Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jul A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

I'm back with an other weird question.

See my picture:

The red unit rolled 2 flags against the blue one. The blue infantry has to retreat to 2 hexes. Is the hex marked with the "2" token the only option for retreat? Or could the player choose to retreat on the "1" hex and take one hit?

In other words, could we consider a retreat movement as "step-by-step" (= "flag-by-flag")? For the first flag, the blue unit could choose to go to the "1" hex, and for the second flag, take a hit because it's blocked.

Julien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
jul_nwar wrote:
Hello,

I'm back with an other weird question.

See my picture:

The red unit rolled 2 flags against the blue one. The blue infantry has to retreat to 2 hexes. Is the hex marked with the "2" token the only option for retreat? Or could the player choose to retreat on the "1" hex and take one hit?

In other words, could we consider a retreat movement as "step-by-step" (= "flag-by-flag")? For the first flag, the blue unit could choose to go to the "1" hex, and for the second flag, take a hit because it's blocked.

Julien

One hex at a time. So you could go to hex #1 and lose a figure. You are not forced to maximize the retreat.

However, if hex #1 had blocking terrain, you would have to move towards hex #2 as you can't voluntarily just remain in your hex and take the casualty if there is a path open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from the Condensed FAQ v1.3
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/23974/condensed-faq-1...

3.6. Retreat path is decided one hex at a time.
You are allowed to plan your retreat path such that it reach a point where both possible retreat hexes are blocked and you lose unit(s). This is allowed even if there exist another path where you can fully complete your retreat without losing any unit(s).
The unit is moved one hex at a time. When a unit must retreat 2 hexes the first hex is moved onto and then the second hex. Which hex the unit moves back onto each retreat move is a separate decision. SHwoKing's example states: The blue infantry must retreat 2 hexes. The controlling player moved the unit back onto a hex that prevents the unit from retreating another hex. The other choice for the first move back would have been to move the blue retreating unit onto the hex on the right. Because the first retreat hex has placed the unit in a situation that prevents it from retreating a second hex, the unit must lose one figure. I'm not sure if losing a figure is a good tactic here, need to see the rest of the battlefield, check if I am ahead in captured banners and of course look at my command cards again ;o) (source: RBorg)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jul A
France
flag msg tools
Thanks to both of you.

I didn't know the "Condensed FAQ"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.