$35.00
Thomas Friend
Australia
flag msg tools
I know there's another thread posted here that asks a similar question but mine is more about the luckiest moment rather than the luckiest winning streak.

I am starting this because I guess I want to share with you perhaps what I would consider the luckiest fluke I've had in playing a card game.

So today I was playing One Night Ultimate Werewolf with some friends of mine and I happened to be the Robber. When it was my turn, I swapped with the person directly opposite me and it turned out the card they had was the Werewolf card which meant I had to play it safe but being the amateur I was at the game I was almost certain I was going to fail. Then a certain... kink in the game came up - another player had accidentally seen their card again AFTER the heads-up and our GM for this game (who had just about enough of this player's ineptness for a while) told that player to just shut up and stay silent for the rest of the game as punishment. That was when I decided to say "I was the robber and I swapped with that person so now I'm Villager" - and because that player was forced into silence, they couldn't say anything to either confirm or deny that. Eventually play continued and the Villagers lost but the strange thing which led the other players to comment on just how lucky I was that time was at the reveal when that silenced player turned over their card to reveal the normal Villager card. Now I knew there were 3 Villager cards in play but due to the nature of the game, I certainly wasn't aware of who had them and so I assumed the silenced player had it (I mean, what are the odds that I would guess that correctly?)

So yeah, if anyone had any lucky guesses, lucky draws, flukes caused by other players or the environment, or anything of the sort, please feel free to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not me, but my granddaughter. Four of us were playing Can't Stop. The first player took normal risks and ended her turn somewhere - it doesn't matter where.

My granddaughter went next. She rolled and rolled and rolled, never chickening out, and ended up winning the game on her first turn without the third and fourth player getting to play at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've hit backdoor quads when completely mis-playing a hand in no-limit hold'em with a fairly heavy (by my standards) amount of money on the line (very late stages of a multi-table tournement; deep in the cash; I don't usually play for anything much larger than chump change). Those were odds of about 1080:1.

It's doesn't strictly count, but I've also had a situation where we were down to 12 players and someone with a massive stack was just shoving all-in on every turn, trying to bleed-out the low-stack players to get down to the final table, and I woke up with pocket Tens. That takes a bit of nerve, actually: shoving, when know it's the right EV call but you also know you've been playing for hours, and have got enough of a stack to be guaranteed to make the final table bubble anyway by just playing tight. It wasn't by any means statistically lucky, but it was experientially lucky. It's about 3:1 in my favour, but it's also playing russian roulette with four chambers and one bullet when you don't actually need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Ord
United Kingdom
Darlington
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it was one of my games of Coup a couple of years ago. The cards were dealt and I just didn't look at them. I took completely random actions and waited for people to call me out. The first time somebody called me out (for not being a duke) I flipped a random one of my cards to reveal...a duke.

That was funny enough to my group but we continued in the same fashion until I tried to assassinate somebody. They called me out so I once again flipped a random card to reveal an assassin. I had just taken somebody out by sheer luck.

By the end of the game I was the last man standing in a four player game. Both of my cards remained face down and I still had no clue what cards I had. My group were completely baffled and I'll forever remember that particular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I stacked all but one die in SUTAKKU once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rolled 6 "smacks" in King of New York on my FIRST roll! The odds of that are .000126. This was an honest to goodness total fluke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I know the thread specifically says board or card game....

my luckiest moment in gaming came from a session of 3.5 dungeons and dragons. We were playing the variant rule with instant kills. (Had to roll a 20, 20, and then a hit). We were on some large ship when two whales popped up and began crashing into the sides. My ranger decides to shoot an arrow at each one, and was first to go in the combat order. I roll both attacks at the same time...

20, 20.

Awesome, for sure hits. Now had to roll to "confirm the critical"

20, 20.

Wow! This was super crazy. Two confirmed critical hits, both with the chance to be instant kills if only I actually hit them.

17, 19.

Two instantly dead whales. It was crazy good rolls.

To be fair, only a few weeks later in the same campaign karma appropriately struck and I had some of my worst luck ever. During the course of several rounds of combat I managed to roll 5 natural 1's during a series of attacks and saving throws....and that is how that character died.

The dice gods giveth, the dice gods taketh away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Repeatedly topdecking Black Sun's Zenith ( I had 2) in a mtg match against a rather potent sliver deck. I ended up losing the match, but held on WAY longer than I should've, always drawing that card the turn I needed.

(for the uninitiated, slivers are a creature type that all synergize with each other, thus the more are in play, the stronger each individual is. Black sun's zenith is a mass creature killer, hitting mine and theirs indiscriminately, but gets shuffled into the deck instead of discarding it. Thus I was able to draw it 5 or 6 timed RIGHT when I needed it or die, to wipe all of his buffed up slivers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Until 2 days ago I have never lost at cockroach poker. Truth be told, everyone wins in this game but one unlucky person who's lies are easily deduced. ; )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
I rolled 6 "smacks" in King of New York on my FIRST roll! The odds of that are .000126. This was an honest to goodness total fluke.

Isn't that more like 0.0000214 (46655 to 1 against), i.e. an order of magnitude even luckier? (I may be wrong; I don't own KoNY, only KoT, so the dice breakdown might not be what I think).
Ranior wrote:
my luckiest moment in gaming came from a session of 3.5 dungeons and dragons.

If we're including RPGs, the Savage Worlds ladies and gents are probably going to run away with it. I've seen the exploding dice do some crazy things, like take out the "final boss" during its first token early-game appearance-at-a-distance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
My unluckiest was this past Saturday at a playtest session where on one turn where I had to roll 3d10 and all 3 rolled 0 (playing 0 as lowest result). On very next roll I again got to use 3d10 and AGAIN rolled triple 0...

