Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Character Classes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, forgive me if this is somewhere obvious and I have not seen it. I just wanted to know the basic class each character is aimed towards.

I.e.

Spellweaver - Magic/Mage - ranged and 'fragile health'
Brute - Warrior - Melee and a tank?
Tinkerer - Support?
Scoundrel - Ranger/Assasin? - ranged?
Cragheart - ?
Vermling - ?

etc.etc.

Not looking for anything beyond the base characters please so no spoilers. Just wanted a rough idea of how they play if this is actually known.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cragheart is another Tank. He is more pure strength, while the Brute is strong with weapons and armor.

The Tinkerer is also a healer of some sorts.

The Vermling is a lot like the Scoundrel. Very flexible and adaptable from what I can tell.

That is my basic understanding from reading source material, but I haven't played. I specifically didn't play the test scenario so I wouldn't spoil anything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is worth mentioning that your character role will evolve as you select character ability cards for your hand, and as you level and select new perks & character ability cards. I have been following the comments section of this game's Kickstarter project fairly closely, and I get the impression that you will be able to "guide" your character towards the role you want them to fulfill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know the Cragheart can also command earth-type spells and effects, while the Vermling is all about mind-magic and the summoning of critters...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coleman Ellis
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
You're right on Brute and Spellweaver (but I'd like to add that the Spellweaver also has the most card management, as all of her hard hitting attacks have you lose card the card, and she has a card that lets her pick them all back up), here's a little more detail on the rest:
Scoundrel: A classic rogue, does lots of snaking and can do huge damage if you set up what are essentially "backstabs". Has a few ranged options.
Tinkerer: An engineer, focuses on ranged combat, debuffs, and support.
Cragheart: another tanky character, but with many more ranged options than the Brute. Lots of earth magic, and the only starting character with ways to manipulate obstacles.
Mindthief: A melee glass canon, she's really fragile but many of her ability cards provide buffs to all following melee attacks (until she plays a different buff). She's also the biggest of the staters on summons iirc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When demoing the game, here's the summary I usually give:

The Brute is your typical tank. He gets up in the monster's face with melee attacks and has defensive abilities.

The Scoundrel is an opportunistic melee attacker. She can deal huge damage in the right circumstances.

The Spellweaver is your multi-target ranged attacker, throwing out big spells to do lots of damage, but she can burn out quickly if you don't play your cards right.

The Tinkerer is healing and support, providing bonuses to his allies and negatives to his enemies. He's also got a good amount of ranged damage.

The Cragheart is more of a jack-of-all-trades. It's got melee attacks, ranged attacks, and healing, but you also have to be careful about hurting your allies.

And the Mindthief is just weird. She has a lot of crazy abilities - summoning, mind control, and psychic augments that enhance her melee attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
And the Mindthief is just weird.

LOL, when the designer's pitch is 'is just weird'... that's my starting character. NO contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
cafin8d wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:
And the Mindthief is just weird.

LOL, when the designer's pitch is 'is just weird'... that's my starting character. NO contest.

mee too, if other player doesn't steal from me :-)
I read the card action files and it is very interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, man, I'm so excited to start my first campaign (just my partner and me), and I think I'll either pick the Tinkerer or the Spellweaver.
Any thoughts on which character classes would work best two-player and which ones maybe wouldn't be so good in that context?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And the Mindthief is just weird. She has a lot of crazy abilities - summoning, mind control, and psychic augments that enhance her melee attacks.

Sounds fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Oh, man, I'm so excited to start my first campaign (just my partner and me), and I think I'll either pick the Tinkerer or the Spellweaver.
Any thoughts on which character classes would work best two-player and which ones maybe wouldn't be so good in that context?

grab 2 each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Any combination of starting characters should work. Maybe the most dysfunctional I can think of would be the Mindthief and the Spellweaver, simply because they both have low health and limited healing. But the Mindthief is so versatile, she could function as a tank and let the Spellweaver dish out the damage. Maybe the two melee attackers, the Brute and the Scoundrel, would be less effective together, simply due to a lack of ranged attacks, but they both still have some ranged attacks they can use in a pinch.

