Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Simester
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've tried to get into this game a few times over the years, but tended to find the scanning of identical-looking status cards with numerous identical-looking chits made it hard for me to easily grasp the situation on the board. Recently I've taken it out of the box again and, with a bit of Excel work, managed to get a spreadsheet of eight aircraft onto a single laptop screen; thereby making the data far more manageable (for me, anyway ). I've also got it to calculate initiative using a simple macro.

During the construction of the spreadsheet I've had to focus on the Advanced Game sequence, and I must admit that one aspect has me confused.

Following the Entry Phase is the Initiative Determination Phase (AG11.2). Precendence is calculated based on, amongst other things, whether aircraft are in formation and whether they have visuals/tallies/lock-ons. Bear in mind that aircraft in formation not only have to be in a certain position but also satisfy certain visual requirements.

My confusion is that AFTER this is done the Contact Phase (AG12.0) is carried out; yet it's in the Contact Phase that we establish the current visuals/tallies/lock-ons. In other words, it seems to me that initiative is being calculated on the basis of what was at the beginning of the previous turn (and may have been lost) rather than what is now.

Rule 11.2.1 (Advanced Game Initiative Precedence Listing) begins, 'For aircraft currently in a standard formation...' (my emphasis) so it's assuming the current situation. Yet 12.2.2.5 (Spotting Maintenance) suggests that tallies and visuals can only be lost during the Contact Phase which follows Initiative Determination.

Sorry this is long-winded, and I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'd be grateful if someone could explain the reason for Initiative Determination coming before the Contact Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor X
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why the rules have the Initiative Phase prior to the Contact Phase. I too thought it seemed backwards, and have played all board game contests with the Contact Phase first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Simester
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not just me then!

Many thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.