5 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: House Rule (devoured) - game difficulty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Van Maldeghem
Belgium
flag msg tools
I have this house rule (especially when playing solo and playing with multiple investigators) that when a character is devoured I don't pick a new investigator.
However, I do then take a new reference sheet. All ongoing effects still require the original number of items, but any new mysterys or mythos cards take the new number of investigators in accoordance.

Do you think this decreases the difficulty of the game?
Just now I had a game starting with 4 investigators. Spending quite some time on first mystery (a bit too long, actually), went over the 2nd one faster but then ended up with 2 investigators devoured and only 2 left.
Onto the final mystery (and only 1 mythos card left, so time ticking) and I needed an amount of clues equal to investigators after research encounters. Both my investigators managed this in the final round and I won the game (for the first time ever, too!).

But now my question is: is this a deserved victory? Because I only needed 2 there in the end after losing 2 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how the overall average difficulty would be affected, but it seems odd to me the idea that an investigator being devoured in the Mythos phase could immediately lead to a victory you otherwise wouldn't have achieved for another turn or more!

Or indeed an investigator being devoured causing an Epic Monster on the other side of the world to suddenly keel over and die from its previously non-fatal wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Van Maldeghem
Belgium
flag msg tools
LeonardQuirm wrote:
I'm not sure how the overall average difficulty would be affected, but it seems odd to me the idea that an investigator being devoured in the Mythos phase could immediately lead to a victory you otherwise wouldn't have achieved for another turn or more!

Or indeed an investigator being devoured causing an Epic Monster on the other side of the world to suddenly keel over and die from its previously non-fatal wounds.

Like I said, current stats are not effected (so the epic monster still keeps his health according to the more players)

Also, the investigator was devoured two turns from the end. Upon drawing that final mystery, I only had 2 investigators, and only 2 to solve it with. Had I drawn it with 3 investigators and THEN lost one, I would've had to solve the mystery with 3 clue tokens instead of 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMaldeghemJ wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:

Like I said, current stats are not effected (so the epic monster still keeps his health according to the more players)

Also, the investigator was devoured two turns from the end. Upon drawing that final mystery, I only had 2 investigators, and only 2 to solve it with. Had I drawn it with 3 investigators and THEN lost one, I would've had to solve the mystery with 3 clue tokens instead of 2.

Ah, sorry, didn't read closely enough. I'd probably say it's overall fine, if not actually increasing the difficulty of the game - if you get devoured early in a mystery, you're going to be struggling along for a while with fewer than the number of investigators you should have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dante miraglia
Argentina
flag msg tools
i think starting with a different investigator is designed so that there is no player elimination, if you are playing solo with multiple investigators it shouldn't be a problem, i do the same thing.
when playing eldritch horror i have the golden rule in mind(more so when playing solo): the most important thing is the story and the theme, if something makes more sense story wise then go for it. Eldritch horror is not a perfectly balanced game anyways, you should play to have fun and experience a good, lovecraftian-themed choose your own adventure story

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.