I don't know. I could give you some advanced character pairings that don't work very well, but you probably don't want to hear that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you solo, can you play with just one character, or should you play as two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Any combination of starting characters should work. Maybe the most dysfunctional I can think of would be the Mindthief and the Spellweaver, simply because they both have low health and limited healing. But the Mindthief is so versatile, she could function as a tank and let the Spellweaver dish out the damage. Maybe the two melee attackers, the Brute and the Scoundrel, would be less effective together, simply due to a lack of ranged attacks, but they both still have some ranged attacks they can use in a pinch.

I don't know. I could give you some advanced character pairings that don't work very well, but you probably don't want to hear that.

Thank you, Isaac. I think choosing a working combination of classes is important, given the size of the journey we will be embarking on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
Cephalofair wrote:

The Cragheart is more of a jack-of-all-trades. It's got melee attacks, ranged attacks, and healing, but you also have to be careful about hurting your allies.

Hi Isaac,

I don't understand this point ... in the rules it is written "An ally can be within the affected area of an attack, but they will not be targeted by it."

so how can the Cragheart hurt some of his allies?

another question: how many scenario do you plan before seeing the first retirement. Making a rough calculation I expect about 10XP per session and so to level up the characters in 4/5 scenarios (to the second level) ... if this is considered too much spoiler I am sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
The Cragheart has several ways to make those around him suffer damage without directly attack them. This can also affect allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio, with the experience bonus you get for successfully completing a scenario, the gain is usually more like 15-20, allowing you to level every three scenarios or so. Personal quests can vary widely, but the general rule of thumb is that they'll take 10-15 scenarios, so, on average, you'll be around level 5 the first time you retire.

See Tomas' response to your other question.

And Bryan, playing solo requires that you play at least two characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:

Thanks, Isaac!
That sounds sensible; I guess we would pick two functionally different characters anyway. I have not yet asked my partner what he is most interested in; I hope I can get him to play a tank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Silver
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-Waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be playing this with my daughter, who ALWAYS goes for the same type of character (preferably a female, elf-like rogue). She'll pick the Scoundrel, no doubt.

I don't really mind who I'm playing (though Tanks are my least favorite), so who should I pick? Mindthief and Cragheart sound like they'd be the most fun to play, but would that leave the Scoundrel unprotected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
How about trying two characters? Tank is needed and one character, that would please you? Also with three characters on board the tactics may be more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
How about trying two characters? Tank is needed and one character, that would please you? Also with three characters on board the tactics may be more interesting.

I've already considered this. My wife and I game together almost exclusively, and we've dabbled in multi-character games before, even competitive games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Silver
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-Waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but that wouldn't work for us.
We've tried playing multiple characters before (for example in Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Legends of Andor and Assault on Doomrock), but it never quite seems to work out.

Most of the time it makes it a bit harder keeping track of who has done what, or what the separate characters were planning (and lots of "wait, did this sword belong to my thief or my warrior?")

But the main reason is that we like feeling connected with the character we're playing. Whenever we played more than one character, it felt more like managing a team than living the life of one person.

The main objective for us is not to figure out interesting tactics to use, but to have fun immersing ourselves in what promises to be a great setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorinsilver wrote:
I'll be playing this with my daughter, who ALWAYS goes for the same type of character (preferably a female, elf-like rogue). She'll pick the Scoundrel, no doubt.

I don't really mind who I'm playing (though Tanks are my least favorite), so who should I pick? Mindthief and Cragheart sound like they'd be the most fun to play, but would that leave the Scoundrel unprotected?

Every combination can work, some will be better together but you don't need a certain combo.
No healer, al character take some healing skills, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really interested in playing two characters per player, either, especially since Isaac said almost any two classes should work fine.

Since Gloomhaven is very RPG-like, I want to identify with my character; play as that character -- that works less well with more than one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it seems relevant to the discussion, I'll note/remind us that the Gloomhaven scenarios automatically scale between 2-4 characters, so you shouldn't be at a significant disadvantatge if there are only 2 in the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.