I lost that game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got The Fates on a one-card pull from the Deck of Many Things cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Triboluminous wrote:
imtylerdurden wrote:

Isn't that more like 0.0000214 (46655 to 1 against), i.e. an order of magnitude even luckier? (I may be wrong; I don't own KoNY, only KoT, so the dice breakdown might not be what I think).

Our group actually witnessed an amazing roll of seven hearts in KoT (yes, one extra head) by one of the players, on his first roll that turn. He kept them as he was down to 1 or 2 remaining hit points, only to be crushed before his next turn was due (we were 6 at the table iirc and there were plenty of powers). Epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The luckiest I have been recently was when my group was playing Sleuth. My wife was very close to winning, and I was nowhere near. As a last-ditch effort, knowing the game would be over shortly anyway, I made a blind guess, and guessed correctly. My wife was furious. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our last game of Pandemic Legacy (I will be spoiler-free), out of the infection cards revealed for set-up, six of them (including 2 of the triples) were in the same color in the worst area possible. Out the the gate, we had almost given up, the set-up was that bad. We ended up having so many cities that could outbreak into multiple cities and guessed which one to clean, and would surely reveal THAT city in the infection step. Turn after then, crazy guess, crazy reveal, to the point where we lost on the final possible turn before we would have cured that last dang disease.

We ultimately lost, but it was a wild ride the whole time. Our guesses were based in best statistics, but multiple times, it was "guess which one of the six cities equally likely destroy us". Without luck, our game would have only lasted half as long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4 player game of The Oregon Trail Card Game and all 4 of us made it to the Willamette valley.

That won't likely ever happen to us again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, I rolled 3 dice with the crit system. I ended up getting 14 hits out of that one turn. Actually killed a nemesis in one turn, leaving some superluous hits for his sidekick, when I was just hoping to land one or two hits.

We won that scenario BIG time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Also while playing PitchCar this past weekend I managed to flip up onto a rail:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the Candy Land days, it was always pretty epic if you managed to pull Queen Frostine on the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
During a game of Monopoly I rolled to land of Park Place then proceeded with my next roll with snake eyes to land on Boardwalk. Of course I had enough money to buy them and then I started putting up houses when I passed Go on the next roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During a game of Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged, I was backed up on my own five, and quickly threw a screen pass to my running back. Yeah, over the course of just the first activation card, I gained about 50 yards and eventually got a TD on that play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose this qualifies as a moment. Or two.

I was playing (contract) Bridge, using the Precision Club bidding system. As most systems it uses Ace=4, King=3, Queen=2, Jack=1 to count high card points, forty total. I got dealt a 22 point hand, so I need very little help from my partner to make a good score. With only 18 points for the other players, I'm expecting to hear pass, pass, pass, then I bid one club, saying I have at least 16 points.

What I actually hear is pass, one club, pass. My partner has 16 points! Eep! (My moment.) Okay, I think, 16+22=38, so we're missing at most a queen or two jacks. But by calling one club, my partner is supposed to be in control of the bidding, and I'm just supposed to answer his questions. But can I really give him a picture of my hand that way? Even if so, it gives a lot of information to our opponents. (Bridge conventions are public, so they now know my partner has 16 points, for example.)

But I trust my partner (you must!) and see enough good shape in my own hand to make taking all 13 tricks (oddly a bid of 7) possible, even without the aid of a trump suit. And, I realize I've just been thinking way too long: a response to a one club bid should be automatic; in theory, I'm illegally conveying information by taking so long. So, I just bid 7NT, seven no trump, committing to take all 13 tricks without a trump suit.

My partner has kittens. (His moment.) Pass, pass, pass--bidding over. My partner will lay down his hand on the table, and I'll play both hands--it's just a bridge thing--so he asks in a rather strangled voice, "Partner, may I see your hand?" I pass it to him; he looks; he passes it back.

I make the contract easily. I talk to my partner after. He's good with it: minimum info given to the opponents; no way I needed more information. An extremely lucky hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many many years ago I was playing Battletech and an enemy mech jumped in front of my Enforcer. I survived his attack and was able to counter with all I had... 2 large weapons and one silly little Small Laser that was almost an afterthought on that mech.

My 2 large weapons miss but the Small Laser hits. I'm fuzzy on the exact numbers but I rolled (on 2d6) a 2 for location... Center Torso with a chance for a critical hit. I check for the possible crit and roll 12, 3 critical hits. I then rolled the right sequence of numbers to score 3 engine hits and *BOOM* goes his mech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Friend
Australia
flag msg tools
Oh I also just remember how much of a beginner's luck I actually got when playing that new Star Wars spacecraft RPG tabletop game. I don't remember the full details but apparently I was given one of those Empire TIE stealth fighters with the cloaking ability by one of the other players and he plus the other players there thought that, as a beginner, I would lose out quickly.

Turns out I lasted a lot longer than they expected - for 10 turns I was a bit unlucky in thinking that I was able to escape the field of vision (and hence firing range) of the other ships which wasn't the case BUT apparently that was made up by my opponents missing their pot shots at me. I'll never forget the cry of anguish one of them said to me as I kept on evading his shots: "Damn you and your cloaking!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
During a game of Monopoly I rolled to land of Park Place then proceeded with my next roll with snake eyes to land on Boardwalk. Of course I had enough money to buy them and then I started putting up houses when I passed Go on the next roll.

I had a similar game of Monopoly many years ago, but different.
There were two of us left. I had hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place.
The other guy rolled doubles to land on Park Place and I nearly cleaned him out.
Obviously his next roll was snake-eyes. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.