Captain Sonar» Forums » General

Subject: Questions from someone who has never played the game before... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When your team shouts 'STOP!' moments after the captain on the opposition side has said 'North' but before any other crew members respond to it, is the sub in it's old position before the captain said north or the new position they'd be in after heading north?

2. Once the captain shouts an instruction 'HEAD NORTH', is that it, it can't be rescinded? So if the engineer says 'No no no, don't do that, it'll break the torpedos' can the captain change his mind and go a different direction instead? And if so, how is this relayed to the opposition radio operator as he is only listening to the opposition captain shouting directions?

3. If you shout 'STOP!', then realise you can't fire or do your intended action, is there any penalty? Seems like there should be as you could just use it to your advantage at any time? Maybe you have to cross off a symbol on the engineers sheet as a punishment if you shout stop and find you can't do an action?

4. After you have surfaced and completed the tasks you then show your work to the oppositions engineer. Does the opposition team have to wait while he does this? Otherwise can't he take his time studying it just so his team gets more of an advantage?

5. In a 6 player game, wouldn't it make more sense to have the radio operator in the middle of the captain and engineer? This way the captain and engineer will have to communicate more so they know where they stand. If the engineer sits next to the captain then the captain will just look at the engineers sheet and there's no need to say anything, thus making the game rather quiet and less talky? Has anybody tried this, and did you find that it worked better/worse with regards to getting people talking and working as part of a team? I'm talking exclusively as a 6 player game here.

6. Any other advice for a 6 player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
1. I'm not sure about this, but I would count that as the sub has moved North already (i.e. new position). Mostly because it'd be cleaner (no need to check with players), but also because if we did it the other way the window for calling STOP for torpedoes is greatly reduced (i.e. there's very little time between the end of one move and the Captain calling out another, in my experience).

2. No rescinding, unless the move is impossible, then you make it clear that what you actually meant to the enemy radio operator and your team mates. Otherwise there would be a much smaller penalty for poor communication if rescinding like that was allowed.

3. I don't really see any real advantage to call STOP and realise you can't do anything. Unless you mean people would just call STOP and feign confusion to buy time (in which case I think that's just bad sportmanship).

4. Similar to 3, the engineer taking their time studying it would be bad sportmanship, imo. The rules do state that a team can keep functioning as per normal throughout the surfacing/diving of the opposing team.

Can't say much about number 5 and 6, because I haven't played a 6 player game. I imagine a lot of communication would still be required though because the engineer should be trying to ease the Captain's mental load, thus avoiding the Captain glancing at the Engineer's sheet and playing a pseudo-engineer.

Also, with a 6 player game, since the Captain is taking on the First Mate's role, I would think there should be even more communication with the Radio Operator than usual because the Captain is now in charge of activating the Drone and Sonar functions when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1.Of cause they should use the OLD position, because a whole MOVE process is require both captain and first mate and engineerO to finish their part.

1.As soon as captain shout out "HEAD XXXX", their ship will move to that point.

2.For this one, I think the captain should think before he shout out, once he shout out the direction, he cannot change it.

3.There is no penalty i think, when you shout "STOP", everybody just stop and listen, so i don't think this really give you advantages..

4.Of cause the opposite team don't need to wait, their captain can still shout out directions and the first mate still can charge and the engineer still break something. I don't think he can hold it and pretend to check and take advantage of those time.

5.The players' position is already setup. Also, because someone has to performance both captain and first mate, I think it's fine for them to sit next engineer and discus more easier.

6. I've played several games of 6, I think turn-by-turn is better..cause it's more stragy than real time.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bim-Merle
United States
Trail Creek
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmczyn wrote:
1.Of cause they should use the OLD position, because a whole MOVE process is require both captain and first mate and engineerO to finish their part.

I have to disagree with you on this point. The rules don't say (I'm paraphrasing) that the engineer and first mate must say "okay" for the move to be completed. The rule simply states that the captain cannot call out another move until first getting both "okays." I take it to mean that as soon as the words "head...." are spoken the sub is in the new position but cannot move again until both "okays" are spoken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
I agree with Tirerndil. In addition, this interpretation also makes sense given that the opposing Radio Operator should be recording the called out move as soon as the Captain announces it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, thanks for point that out. I was wrong about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Houghton
Michigan
flag msg tools
tigerwalms wrote:
4. After you have surfaced and completed the tasks you then show your work to the oppositions engineer. Does the opposition team have to wait while he does this? Otherwise can't he take his time studying it just so his team gets more of an advantage?

When shown the picture, the engineer should not do anything else (mark, say "ok") until confirming or denying the drawing. This prevents their own team from taking more than a single move, essentially pausing the game. This prevents the abuse and avoids the engineer being distracted by their own team's movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.