Subject: Storage Solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb

Got the containers at Meijer, in their Crafts section. Works much better than the initial 3600 Series Plano I had.

The board will fit on top of the small, stacked containers, but the player boards and manual must sit on the opposite side of the box for the lid to close tightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for asking but... do you really sort money by denomination after each play? I will never understand that idea, they are mixed in the game anyway, that's just overkill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really mix them during the game? That sounds annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort money by denomination. They're only grouped together when on the board and I generally keep them sorted and not in a heap.

I use baggies to store everything. I know the bags won't protect the components as well as the boxes, but they work well enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:

Got the containers at Meijer, in their Crafts section.

Can you identify the containers by name/brand/model ? I don't think Meijer is anywhere near me, but maybe another store sells them, and I can't really see that well to make sure I get ones that fit properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
hymie wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

Got the containers at Meijer, in their Crafts section.

Can you identify the containers by name/brand/model ? I don't think Meijer is anywhere near me, but maybe another store sells them, and I can't really see that well to make sure I get ones that fit properly.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Advantus-Super-Stacker-Bitty-Box-...

The picture of the blue boxes that is shown are the taller size...the clear boxes are the size that I have, and they fit two stacked in the box.

They have cases of around the same height, but are bigger, as shown.

Looks like all this is able to be found at Wal-Mart, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
rzabcio wrote:
Sorry for asking but... do you really sort money by denomination after each play? I will never understand that idea, they are mixed in the game anyway, that's just overkill.

Maybe Im OCD...its really not that time consuming, or difficult, though. Looks nice, fits better... *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate F
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Awesomeness

My box looks a lot like yours. I have some round, screw-together storage for the player markers. We could accomplish the same thing with bags, but the plastic boxes that snap closed and stack nicely are just more pleasing when setting up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
hyperinactive wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Awesomeness

My box looks a lot like yours. I have some round, screw-together storage for the player markers. We could accomplish the same thing with bags, but the plastic boxes that snap closed and stack nicely are just more pleasing when setting up.

Exactly right. Baggies kill setup/take down, imo. And it looks a lot nicer this way, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jerome! It's too bad the Plano didn't fit. There is a very similar set of boxes on Amazon but I don't know if they are identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
Thanks Jerome! It's too bad the Plano didn't fit. There is a very similar set of boxes on Amazon but I don't know if they are identical.

Yup, those seem to be the exact ones that I am using!

The Plano fit in the box fine, with the cards...it was just very difficult to get the pieces out of the Plano. Having individual containers makes that (somewhat) easier...for me, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
The Plano fit in the box fine, with the cards...it was just very difficult to get the pieces out of the Plano. Having individual containers makes that (somewhat) easier...for me, at least.

Interesting ...

I like the convenience of only having to open and close one box and of having everything in the same place. I use a sharp knife to take the corners off of the divider supports that I don't use. They are still functional but less likely to bite. OTOH, I seem to recall it can be difficult to get cubes out. I used Altoids tins for Pandemic and all of its cubes and bits. I used folded up index cards to divide them in two. That worked well, maybe because they are shallower than the Plano.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

Interesting ...

I like the convenience of only having to open and close one box and of having everything in the same place. I use a sharp knife to take the corners off of the divider supports that I don't use. They are still functional but less likely to bite. OTOH, I seem to recall it can be difficult to get cubes out. I used Altoids tins for Pandemic and all of its cubes and bits. I used folded up index cards to divide them in two. That worked well, maybe because they are shallower than the Plano.

Yes, youre right. Only needing to open one container is nice. For some reason my fat fingers were really annoyed by these cubes and the Plano I was using (maybe it wasnt Plano, but ArtBin instead, or the other way around, Idk).

