BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Where to store games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

this will be my first time in Essen where I actually want to buy some games. My biggest concern at the moment: where to store the games after purchasing them? I don't want to carry them around all the time!

As I see there are too options:
1) We'll arrive by car, and there are some parking lots close to the fair. So presumably I could get out from time to time and take the games to the car. I just think I'll have to be in Essen really early (what time?) to get a parking space there!?

2) I've heard that there are lockers at the fair, where I could put the cames in. Is that true? Do I also have to be there early for getting one?

How do you manage this? Thanks.

Cheers,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always gone back to the car to store the games there. P9 is about ten minutes one-way, but it's nice to get out for some fresh air anyway. There are lockers, but I have no experience with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy solution - don't buy any.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If going by car, storing games in the car is by far the best solution. The lockers are rather small and will only store a couple/few games. There used to be warderobe service in the old halls, not sure if it is still there, you could store really large bags of games there for a couple of euros. If not simply use a small trolley. I know a lot of people in here hate that people use trollies, but if you are not travelling by car and you are buying a lot, it is the only real option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or may be you can use a medium size suitcase luggage and drag it around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play ESSEN The Game: SPIEL'13 for these and other questions.

I've been amazed reading all these questions and going "Huh, just like in the game, wow."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takoyakioc wrote:
Or may be you can use a medium size suitcase luggage and drag it around?

You won't get many unopened games in a suitcase, 5 big boxes and you might be full, with a trolly and a couple of straps you can stack them high. I tend to pick up between 20 and 30 games on thursday, as well as maybe 5-10 displays of magic cards.

Try getting that in a suitcase whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the car option!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Shoolman
Australia
Docklands
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you don't have a car to go back to and staying 30min tram ride away? I have preordered as much as possible so can pickup as leaving but there are a few I will have to carry around all day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The coat room, "Garderobe" in German, also checks in games, so you can store them there during the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's just a couple of games, you could try the lockers. Then again, a regular backpack will also hold those, unless you're buying a Crokinole board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kat5e wrote:
What happens if you don't have a car to go back to and staying 30min tram ride away? I have preordered as much as possible so can pickup as leaving but there are a few I will have to carry around all day...

Same here, I think I am coming by tram or bus, too. I am hoping to store my games temporarily in a friendly Geek's car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there for the first time last year. As someone already mentioned, there are plenty of lockers. They were of decent size I thought, we had a bunch of games in there. The wardrobe is also an alternative. Taxi is cheap so getting the games to the hotel is easy.

I guess it depends on how many games you are buying, but I never found myself carrying too much. I spread out my purchases (I had pre-ordered my most wanted titles and could pick them upany day) and stored in the locker during the day. In the end I filled a large suitcase, probably bought around 10 big games in total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you want to use the lockers, be there on Wednesday. Early Wednesday. Or earlier.

There are not many lockers, and people tend to reserve them as soon as possible. And then keep them for the rest of the fair, loading and unloading games in them when necessary. Because the lockers don't need to be cleared by the end of the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be helping to demo games on a couple of the days. Do the stands have enough room to have a backpack on the floor out of the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most common problems. Except for the most important question: How can I raise my budget?

Okay, now I'm serious.

If a car is available, use it. It's the easiest way.

Geeks on a train who visit the fair for only one day are the toughest case. There I can give only the obvious advises. Buy and pick up late. Just before you leave. If you fear a game might be sold out, and no preorder was available, get it. But everything else should wait if it does not fit in an ordinary backpack. If you buy really big, those IKEA bags are helpful. I usually use ordinary cloth bags from the supermarket.

@ Deb: It depends on the publisher. If you only need to store some bottles of water and a lunchbox, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I you buy a lot of games, you should check the booth first. Maybe the exhibitor can store those in a car. He should have a lot directly under the halls. Just ask him in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukus wrote:

@ Deb: It depends on the publisher. If you only need to store some bottles of water and a lunchbox, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I you buy a lot of games, you should check the booth first. Maybe the exhibitor can store those in a car. He should have a lot directly under the halls. Just ask him in advance.

Thanks, I'll do that. I guess by that time I'll need a light jacket as well, so adds to the storage problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Rukus wrote:

Thanks, I'll do that. I guess by that time I'll need a light jacket as well, so adds to the storage problem.

Let's hope the weather gods are with us. Last year, it was freezing cold when we arrived, but I've also had very pleasant walks in the sun .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should do some rain dances ahead of the fair to dry out the sky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.