Subject: Completely untested Scythe Automa campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The following remark in another thread inspired me to cook up a completely untested campaign mode for Scythe Automa (proper playtesting would take way more time than I have available:

sdobby wrote:
Hmm...scythe campaign....

So here it is:

For each game:
1) Unless otherwise noted, you and the Automa get a random faction mat.
2) Unless otherwise noted you must as usual score more points as usual than the Automa in addition to any extra criteria for the specific campaign game.
3) Apply any special rules mentioned for the specific game.
4) Start with campaign game 1 and proceed to the next game every time you win.

Campaign game 1:
1a) Start with five random objective cards.
1b) You can score six stars from objectives
1c) You can only score stars from objectives.
1d) Every time you accomplish an objective, you draw two new ones into your hand and discard any one from the six you then have in your hand.
1e) You win if you get all six stars placed, otherwise you lose. Scores don’t matter.

Campaign game 2:
2a) If any of your units are forced to retreat, then place them back on your player mat.
2b) This can force you to take a star back, lose mech abilities, and lower the cost of producing.
2c) You can deploy your units again in the usual way and your character can be brought back with the deploy action as if it were a mech.
2d) During setup place one worker and one resource of your choice on all three territories of your home peninsula.

Campaign game 3:
3a) The Automa must not get the star for maximum power.
3b) You must get that star.
3c) You can choose your own faction and player mat.
3d) Choose a faction at random for the Automa after you’ve made your own choice.

Campaign game 4: The Automa must never control the Factory.

Campaign game 5:
5a) Automa workers acts as mechs once they’re on the board.
5b) They’re considered combat units and thus can’t share a territory with a mech or character.
5c) They use the non-attacking move mech rules instead of their normal movement rules.
5d) When the Automa is to perform any attack action, then workers are treated as if they were mechs.
5e) If you move a combat unit into a space with an Automa unit perform combat as if it was a mech.
5f) There’s no morale cost for forcing workers to retreat.
5g) Automa workers retreat to the faction mat instead of to the home base.

Campaign game 6:
6a) Play against an easier Automa than you usually do (e.g. Autometta if you usually play against Automa).
6b) During the end scoring, you only score for coins and resources.
6c) Resources score per 1 resource instead of per 2 resources.
6d) The rule that limits resource scoring per territory to 6 is still in effect.

Campaign game 7: At the end of the game the game you must control a territory on the Automa’s home peninsula.

Campaign game 8:
8a) Every time the Automa takes an action (not gain stuff) then perform that action twice.
8b) At the end of each of your turns place a resource of your choice on any territory with one of your workers.

Campaign game 9:
9a) You must get the star for maximum popularity.
9b) After you and the Automa have gotten your random faction mats you can choose your own player mat.

Campaign game 10: Take two stars of another color, so that you start with 8. If you place all 8 you win, otherwise you lose. Scores don’t matter.

Campaign game 11:
11a) Play as Saxony.
11b) You choose which faction the Automa plays.
11c) You choose your own player mat.
11d) You can only score stars from objectives and combat.

Campaign game 12: Do at least 7 encounters.

If you try it or one or more of the games, then I'd love to hear about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chasseur d'Ours
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are very interesting things that I want to try thanks

but for me, in a campaign it is common to maintain or improve something for the following scenario. You create a story

maybe keep resources, begin the next game with a Mech or one more worker or an upgrade or a recruit ....

EDIT : complete ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrycover wrote:
there are very interesting things
but for me, in a campaign it is common to maintain or improve something for the following scenario

I'd love to do a campaign like that also, but personally I'm a big fan of have scenarios that force you stop you to rethink your strategy and shake the game up.

It might be better to call it a set of challenges, rather than a campaign, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrycover wrote:
there are very interesting things taht I want to try thanks

but for me, in a campaign it is common to maintain or improve something for the following scenario. Your create a story

maybe keep resources, begin the next game with a Mech or one more worker or an upgrade or a recruit ....

Scythe Legacy cooperatively against a mech-army

*drool*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chasseur d'Ours
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Harrycover wrote:
but for me, in a campaign it is common to maintain or improve something for the following scenario

I'd love to do a campaign like that also, but personally I'm a big fan of have scenarios that force you stop you to rethink your strategy and shake the game up.

