United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CivMint
Civilization Building with a Tech Tree, in a Mint Tin
A game of Develop-mint, Advance-mint, Move-mint, Arma-mint, Govern-mint, and lots of Enjoy-mint and Excite-mint!

Designed for the 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest

Cards
- 8 Development Track Cards
- 4 Civilization Aspect Cards
- 6 Maps (double sided)
- 2 Resource Tracking Cards
- 2 Bonus Tracking Cards (for tracking research, taxes, and event die bonuses)
- 1 First Player card.

Components
- 16 Stat Cubes
- 12 Resource Cubes (2x of Yellow, Brown, Gray, Black, Blue, and Red)
- 6 colored clips (2x of Blue, Green, Black)
- 16 D6 Unit Dice
- 2 D6 for random events and battle.
- 6 Damage Cubes for battle.

CivMint is a 2 player game (3-4 with a second set) that uses limited cards and components in order to fit inside an Altoids sized mint tin.

Objective
The goal of CivMint is to build the most powerful and prosperous civilization.

CivMint is a micro civilization building game with a branching tech tree that fits in a mint tin. The game is a combination of area control, resource management, and civilization development. There are four development tracks: Religion, Government, Culture, and Technology. There are five resources to manage: Wood, Stone, Metal, Food, and Money, as well as Combat Power that is used to give you an edge in battle. Each civilization has four aspects to manage: Military Might, Civilian Happiness, Economic Growth, and Population Size. There are also seven types of units that players can build and use for various purposes, represented by D6 dice: Settlers, Villages, Cities, Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, and Ships (identified the same as settlers, but on water spaces).

As a player researches different developments their civilizations will get different benefits. Depending on how a player chooses to develop their civilization they can focus on military, knowledge, or economic strategies.

CivMint has a simple, straightforward tech tree to provide a relatively simple gameplay, yet offers a depth of strategy and multiple paths to victory. Each of the four tracks (religion, political, culture, and technology) has only two branches. The two branches of each track will have strategically opposite goals, e.g. Religion has endings in either Atheism or Monotheism, Political ends in either Communism or Democracy, Culture ends in either Education or Economics, and Technology ends in either Gunpowder or Scientific Reasoning. Each development has thematic benefits and penalties throughout the rest of the game.

Units can be built and upgraded using resources that are gathered from the spaces on the maps. Points will be awarded based on combinations of developments researched, areas controlled, and resources obtained. There will be several end-game triggers, including reaching a certain number of advancements, conquering an opponent's capital city, or building a powerful economy.

PnP Files:
Rules: http://georgejaros.com/Files/CivMint-Rules.pdf
Low Art Cards: http://georgejaros.com/Files/CivMint-Cards.pdf
Full Art Cards: http://georgejaros.com/Files/CivMint-Cards-Full-Art.pdf

Other components needed:
- 16 8mm Stat Cubes (8 per player in a color that matches the dice)
- 12 8mm Resource Cubes (6 per player, one each of Yellow, Brown, Gray, Black, Blue, and Red)
- 16 12mm D6 Unit Dice (8 per player - 2 colors)
- 2 12mm D6 for random events and battle.
- 6 8mm Damage Cubes for battle.

Updates:
11/10/2016 - Updated the rules to fix some typos that caused discrepancies in the component list and setup instructions.
11/22/2016 - Updated the rules to fix a typo in the Round End section that had an old description about removing damage cubes from the board at the end of the round. That section of the rules is now consistent with an earlier section and the reference sheet.
12/9/2016 - After some more playtesting I made a few minor adjustments to the rules. Mostly clarifications, but a few tweaks that affect gameplay. I also got rid of the dials in favor of a few paperclips and two additional tracking cards. And I'm including a card for the first player token, too. Gameplay changes include adjustments to a few maps to keep the board a little more open, a few increased opportunities to gain research, some advancements give you some money, too. Hopefully that'll make the game move a tad bit quicker and encourage combat a little more. This should cut down on a bit of height for the components. I also completely reformatted the rules so they can fit on two sheets of paper (double sided). The paper has trim lines to make the pages 7"x10" and 7"x6" so that they can be folded to business card size and added to the mint tin. It's a tight fit, but everything fits! As of these updates I'm calling the game tentatively Contest Ready. I had hoped to make nicer looking map cards, but I don't think I'll get to that before the 12th. If I do though, it'll be an additional file with full art cards, but that's the only thing that will change. Below is a sample of what the map cards will look like if I get them all finished.
12/10/2016 - OK, I shouldn't have doubted myself. Of course I wouldn't let the game go without being a little fancy. Last night I was up way, way too late finishing up the map cards. And then even later making a cover graphic. So I've uploaded a second file with full art cards (only the map artwork is updated). However, in doing so, I noticed that when converting from Word to PDF some of the Development Tracks got messed up. So I fixed that. So both Cards PDFs are new and all is fixed. This game is officially fully Contest Ready now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] CivMint - Mint Tin Contest 2016 - Idea Phase
Good luck! Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Sounds awesome. Hope you can fit the rules in the tin