I had heard someone mention Altoids containers before. I only had 1 laying around at the time, and just havent bought any since then. Definitely a practical usage for them...I dig it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
For some reason my fat fingers were really annoyed by these cubes and the Plano

Planos and cubes just don't work well together. The cubes tend to form a little column and then fall back into the bin. Planos are good for chits and cardboard tokens (once you file down their teeth).

For Pax Porfiriana I used a small blue box that came in a set of different sized boxes from the craft section at Walmart. It is 1.25" x 5.75" x 3.6". It works okay for cubes. Again I used index cards to make dividers with the bottom of each bin lined with the rest of the index card so the bottom of the divider can't shift. Oddly enough the flimsy dividers help because they bend easily so I can get my fingers around cubes that are right up against the divider.

I think boxes with rounded bottoms that are designed for beads might work too but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
For some reason my fat fingers were really annoyed by these cubes and the Plano

Planos and cubes just don't work well together. The cubes tend to form a little column and then fall back into the bin. Planos are good for chits and cardboard tokens (once you file down their teeth).

For Pax Porfiriana I used a small blue box that came in a set of different sized boxes from the craft section at Walmart. It is 1.25" x 5.75" x 3.6". It works okay for cubes. Again I used index cards to make dividers with the bottom of each bin lined with the rest of the index card so the bottom of the divider can't shift. Oddly enough the flimsy dividers help because they bend easily so I can get my fingers around cubes that are right up against the divider.

I think boxes with rounded bottoms that are designed for beads might work too but I'm not sure.

Yeah, Im thinking those ArtBin containers, Ive gotten a few at Jo Ann Fabric, would work better for this than a Plano.

I think Im going to try out your index card trick...not a bad idea, at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate F
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:

I've given up on plano entirely after I discovered those beading organizers with the non-square compartments. Most are made by a company named Darice, if you want to search for them online. Most craft and fabric stores have them if local is your thing. The two smaller sizes fit most game boxes perfectly. I miss the modular nature of plano, but not having the dividers lift up and the curved bottoms make the beading stuff superior, IMO.

I had TF set up in one initially, but it's easier to hand out player's color cubes in independent containers than to pass around the big plastic one and have people scoop them out. Same with clean-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
hyperinactive wrote:
BitJam wrote:

I've given up on plano entirely after I discovered those beading organizers with the non-square compartments. Most are made by a company named Darice, if you want to search for them online. Most craft and fabric stores have them if local is your thing. The two smaller sizes fit most game boxes perfectly. I miss the modular nature of plano, but not having the dividers lift up and the curved bottoms make the beading stuff superior, IMO.

I had TF set up in one initially, but it's easier to hand out player's color cubes in independent containers than to pass around the big plastic one and have people scoop them out. Same with clean-up.

Ive only played solo, so far. But yeah, with multiple players, the individual containers will make it much easier.

And Im with you on the Planos. I think Im going to start looking for the bead containers first. The ones Ive seen and have just seem to be a little cheaper quality than the Planos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The little blue box I used for Pax Porfiriana is from Darice. You can see a picture of it here. I got it in a collection of different sized boxes from Walmart. The bottom's not rounded but it works well the with index card dividers. I think it will be too small for Terraforming Mars.

I'm still a fan of Plano boxes for many games but I use Darice boxes and Altoid boxes and so on for other games depending on the requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to DIY storage solution in general, so my question is much more basic than those posted here: could you tell me where you got the PnP file to make those really neat deck boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
smarano wrote:
I'm new to DIY storage solution in general, so my question is much more basic than those posted here: could you tell me where you got the PnP file to make those really neat deck boxes?

Bought them for a couple bucks a piece at my LGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smarano wrote:

They're Ultra-Pro deck boxes, available anywhere that sells Magic The Gathering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I also just stumbled on this on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/listing/478129052/terraforming-mars-gam...

Has anyone here had experience with this product?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
smarano wrote:

As people said, they're just standard deck boxes that you can find at any shop that sells Magic: the Gathering.

However, in the files section for this game you can find some files foe making your own deck boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.