain clue tokens either.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
so the occasional accident would be inevitable.


Regarding limits, you're talking about values that can be looked up in the manual. They are there as reminders, not counters, so knocking over isn't an issue. The rumor example is the only potential hazard.

kungfro wrote:
All it takes is knocking the die to accidentally erase the holdover successes.


And yet... it has never happened. GOO combat is such a minor part of the game and is usually over in less than five minutes. If this were something that had to be tracked over the duration of a two hour game, I would be inclined to agree with you. But really, its not that hard to place one pair of d10s on one side of the table and have everybody roll their attack dice on the other 2/3rds of the table.

Honestly, my system works. I've used it for years. I'm not really sure why you feel the need to pick at it. I'm not forcing it on you. If it wouldn't work for your group, you have my condolences that you can't find a group of gamers who are responsible enough not to mess with six dice long enough to complete a game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Robinson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
RockstarSuperVillain wrote:
yeah just saw the faq.

Where are you seeing this? I've been through the rules and the official faq v2.0 several times now and I can't see any final battle reference to curses or blessings.
thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tro6inson wrote:
RockstarSuperVillain wrote:
yeah just saw the faq.

Where are you seeing this? I've been through the rules and the official faq v2.0 several times now and I can't see any final battle reference to curses or blessings.
thanks


See page 12 of the complete arkham horror faq, it says investigators get a full upkeep phase. The only thing you stop doing while in the upkeep phase when the ancient one awakes is gaining money, gaining clues, any you should discard any bank loans
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.