Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Juan Llanos
Spain
Alcala de Henares
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi:

Who will publish this? Will be a KS campaign? X publisher?
Where can we see the rules?
Is this still in development?
When will it be out?
By the pictures seems you are recording a gameplay, right? can we see it? whistle
Where can I be updated on news about this game?
How does it play with 2P? Each player only choses one hero?

Sorry to ask, but not much info on the bgg page, description sounds awesome and pictures looks great

best regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
Lover and creator of immersive games, join the adventure!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jose, this is fantastic! Thank you for asking so many great questions.

Whilst we've been designing the game for a long time we've only recently started releasing information about how things work. You are 100% right that there isn't enough available right now and I'm personally working on releasing new info every week until it's all available.

So to answer your questions!

Who will publish this? Will be a KS campaign? X publisher?

We will be self publishing with the aid of KS.

Our plan over the next few years is to create a series of games within The City of Kings world, each telling different parts of the stories.

(and don't worry, by series I don't directly mean expansions - I mean different standalone games with perhaps the odd expansion if it makes sense for that game).

Where can we see the rules?

The rules are being written as we speak, as soon as they are completed they will be uploaded and made available. We've just finished putting design files together to print our final prototypes for photo shoots/reviews so writing the rules is our next task.

Is this still in development?

Yes/No, we're still doing a lot of playtests and there is a chance something might change, but the current version is playing well and I don't expect anything major to come up at this point.

With that said, the game is played over 7 stories with each story representing a single playthrough. Currently the first story is complete and the other 6 are in draft format. The mechanics are in place but we're still finalising numbers for balance. So the balance part of these 6 stories is still in development.

When will it be out?

Currently we aim to launch a KS in January, but this may change should we experience delays printing prototypes or getting reviews.

By the pictures seems you are recording a gameplay, right? can we see it? whistle

The playtests are recorded so we can re-watch parts of the game play, we also take short clips for videos such as this one:

But I need to get further permission from playtesters before I can upload the entire videos. The plan is to record some more playthroughs once the printed prototype arrives and to release them.

Where can I be updated on news about this game?

What's your favourite method?

Facebook: /tcokgame
Google+: +TCoKgame
Instagram: tcokgame
Twitter: @tcokgame
Twitch: tcokgame
YouTube: tcokgame
BoardGameGeek: The City of Kings
BoardGameGeek WIP: The City of Kings

I would recommend signing up for the newsletter on our website, as this will tell you about big updates (rules release/KS launch etc).

YouTube has a variety of videos we are adding to each week and all the other social platforms are active.

How does it play with 2P? Each player only choses one hero?

That's correct, the 2, 3 and 4 player modes are 1 hero per player.

However you can always choose to play multiple characters if you really want to, it just breaks a bit of the roleplaying nature of the game.

Sorry to ask, but not much info on the bgg page, description sounds awesome and pictures looks great

It's not a problem, please feel free to ask more questions! And if you ever want to know something just let us know and we'll get back to you asap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Juan Llanos
Spain
Alcala de Henares
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

It's really great the communication with the creators, and I appreciate your answers. If I'd known you were going to answer 1 by 1, I would ask more!!

Main doubts mostly solved, just one more, how about replayability?

The stories are in order?
Can we play the same story many times? or once you solved one, there is no excitement in doing it again?
Is there any legacy feature? I've seen you level up during the game, but those resets on each story, right?

And I see will be highly language dependent, right?

Looking forward to see more content of the game
Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll always do my best to answer everything when I have time!

It's great to get feedback and hear peoples thoughts on various things. It's really helped to shape the game over the last year.

Main doubts mostly solved, just one more, how about replayability?

The game is designed around replayability and you will be able to play the stories countless times, having a unique experience each time.

Here's some useful facts!

- There are 47 map tiles (and the starting tile) and they are randomly placed each time you play. So for example, you may find resources nearby or they could be in the furthest corners which is likely to change how you customise your workers stats (especially movement).

- There are 112 side quests, how many you encounter in a game varies but 5 - 8 seems a typical amount.

- Each character has 9 stats which produces 90 different places you could spend stat points. You generally get 20 - 30 stats in a session.

- Each character has 12 unique skills, you can only choose 3 per session so you'd have to play each of the 6 characters 4 times to try them all. Not to mention the different combinations.

- Creatures (read this one!) are one of our truly stand out features that every play tester comments on. When you encounter creatures they are generated via a set of rules (it's a very quick setup), these rules help to make each creature unique and will often require you to think of new strategies to beat them. For instance, thinking about your position, using terrain, killing it fast or running away until later. We will be releasing loads of info on how this works (and videos) very soon!

