56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Token Bag App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I would like to announce Arkham Bag, an app to simulate the game’s token bag mechanic. It includes all the tokens found in the game (and maybe a few extra) and spits out one randomly from a user-assembled collection, of which you can create as many as you want.

You can download the app from the App Store (it is free, has no IAP nor any ads): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arkham/id1153235167

A few words about the software. Please keep in mind that I made the app mainly for myself (because I thought the token bag in AH a little too fiddly for my taste and wanted to simplify it). So, please excuse me if it does not look and feel as polished as other apps in my repertoire. If you have any suggestions for improvement, feel free to let me know, but keep in mind that this app is a very low-priority hobby project for me and may not have the time to implement every suggestion or new idea!

Also, don’t be alarmed about the tokens. Since I did not want to get into a legal battle with FFG, I redrawn all the tokens, and actually there is no mention of any FFG property in it. In fact, you can use the app for other games if you wish.

For those of you more technical savvy people: I use the arc4random_uniform() algorithm to pick the tokens.

That is about it. Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Rince
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!

If I can give suggestions make a default with all difficulties

Also, it seems that we will need two more things:

1-"get me another token" (as in a token different than the one drawn). This can be done by drawing over and over, but it is nice to have the option ready

2-"add X token to the bag". In theory some encounters do that. I would like to add it to the bag, but if I fail not having to reedit back to the beginning.

Instead you can do a "copy bag" operation for simplicity?

In any case, thanks a lot!

P.s: Is the game dead already? how many core sets do I need?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Nice! Now I just have to wait for my copy to turn up to try it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
If I can give suggestions make a default with all difficulties

I didn't do this on purpose as I did not want to make the app too FFG specific. also, the difficulties will--presumably--change with each scenario, so after a while, you would need whole lot of default bags.

Quote:
"get me another token" (as in a token different than the one drawn). This can be done by drawing over and over, but it is nice to have the option ready

This is certainly something to consider.

Quote:
2-"add X token to the bag". In theory some encounters do that. I would like to add it to the bag, but if I fail not having to reedit back to the beginning.

You can already edit any bag on the fly; it takes just one tap. A button like this would be more trouble than help in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is that after adding 3 or 4 (and failing the mission) i will want to go back to the original configuration
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I see your point. Sure, extra functionality could be added to address this "issue," but you have to consider the cost and benefits.

Yes, when you fail a scenario, you need to go back and take out those tokens you put in on top of the base ones. but, it only takes a few seconds with the current configuration. Sure, you can reduce that even further with new functionalities but the price would be a more cluttered app. With highly situational functionalities like this (ones you only use every once in a while) you have to be careful because you do not want to clutter up the program, and make it unnecessarily complicated.

Nevertheless, I take a mental note. Maybe there is a good way to implement it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bennett
msg tools
I think you just need a way to copy a bag. That way you could create a default bag for the scenario, duplicate it and use the copy during play. If you are planning to have different games going at the same scenario/campaign at the same time (maybe while waiting for new scenarios to be released), this would help too. It could also make creating just a tiny bit quicker, as creating a bag for a new scenario would just be modifying an old one, rather than creating a new one.

I think the app's great. Nice work!

EDIT: Perhaps you could have the copy button along with the delete button when you swipe a row?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeezix55 wrote:
EDIT: Perhaps you could have the copy button along with the delete button when you swipe a row?

This is a viable idea. I might actually to this at some point! It is not too hard to implement either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a very good idea, thank you! Any chance for a version for Android?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yes and no. While I do not code for Andorid, on FFG's message boards, someone has mentioned he is working on a universal (Android, iOS, and web) application of the same kind. I imagine it is only a matter of time before that app shows up on the Play Store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rinceart wrote:
Well, yes and no. While I do not code for Andorid, on FFG's message boards, someone has mentioned he is working on a universal (Android, iOS, and web) application of the same kind. I imagine it is only a matter of time before that app shows up on the Play Store.

Good enough. Thanks for the info!thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Amazing! Thank you so much for making this, it incredibly attractive in design too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic. I appreciate the simplicity, especially in game mode. Any chance you could put the project up on git hub for those of us that would enjoy experimenting with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use GitHub, but really, even if I did, you would not be impressed. All the app is, is a UITableView and two subsequent UIVeiws with a few UI elements on them that spits out a random token. Any first year IT student can make a better app in two hours. The only unique thing about it is the graphics (more or less), but obviously I don't really want to share that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bumping the topic up, so new people can discover the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the app but would like to see an ability to copy a bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfredo Contreras
msg tools
Any chance this came come out for Android?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Mesas
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
Awesome UI&UX

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfacharlie wrote:

For a cross-platform solution look here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1668919/virtual-chaos-bag
It is just a web app, but it can have a native app feel when you create a shortcut to it with "Add to Home screen".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
alfacharlie wrote:
I plan to make an app, but first I need to finish my Rebellion companion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The app seems beautiful, I give my full support if it ever comes to Android version.

I my self don't know how to create an Android app, sadly

In the meantime, those who'd like to emulate the Chaos Bag and have an access to internet on their mobile phone can got to:

http://lotr-lcg-quest-companion.com/chaosbags.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I like the app but would like to see an ability to copy a bag.

It will be in the next update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akaan Qualrus
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like this app and use it for all my games.

A missing feature is the ability to draw more than one token because there are some card effects that require to do so like Grotesque Statue or Final Rhapsody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rastislav Bodi
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What stores is this available except the US store?
I would like to try your app but its not available in Slovakian store (SK)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.