Could subtitle it "Contains assorted mints: armamint, advancemint and governmint"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Sounds awesome. Hope you can fit the rules in the tin

Could subtitle it "Contains assorted mints: armamint, advancemint and governmint"

I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game for the first time last night. It was a lot longer than I wanted (a bit too much downtime between turns), but the mechanics worked very well overall. There's a bit of balancing that needs to be done, but I think I have ideas for changes that will smooth things out. Only issue is that I may need to add 12 more cubes, which have to sit on top of the first layer of cubes in the tin, and makes the lid very difficult to close (2mm more and everything would fit fine). So I may need to look at another option for tracking a few stats... But overall I'm very happy with how the game worked out! A meaty euro civilization game in a mint tin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited for this one for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
I'm excited for this one for sure.

I will hopefully have components ready by the end of the weekend. If not it'll be delayed a week because of a vacation next week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does look very nice ! Can't wait to read some more detailed rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Is that chart showing polytheism evolving into monotheism v.s. atheism? I hope not. As a Hindu, the idea that polytheism is a less advanced form of religion is extremely offensive. I'd watch out for that. But I hope I'm just reading it wrong. I love civ games and this looks like a lot of game in a little package, which I'm excited for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are indeed some strange chainings in this tech tree.
Two other that bothered me a bit were Fascism "evolving" into Communism, and Monarchy being a mandatory step towards Democracy.

In some cases, I think it's more a matter of temporal precedence rather than how advanced the "tech" is ; there are some other Civ games around that play things this way, and for instance make players Polytheists at the beginning before offering them the choice of going Monotheist (or not).

I'm pretty sure the designer does not mean to be offensive, but indeed he'll have to carefully word how the tracks are to be understood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quinarbre wrote:
There are indeed some strange chainings in this tech tree.
Two other that bothered me a bit were Fascism "evolving" into Communism, and Monarchy being a mandatory step towards Democracy.

In some cases, I think it's more a matter of temporal precedence rather than how advanced the "tech" is ; there are some other Civ games around that play things this way, and for instance make players Polytheists at the beginning before offering them the choice of going Monotheist (or not).

I'm pretty sure the designer does not mean to be offensive, but indeed he'll have to carefully word how the tracks are to be understood.

Yes, this is it exactly... In the constraints of a mint tin, I wasn't able to add the much more complex tech trees that I had originally envisioned. So this isn't really a development tree saying that one development is 'better' than another, but more a development tree of historical development and complexity. And it's a very simplified vision of developments.

On the government track, the idea was to show a contrast between governments that were more focused on society (monarchy and democracy) vs state (fascism and communism). I know that in reality there are a lot more complexities involved in governments than that, but this was an attempt to both simplify and extremify (is that a word) the development tracks. In my original ideas I had a much more complex web of different government types and a much more open development track. You could go from Monarchy to a number of different government types, including Democracy, Communism, Fascism, Theocracy, etc. and you could go from Fascism to Monarchy, Democracy, Communism, Theocracy, etc. So it was more of a web than a track. But I quickly realized that would become way too unwieldy with just the components I could put into a mint tin, so I broke each development track into just two halves.

Likewise the Religion track isn't saying that Monotheism is better than Polytheism, or even more advanced, but it is an ideological viewpoint that was developed, historically, after polytheism. Again, the track is meant to be a very generic depiction of religious developments that are possible in a civilization over time, not an endorsement of anything being better than anything else. It's more of a representation that one idea or philosophy can give rise to another one.

The Technology track is the same. Agriculture is an early advancement, but it's not necessarily worse than or less important than any of the later advancements. Same with the Culture track, which I have split earlier than any of the others. In the game you can't have both Coinage and Drama, but we all know that historically that's definitely not the case, and you can't say one is more important than the other either. You also can't say that Philosophy is more important than Drama, however in a historical context Drama (storytelling, etc.) gave rise to Philosophy, thus it appears first in my development tree.

It's definitely not my intention to offend anyone, or to imply that anything is more important or more 'advanced' than anything else, just that historically some developments came earlier than others, and some developments were the catalyst that sparked other developments.

Plus, in order to gamify a civilization and make a very complex development tree a very simple abstract representation, I had to take some artistic liberties. There are four main strategies in the game: Research, Economics, Area Control, and Combat. Each development track has benefits for one or two of those strategies, even if a real civilization would have a lot of these developments intertwined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and on a side note... Any additional prerequisites (e.g. Communism requiring Atheism) have been dropped. Each development's only prerequisite is the development preceding it in the tree. Also, it is possible to move your development track horizontally along each track, too (at a higher expense). So it is possible to move from Monarchy to Fascism, but it'll cost more research points.