It might be better to call it a set of challenges, rather than a campaign, though.

ok you are right, they are independant challenges, and I love that too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibmaatsuki wrote:
Harrycover wrote:

but for me, in a campaign it is common to maintain or improve something for the following scenario. Your create a story

*drool*

We've been discussing turning Scythe into a cooperative game and lately I've been toying around with an idea for doing that. Whether we'll ever have the time to work on that in earnest, I don't know.

I did do a variant for playing with any combination of humans and Automas, which also includes rules for playing cooperatively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
this is great!

i assume that for experienced players challenges like that provide great replayability!

here another challenge: find a thematic reason to each of the above campaign games and order them in such a way that they together form a coherent story, story arc and everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
schroederjan wrote:
this is great!

i assume that for experienced players challenges like that provide great replayability!

That's my intention. Hopefully it can provide more replayability and thus give players more bang for their buck.

schroederjan wrote:
here another challenge: find a thematic reason to each of the above campaign games and order them in such a way that they together form a coherent story, story arc and everything.

I love that idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Harrycover wrote:

I'd agree with that; for me there needs to be some sense of progression for a campaign, either narrative progression (Most RTS video games, surprisigly rare to only have narrative progression in board games in my experience) or mechanical progression (Tuscany, both solo and regular), preferably both (Mice and Mystics, Pandemic Legacy, the vast majority of 'campaign games')

This looks like an interesting series of scenarios that when I'm more familiar with the game I'll likely give a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Csepregi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

We've been discussing turning Scythe into a cooperative game and lately I've been toying around with an idea for doing that. Whether we'll ever have the time to work on that in earnest, I don't know.

OMG this would be sooo great. I love this game as it is, but my main playgroup prefers coop games over confrontative ones, and while Scythe gets played even so (because it is that good!), a coop variant would be epic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
w_mute wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

OMG this would be sooo great. I love this game as it is, but my main playgroup prefers coop games over confrontative ones, and while Scythe gets played even so (because it is that good!), a coop variant would be epic!

My husband isn't usually big on coops, but... Coops usually work solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Segovia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,in a humble effort to turn this magnificent proposal into a story mode connecting between each stage, I have taken the liberty to integrate these proposals in a game system in a little “campaign mode”.

Just pretend with it to give a touch of color and atmosphere to the ideas shown, hoping that someone can serve to enjoy this wonderful game.
Also to create a link between scenarios and reflect the consequences of success or failure of each other level, I added a small initial bonus that can affect minimally the setup, but assumes that there is a difference resulting from the previous score.

After playing all the scenarios, you can calculate your score. Remember to take note on a paper of the final points after each of your games.

How to calculate points:

At the end of each scenario you get:
• +1 point for each star achieved (normally 0 to 6 except for scenario 10)
• +1 point if you win the scenario
• +1 point if this is your 3rd consecutive win in a row (streak)
• -2 points if you fail the scenario

Rank by results:

Here you can measure your success ratio and compare it with others or just with your previous campaign.

0-10 – Peasant; 11-20 – Squire; 21-30 – Private; 31-40 – Soldier; 41-50 – Captain; 51-60 – Colonel; 61-70 – Major General; 71-80 – Lieutenant General; 81-90 – General; 90+ - General of the Army

The Automa Campaign: Rise of a Leader

Although the story recounts the rise of a young military command of the forces of his country, starting in each faction will be chosen according to the rules set by it. At this point we need some abstraction that hope does not affect the progression of the story. If we want to give more intensity to the realism of the campaign, we recommend choosing a faction to play with her throughout the campaign ignoring the selection of faction indicated in the scenarios (this may hinder some stage 11 as it is based primarily on the ability of the Saxons)

Campaign game 1: At your service

You're a promising young officer of the army of your country and you have been given the responsibility of running a small contingent in order to get settled in the prosperous lands of Eastern Europe. You must obey the orders received from your superiors and achieve all the objectives, choosing those that best suit your resources and skills.

