$30.00
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Hello gamers,

I have started to learn the game and I haven`t understood a special principle within the sequence of play yet.

The situation is a s follows. The phasing player attacks with ranged support and flips the used units afterwards. Now the defending player reacts with supporting mortars or other units.

My questions: Does the defending player has to flip his reacting units to the "fired" side after action? This means that he cannot use this flipped units afterwards in his own turn ? I am bit confused especially with the mechanics of the reset phase in which you have to flip your "fired" units. It would mean that the second player has the chance to do ranged attacks twice against the first player ? Hm, I am confused...

Any help will be appreciated kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as the defender you can fire your indirect artillery units, mortars for example, and then flip them at the start of your own turn.

This is a reason for the Finns to (almost) never fire mortars or artillery in their own turn, because it will be unavailable in the Russian turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Okay, let me specifiy this:

1. Attacker (Russians) uses mortars etc. for ranged attack support -> checks RAT and then flips to the "fired" side

2. Defender (Finns) wishes to use defensive support with mortars etc. -> reacts, checks RAT and the flips.

3. The usual combat takes place.

4. Player 2 (Finns) reset phase: Flips the above units back to the "ready" side !!

Is this the correct sequence ? Because based on your answer I would assume that the Finns would not be able now to use their ranged units. But aftr fliiping in reset they are ready to fire !? Hm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but if the Finn mortars fire on Turn 1 during the Finn turn, they won't be available during the Russian Turn 2. This is usually not good, especially in the early part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfen2000 wrote:
Okay, let me specifiy this:

1. Attacker (Russians) uses mortars etc. for ranged attack support -> checks RAT and then flips to the "fired" side

2. Defender (Finns) wishes to use defensive support with mortars etc. -> reacts, checks RAT and the flips.

3. The usual combat takes place.

4. Player 2 (Finns) reset phase: Flips the above units back to the "ready" side !!

Is this the correct sequence ? Because based on your answer I would assume that the Finns would not be able now to use their ranged units. But aftr fliiping in reset they are ready to fire !? Hm...

Correct. Sorry if my answer wasn't clear.

Usually the Finns use their indirect fire units in the Russian turn, then flipping them in the reset phase of their own turn but NOT using them in an attack in order to save them for the next Russian turn.

The Russians also should keep an artillery unit or two "in reserve" (=not using it during their own turn), to keep the Finns honest about crossing a lake and counterattacking , at least after Day 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Thanx to you guys for the big help. No I see things clear cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.