I'm hard at work trying to get the updated components ready before I leave on a week vacation, so hopefully they'll be available before Monday morning.

Right now I'm stuck on trying to figure out a way to track a few more data points with something that'll fit in the tin. As it is I'm pretty much maxed out with cubes. I can fit two more in the case, but I need to track six stats each for two players. The game can be played without additional tracking, but it required adding up values each turn, which gets unwieldy. But I may have to stick with that, at least for a few of those stats...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
Oh, and on a side note... Any additional prerequisites (e.g. Communism requiring Atheism) have been dropped.

Aw, I liked that, it broke a bit the linearity of the tracks, and had you live up to your early choices. But maybe it streamlined them too much.

OK, let's stop bothering you for a couple of days until we can see in more details what you've come up with !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Fincastle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A meaty civilization game for two that fits in a mint tin? This sounds amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quinarbre wrote:
gjjaros wrote:
Oh, and on a side note... Any additional prerequisites (e.g. Communism requiring Atheism) have been dropped.

Aw, I liked that, it broke a bit the linearity of the tracks, and had you live up to your early choices. But maybe it streamlined them too much.

OK, let's stop bothering you for a couple of days until we can see in more details what you've come up with !

Yeah, we found that those extra prerequisites were a bit too restrictive. They forced you to really choose only one development path or another, and prolonged the game beyond what I wanted. So they have to go =( I liked them, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I wasn't able to get the components finished (need to finish making the maps and need to make components for the dial mechanisms I decided on for tracking the last two stats I need tracked).

But I did finish typing up the rules, for anyone that wants to take a look at them. http://georgejaros.com/Files/CivMint-Rules.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hefty one.
I have probably put more hours in digital Civ games in the past than at least half of the other ones put together. (IV being my favorite)
Looking forward for components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also love Civ games. Europa Universalis and hearts of Iron being two of my favourites. I will be following this one closely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! It is no easy feat to fit two civilizations into a tin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] CivMint - Mint Tin Contest 2016 - Component Ready
CivMint is component ready!

PnP Files:
Cards: http://georgejaros.com/Files/CivMint-Cards.pdf
Dials: http://georgejaros.com/Files/Bonus-Tracking-Dials-for-CivMin...

Other components needed:

- 16 8mm Stat Cubes (8 per player in a color that matches the dice)
- 12 8mm Resource Cubes (6 per player, one each of Yellow, Brown, Gray, Black, Blue, and Red)
- 16 12mm D6 Unit Dice (8 per player - 2 colors)
- 2 12mm D6 for random events and battle.
- 6 8mm Damage Cubes for battle.
- 6 Bonus Tracking dials printed above (3 per player – 1 Research, 1 Money, 1 Event Adjustments)
- - Mat board or chipboard for the dials.
- 1 First Player token.

Please let me know if you have any questions. The rules are quite long right now, so I know I need to consolidate them and format them so they'll fit in the mint tin, but that'll be my next project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
Right now I'm stuck on trying to figure out a way to track a few more data points with something that'll fit in the tin. As it is I'm pretty much maxed out with cubes.

Paper clips work great (if you are tracking things on the edge of the cards), and take up less space than cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
gjjaros wrote:
Right now I'm stuck on trying to figure out a way to track a few more data points with something that'll fit in the tin. As it is I'm pretty much maxed out with cubes.

Paper clips work great (if you are tracking things on the edge of the cards), and take up less space than cubes.

I'm considering switching to paperclips, but I'm not sure I have to. I think I have a good solution, although paperclips on a card may be easier to craft, so I'll consider it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
George, I'm getting an error when I attempt to navigate to the link for the dials--"the page cannot be found."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
George, I'm getting an error when I attempt to navigate to the link for the dials--"the page cannot be found."

It was working in the top post, but when I copied the links to post in the comment I missed a character. It's fixed in the comment now.

Cards: http://georgejaros.com/Files/CivMint-Cards.pdf
Dials: http://georgejaros.com/Files/Bonus-Tracking-Dials-for-CivMin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, George. Just looking through the rules. I was hoping to really take a close look at them, but my eyelids are struggling to stay open tonight. I'll keep this short so I can get to bed, and I'll continue to look through the rules this weekend.

It seems that there is definitely a lot going on in CivMint. I imagine playing a game would require frequent rules checks to see just what I am able to do; however, I'll see how this plays out during an actual game.

About how long are you finding the games taking, and what is your goal in relation to time?

I did want to alert you that there seems to be an inconsistency between components when comparing the components list with the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.