1a) Start with five random objective cards.
1b) You can score six stars from objectives
1c) You can only score stars from objectives.
1d) Every time you accomplish an objective, you draw two new ones into your hand and discard any one from the six you then have in your hand.
1e) You win if you get all six stars placed, otherwise you lose. Scores don’t matter.

If you win: Start the next stage with +2 Popularity
If you lose: it begins the next stage with -1 Popularity

Campaign game 2: Logistics

After your first steps as army commander, your forces begin to have weight in the region. There are still some logistical problems that prevent us from developing our headquarters in the capital, so that we can, for now, only use it as a temporary step for our troops. We hope that changes soon.

2a) If any of your units are forced to retreat, then place them back on your player mat.
2b) This can force you to take a star back, lose mech abilities, and lower the cost of producing.
2c) You can deploy your units again in the usual way and your character can be brought back with the deploy action as if it were a mech.
2d) During setup place one worker and one resource of your choice on all three territories of your home peninsula.

If you win: Start the next stage with +2 Power
If you lose: it begins the next stage with -1 Power

Campaign game 3: Power Struggle

Once established an operational and stable base in the capital, it is time to show our military Power to neighbors. We have to prevail over the rest and prevent them to improve ourselves militarily. Commander, this is now his main goal.

3a) The Automa must not get the star for maximum Power.
3b) You must get that star.
3c) You can choose your own faction and player mat.
3d) Choose a faction at random for the Automa after you’ve made your own choice.

If you win: Start the next stage with +2 Power

Campaign game 4: The artifact

We know that this factory contains technological secrets of great significance that can change the balance of power in this region. Commander, you must prevent at all costs the enemy controls the Factory. Do not skimp on resources to achieve it.

4a) The Automa must never control the Factory.

If you win: Start the next stage with +1 Power

Campaign game 5: Guerrilla warfare

Our spies tell us that the enemy is equipping its partisans and encouraging sporadic attacks across the border. We cannot allow these guerrillas run free through our territory. Put up factories and send troops to halt their advance.

5a) Automa workers acts as mechs once they’re on the board.
5b) They’re considered combat units and thus can’t share a territory with a mech or character.
5c) They use the non-attacking move mech rules instead of their normal movement rules.
5d) When the Automa is to perform any attack action, then workers are treated as if they were mechs.
5e) If you move a combat unit into a space with an Automa unit perform combat as if it was a mech.
5f) There’s no morale cost for forcing workers to retreat.
5g) Automa workers retreat to the faction mat instead of to the home base.

If you win: Start the next stage with +1 combat card
If you lose: it begins the next stage with -1 combat card

Campaign game 6: Fill the granaries

The wear in the last campaign against militias has emptied our reserves of grain and metal. We need to replenish our resources and prepare for the cold winter ahead. The priority is overflow the warehouses!

6a) Play against an easier Automa than you usually do (e.g. Autometta if you usually play against Automa).
6b) During the end scoring, you only score for coins and resources.
6c) Resources score per 1 resource instead of per 2 resources.
6d) The rule that limits resource scoring per territory to 6 is still in effect.

If you win: Start the next stage with coins +2
If you lose: it begins the next stage with coins -1

Campaign game 7: Close watch

New rumors indicate that the enemy is reassembling, probably with the idea of avenging his last defeat. We will not wait seated, we must establish a checkpoint and control within its own territory. Commander, we trust you.

7a) At the end of the game the game you must control a territory on the Automa’s home peninsula.
If you win: Start the next stage with Power +1
If you lose: it begins the next stage with Power -1

Campaign game 8: Double danger

Although some of our neighbors have already given up on attacking us, some still think they can defeat us. We know that one of our neighbors has achieved a technology that allows him to optimize their journeys, and think to use it against us. You have a new mission, commander…

8a) Every time the Automa takes an action (not gain stuff) then perform that action twice.
8b) At the end of each of your turns place a resource of your choice on any territory with one of your workers.

If you win: Start the next stage with Power +1
If you lose: it begins the next stage with Power -1

Campaign game 9: Campaign for prestige

Apparently, our military maneuvers are not being very applauded by the people. We need to increase our popularity with the utmost urgency. Commander, this time his mission is one of peace, or at least it should look like.

