Subject: More to life than board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I travel to Germany (about once a year) I always go shopping for stuff (read food) that are harder to find where I live (Sweden). Are you in the same situation? What, other than new board games, are you hoping to find in or around Essen to bring with you home?

Here's my list:

REWE Spekulatius Glück, awesome bread spread with the taste of ginger bread. My kids absolutely love this and it's the only reason my family agree to let me go to Spiel each year.

REWE Sanfte Pistazie, another bread spread - smoother than the Spekulatius one and better in my opinion. Kinda like Nutella de luxe.

Haribo Ingwer-Zitrone, candy for grown ups. And acquired taste for sure. A friend of mine really digs these.

Ritter Sport Knusperkeks, Ritter Sport can be found on occasion in Sweden but not in all the flavours that exists in Germany. This one is my personal favorite.

Ritter Sport Pfefferminz, my second favorite - even more rare in Sweden than Knusperkeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live 30 km from Ritter Sport. So no, I don't consider food in Essen that special I do get Japanese stuff from Düsseldorf each year.

I also think that the Spekulatius stuff is limited to September-December every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that Haribo now has a candy called (I think) Baerchen Paerchen - or something like that. Gummi Bears that come in pairs - one sweet, one sour. That's something I'm going to have to hunt down!

That pistachio spread looks great. Is it sweet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
I understand that Harbiro now has a candy called (I think) Baerchen Paerchen - or something like that. Gummi Bears that come in pairs - one sweet, one sour. That's something I'm going to have to hunt down!

Thanks! I'm adding those to my list!

debwentworth wrote:
That pistachio spread looks great. Is it sweet?

Yes it's sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that Aldi started in Essen. I've been reading about the history of the founders, the Albrecht brothers - very interesting. The very popular (in the U.S.) Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soulbender wrote:
What, other than new board games, are you hoping to find in or around Essen to bring with you home?

Not to bring home, but my wife already declared those pancakes with Nutella you can get inside the halls as a "must-visit booth" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Davies
United Kingdom
Haddenham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those spreads (especially the Pistachio one!) look amazing! Which retailers tend to stock them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Davies
United Kingdom
Haddenham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
soulbender wrote:
What, other than new board games, are you hoping to find in or around Essen to bring with you home?

Not to bring home, but my wife already declared those pancakes with Nutella you can get inside the halls as a "must-visit booth" whistle

I'm quite looking forward to the flammkuchen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
More to life than board games??

But seriosuly, those Spekulatius things are awesome (esp. the 3/4kg packets). But don't you have them as Pepparkakor in Sweden? That's what our local IKEA would lead me to believe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We go grocery shopping in Aachen twice a year - it's only a 45 minute drive and it saves us load of €€€, especially on household products. These savings are then immediately spent on delicacies such as Käsegriller (spicy sausages filled with cheese), Knoflhex (a dried garlic sausage) and sauce mixes for Spätzle. We'll also visit the bakery and get some Brezel and Streuseltaler (a small tart with fruit and a crumble topping) or other baked goods, although these are best eaten fresh on the day they were made.

Those Bärchen Pärchen are on the shopping list for next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
But don't you have them as Pepparkakor in Sweden? That's what our local IKEA would lead me to believe...

Spekulatius (the cookies) are very similar to Swedish papparkakor, yes. But this is like Spekulatius/papparkakor/ginger bread in a jar! As a smooth cream that you spread on a slice of bread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
I understand that Haribo now has a candy called (I think) Baerchen Paerchen - or something like that. Gummi Bears that come in pairs - one sweet, one sour. That's something I'm going to have to hunt down

They couldn't be to hard to find, my wife bought a packet from my local supermarket not long ago here in Australia.
They are ok but I've had better.
Have fun everyone in Essen, I'm jealous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fondue wrote:
Which retailers tend to stock them?

I've only found them in the REWE stores. There's one in Rüttenscheider Straße (not far from the Messe) and one in Limbecker Platz (not far from my hotel) and there might be more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Davies
United Kingdom
Haddenham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soulbender wrote:
Fondue wrote:
Which retailers tend to stock them?

I've only found them in the REWE stores. There's one in Rüttenscheider Straße (not far from the Messe) and one in Limbecker Platz (not far from my hotel) and there might be more.

Thanks - I'd just realised Rewe was a store chain (thanks Google!), and have starred a couple of stores (the ones you mentioned). The next 3 weeks are going to drag...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget beer! I love good ol' Franciskaaner, but any german beer will be good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
Don't forget beer! I love good ol' Franciskaaner, but any german beer will be good!

Haha, that is unless you're going back to somewhere where the beer is even better! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently visited my first REWE, while being in Hamburg, and looked up where to find them in Essen. There are two right around where we usually hang out, so I'm definitely going candy shopping. My favorite is the green Balisto, and I'm definitely bringing home as many as possible (which may not be many given my game purchases, so I may have to eat them all while in Essen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balisto is not limited to any one chain. You should also be able to get that at Lidl. I prefer the purple one...

But why do I think about going to Rewe tonight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Balisto is not limited to any one chain. You should also be able to get that at Lidl.
Oh, I'm aware of this fact, but Rewe has good prices, bulk packages, and tons of Milka as well.

Locu wrote:
I prefer the purple one...
Oh no! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Locu wrote:
Balisto is not limited to any one chain. You should also be able to get that at Lidl.
Oh, I'm aware of this fact, but Rewe has good prices, bulk packages, and tons of Milka as well.

Locu wrote:
I prefer the purple one...
Oh no! surprise

Actually Rewe is a pretty expensive chain. I'm Swabian, so cheap, and usually go to Kaufland, Aldi or Lidl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lidl has got cans of Veltins this week, only 99p. Unbelievable. Not in Essen though, in the UK. 99p for actual brewed in Germany German Pils.

EDIT: I managed to get the last 16 cans this afternoon. Panicked when I thought they'd all gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek Obszanski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always a must have when u are in Germany

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:

Actually Rewe is a pretty expensive chain. I'm Swabian, so cheap, and usually go to Kaufland, Aldi or Lidl.

The cheaper chain around here is Netto. Aldi and Lidl obviously as well, but Netto tends to have more brands. Rewe and Kaiser's are definitely more expensive.

Also, not just any German beer is good. Actually, the ones at the supermarkets are pretty average. If you want good beer, find a craft beer store or come to Düsseldorf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this thread, Ulf!

It is always an internal struggle in me when it comes to give room in my luggage to food in connection with Spiel.
I will definitly check out the REWE spreads next time, and my wife loves the Knusperkeks

In between the boxes I squeeze:

HANUTAs: They are just everything I need from a snack!

Sour Sauerkraut, not the sweet goofy stuff they serve in Norway:

Haribo Phantasia: ( I tell myself they are healthy due to the natural colors...)

As well as
Dr. Oetker Tortenguss
(because my mother used to buy this...):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The food I look forward to most in Germany is black licorice made with ammonium chloride. Love that stuff! The American licorice doesn't use this as an ingredient. Germany, Netherlands, Denmark.... they know how to make Lakritz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.