Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Old School Tactical» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sequence of play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
In our game today we were surprised to see that there isn't really a place in the rules where the turn sequence is described, apart from being listed in the summary chart. As a result we weren't sure when we count the turn counter down. Does this occur at the very beginning of the turn in the "Turn marker" phase in or at the "End of turn". This has big implications for games as it will move forward by 1 turn when reinforcements appear, game ends etc if it is done at the beginning of the turn.

I also want to say even though I have put 3 threads for questions we had a blast and found the game very intuitive with a great flow with the impulse system. The rule queries are pretty minor and it is great fun. Loving this system and looking forward to OST volume 2!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn counter decremented at the end of the turn, after all Impulses expended.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakon wrote:
In our game today we were surprised to see that there isn't really a place in the rules where the turn sequence is described, apart from being listed in the summary chart. As a result we weren't sure when we count the turn counter down. Does this occur at the very beginning of the turn in the "Turn marker" phase in or at the "End of turn". This has big implications for games as it will move forward by 1 turn when reinforcements appear, game ends etc if it is done at the beginning of the turn.

I also want to say even though I have put 3 threads for questions we had a blast and found the game very intuitive with a great flow with the impulse system. The rule queries are pretty minor and it is great fun. Loving this system and looking forward to OST volume 2!



Hey Craig,
Glad you're enjoying the game.

Yes the Turn Sequence is only on the Play Aid, though I should put this in the Rulebook, many others have mentioned this as well.

The Turn marker is moved at the start of a new turn. Counting down.
Then move down the sequence list form there for the turn.

Basically stuff at the start regarding your forces prep for the turn, any Free Rally/Bog rolls, and any rolls activated by the scenario say for OBA etc.

Then roll for Initiative.
Then roll for Impulse pts.

Then play out turn using Impulse pts.
Then resolve any Melees.

Housekeeping, remove all action markers and score Victory pts if called to by scenario.
End of Turn.

Then back to top unless it is the last turn, then check for extended play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. I have been playing wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks Shayne. Given I proof-read the rules perhaps this was also something I should have picked up!

martimer wrote:
Oh. I have been playing wrong.


That was how I was saying it too Martin. I think it is probably the same if you do it at the start (after the first turn) or end of the turn in practice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was at the end because otherwise it makes an 8 turn scenario 7 turns and maybe 8, which is counterintuitive until you get used to it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
martimer wrote:
I thought it was at the end because otherwise it makes an 8 turn scenario 7 turns and maybe 8, which is counterintuitive until you get used to it.


You are right Martin, which is why I asked the question. If it is moved at the start of the turn rather than the end then everything happens 1 turn sooner - end of game, reinforcements etc. this can make a big difference in the scenarios.

I actually misread Shayne's response and thought that he was saying this happens at the beginning of a new turn after the first turn - which would be virtually the same as moving it at the end of the turn. I think we need a ruling from the designer!

Just to clarify Shayne if you may - is the rule that the turn marker is moved at the beginning of every turn, including the first? If this is the case I am guessing that most people would be playing this incorrectly and this would be good to put in a FAQ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn sequence is pretty clear to me. Unusual, but clear.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
martimer wrote:
The turn sequence is pretty clear to me. Unusual, but clear.


I think it is a very different way of doing it so I have a hard time getting my head around it when it is not explicitly written in the rules. But you are right, it looks like you count down at the beginning of turns from the first turn. It is a different way of doing things but nothing wrong with that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Start of a 5 turn scenario. Turn marker is placed on 5.
Play to end of turn 5.
Start of next turn, move marker down to turn 4.
After playing 5 turns, the turn marker will be on 1.

Then a roll to check for an extended turn.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamm22 wrote:
Start of a 5 turn scenario. Turn marker is placed on 5.
Play to end of turn 5.
Start of next turn, move marker down to turn 4.
After playing 5 turns, the turn marker will be on 1.

Then a roll to check for an extended turn.
So the scenario actually starts at the Reinforcements phase (where the starting units enter the map).

That makes perfect sense to me. Sometimes (or maybe often?) I am slow. I get it now. Thanks! I promise I was not trying to be dense, I succeeded without trying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Ok. I have got it now! Thanks Shayne.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.