9a) You must get the star for maximum popularity.
9b) After you and the Automa have gotten your random faction mats you can choose your own player mat.

If you win: Start the next stage with +2 Popularity
If you lose: it begins the next stage with -1 Popularity

Campaign game 10: King of kings

We know that the higher your Power is more expensive to keep. We must show that we are far superior to the enemy, in this case more success getting them in all fields. Commander, I hope not disappoint me.

10a) Take two stars of another color, so that you start with 8. If you place all 8 you win, otherwise you lose. Scores don’t matter.

If you win: Start the next stage with +1 combat card
If you lose: it begins the next stage with -1 combat card

Campaign game 11: Warlord

War has broken out. The enemy has not been able support our escalating prestige and Power and is ready to invade at any time. That cannot happen, Commander. Prepare your army and smash those insurgents.

11a) Play as Saxony.
11b) You choose which faction the Automa plays.
11c) You choose your own player mat.
11d) You can only score stars from objectives and combat.

If you win: Start with the following scenario Popularity +1
If you lose: it begins the next stage with Popularity -1

Campaign game 12: Peace times

The war is over. Now comes the time to heal the wounds. Commander, the people need your inspiring presence now more than ever. Talk to them and give them the necessary force to return to their daily chores. Reestablish peace.

12a) Do at least 7 encounters.

If you win: End of campaign. Calculate final score.
If you lose: End of campaign. Calculate final score.

I hope you like it
This system has not been tested neither, try to do it soon, appreciate comments, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Antonio's modification I'd definitely consider a campaign, albeit a slight one but... Lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elsegolas wrote:

Wow, that was quick!
well done!
i don´t know how to justify it from a thematic point of view, but for game play it might be more useful to award the loser and handicap the winner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schroederjan wrote:
elsegolas wrote:

Wow, that was quick!
well done!
i don´t know how to justify it from a thematic point of view, but for game play it might be more useful to award the loser and handicap the winner?

The same way that Morten justifies the automa in the blurb about the solo, but with more personality. Win and pulls its socks up, lose and it gets cocky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
schroederjan wrote:
elsegolas wrote:

Wow, that was quick!
well done!

The same way that Morten justifies the automa in the blurb about the solo, but with more personality. Win and pulls its socks up, lose and it gets cocky.

makes sense!
in that case the modifications should probably be on the automa´s side though, but why not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schroederjan wrote:
Gizensha wrote:
schroederjan wrote:
elsegolas wrote:

Wow, that was quick!
well done!

makes sense!
in that case the modifications should probably be on the automa´s side though, but why not!

...Means the popularity modifiers wouldn't work, mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
schroederjan wrote:
Gizensha wrote:
schroederjan wrote:
elsegolas wrote:

Wow, that was quick!
well done!

makes sense!

...Means the popularity modifiers wouldn't work, mind...

that´s true!
but a bragging winner can quickly become unpopular... - (and thinking about it that way he could also become less rich (more financial effort) and less strong (well, sort of - too tough on the soldiers mabye?))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great Morten. Thanks for not asking me to playtest it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
w_mute wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

The following variant allows you to play coop against multiple Automas, e.g. 2 vs. 2 or 3 humans vs. 2 very tough Automas. It's limited by the game's current max player count of 5.

The idea I've been toying around with currently is aimed at 1-5 humans playing coop against one powerful automated opponent that's different than normal players.

Whether there'll ever be time to take it beyond some initial mechanics I don't know. That would to a large extent be Jamey's call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work Antonio. Thank for making that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DJStudley wrote:
This looks great Morten. Thanks for not asking me to playtest it

My project plan has you as the main playtester on this after you've playtested the latest revision of Forest of the Shadow and the next revision of Burn a Bigger Dystopia .

Now quit dawdling and get to work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
w_mute wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

I have played a co-op game using Morten's Multi-Automa/Cooperative Rules. It works really well, although I would suggest setting the Automa a level higher in difficulty than you usually do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed this!

If I have some time and available table space in the coming weeks/months I'll give the campaign a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibmaatsuki wrote:
Harrycover wrote:

*drool*

Scythe: Rise of Tesla's Mechs

The Mechs are spreading across the board...trying to take over all players' home areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.