So even if you played the same story, and some how put all the map tiles in the same place, selected the same characters, took the same skills and happened to deal the same quest cards (which will never happen), you will have a completely different experience based on the rules that make the creatures so varied.

The stories are in order?

They are in order and we'd recommend playing them 1 by 1, but you don't have to, it would just spoil the overall story.

Can we play the same story many times? or once you solved one, there is no excitement in doing it again?

Hopefully covered this one in the replayability section!

Is there any legacy feature? I've seen you level up during the game, but those resets on each story, right?

Here's a post I wrote in June when someone asked if The City of Kings was a legacy game, this should answer your question!

Quote:
Is The City of Kings a legacy game?

I’ll keep this somewhat vague to not spoil anything

The story mode which sits at the core of our game consists of 7 stories, the stories continue on from each other and tell of the world. They introduce you to the characters and what is happening. The final story takes place once you have learned of various things and you must go on a final adventure.

The game is made up of a modular board and the combinations of tiles you use changes from story to story. You are gradually introduced to more parts of the game, more options, challenges and so on. With that said each story can be setup at any time, your earnings aren’t persistent and nothing is destroyed or unlocked (opened from a sealed box).

So no, it’s not a legacy game in the strictest sense, but each time you play (until you complete the game) you’ll be able to progress the story and feel as if things are changing and moving on around you. So there are similarities for sure.

Why?

There is nothing greater than going on an adventure with your friends, exploring and discovering new things. We want you to be able to play The City of Kings as many times as you like, sure you might have a singular group you play through the story mode with but you will always be able to replay each part with different people.

The game has so many possibilities you’ll never experience the same adventure twice, so why not experience new adventures with new friends whenever there is a chance.

Read the full post here

And I see will be highly language dependent, right?

Unfortunately yes, there is a lot of story going on which you can skip, but it takes a way a bit of the experience.

We are looking into options and whether we can at least provide helpers in some areas but I expect the initial release will be English only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cesar fdez
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. I just discover this game, and im pretty impressed with the art, lore and posibilities of it. Ill watching carefully. Good luck and congrats for your nice work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rheam wrote:
Hello everyone. I just discover this game, and im pretty impressed with the art, lore and posibilities of it. Ill watching carefully. Good luck and congrats for your nice work

Hi Cesar, I'm glad you found us and hope you enjoy following along! If you get any questions feel free to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bee
msg tools
With enough money with your Kickstarter campaign: can you please make a german version of this game?
Serious, Kingdom Death Monster-> only english, Gloomhaven-> only english... please not your game too, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeavenHell wrote:
With enough money with your Kickstarter campaign: can you please make a german version of this game?
Serious, Kingdom Death Monster-> only english, Gloomhaven-> only english... please not your game too, please!

I'm sorry, I wish I could

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCityofKings wrote:

We will be self publishing with the aid of KS.

Our plan over the next few years is to create a series of games within The City of Kings world, each telling different parts of the stories.

(and don't worry, by series I don't directly mean expansions - I mean different standalone games with perhaps the odd expansion if it makes sense for that game).

I'm already a backer on Kickstarter, however, the more I read about your game the more excited I'm getting!

Please could you clarify if these standalone games will be playable all together? Or are they to be played on their own?

I suppose playing them together would no longer make sense in the story mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Helen,

Thanks for supporting the campaign!

At this point I'm not able to confirm the exact plans as it's still very early days and far too early to announce things, but I can say this.

The long term plan is to make games that both add on to this game and games which are entirely separate. There are plans for expansions, party games, micro games and even a few new ideas that I couldn't possible explain just yet.

But everything will be within the world and some will add on directly to this game.

I hope that helps a little!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
TheCityofKings wrote:
Hi Helen,

At this point I'm not able to confirm the exact plans as it's still very early days and far too early to announce things, but I can say this.

The long term plan is to make games that both add on to this game and games which are entirely separate. There are plans for expansions, party games, micro games and even a few new ideas that I couldn't possible explain just yet.

But everything will be within the world and some will add on directly to this game.

So exciting Frank to hear about all the ideas and plans you have, especially as they incorporate into this world that you've developed. I hope to get to experience it all. Maybe my pension cheques will be paying for your games by the time you're done

P.S. You just inspired me to upgrade to the collector's edition, I'd imagine that 100 page art book would really elaborate on the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Alex,

I really do appreciate that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCityofKings wrote:
Hi Helen,

Excellent, it does help. That sounds like the best of all worlds!

I'm looking forward to playing the base game. But it'll be exciting to see what will come in the future as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.