Hide
16 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: So I have a question about settlement extinction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Dees
msg tools
I haven't had a chance to look yet, so this may be addressed in the rule book but since I am at work, I figured I'd post here and benefit from collective wisdom.

We played a game last night with our first encounter with the Butcher. We were not prepared / unlucky, and he wiped our entire group. When we got everything settled, we realized there was only one male left in our settlement. Unfortunately, we only have five survivors left in total, one almost completely crippled from a previous hunt, so our last male had to go out and hunt the white lion along three of his female compatriots. Despite the fact that everyone was armed with only tooth and claw, we managed to get the white lion down to one health. At which point he proceeded to claw the head off our last surviving male.

I'm assuming that since we have no more men in the settlement, we can no longer initiate intimacy events?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct. Your remaining women can continue their battle against attrition and see how long they last.

There are some events that can give you new pop, but it's rare and I wouldn't count on it. When this happens to us, we take our last survivors out against something strong, to go out in one last defiant blaze of glory.

Edit - Just wondering, how come everyone was only equipped with tooth and claw at that point? Remember, you still keep the equipment of the characters who died - the butcher didn't wipe out all of their equipment. It just seems like you should have some more weapons by year 4/5, so I can only think they're all equipped with tooth and claw because you either didn't know you keep the equipment of the dead survivors (unless it has the 'irreplaceable' keyword or one survivor ran away to lantern frenzy), or you were playing using the hardcore game mode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dees
msg tools
I thought if you have a total wipe you lose all of your gear. So that's not the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You lose the resources you might have acquired during that hunt, but your gear all goes back to the settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
ravenphoenixxx wrote:
I thought if you have a total wipe you lose all of your gear. So that's not the case?

This would make the game an extended visitation of masochistic rectal violation. Not even Poots is that sadistic.

The rulebook has a defeat event for all monster battles. Occasionally you will lose a piece of gear, but the rest is presumably returned to the settlement by a search party who came looking for your corpses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gerba
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
ravenphoenixxx wrote:

I think there is a variant in the back of the book which this is the case... but you are making it a little too hard on yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dees
msg tools
That's really good to know. It's probably would have saved our last male last night. Maybe we'll go back and re-do that fight....

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you redo the fight, why don't you make some babies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dees
msg tools
We don't have any endeavors after the Butcher fight to use to try and initiate rolls on the Intimacy chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenphoenixxx wrote:
We don't have any endeavors after the Butcher fight to use to try and initiate rolls on the Intimacy chart.

Ah. We still haven't finished our first campaign, so I haven't explored the different options/paths available. I guess you chose the "Cannibalize" principle over "Graves"? We'd be in a much darker place if dead survivors didn't give us endeavors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmb
Without spoilers, if you're ever desperate for population, hunt the flower knights or failing that, a spidicules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dees
msg tools
That's good to know. My Flower Knight hasn't arrived yet (but it will soon!) and I haven't put together my Spidicules (I keep reading about how it isn't a very good expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dees
msg tools
Yeah, we went with graves. Not certain if that was a very good idea, yet. One understanding for new survivors doesn't seem as helpful as endeavors for dead ones, at the moment....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmb
Graves is both those abilities. Its Cannibalism that is different which gives you a single basic monster resource when a survivor dies.

There is no wrong answer for Principles as it drives the character of your settlement. Completely up to you and your group. I know my group hardly thinks about doing Cannibalism though because they struggle with the idea of backing a group of people that eat people. Also before anyone shouts out about Survival of the Fittest - a tweak should be coming with the new update/reprint as Poots said in an interview.

Lastly, Spidicules is awesome. But this is because we do not replace the Antelope with him in a campaign. Have them both in and you wont have any issues and can hunt which ever you desire.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one wrong answer for principles: Don't raise your children on survival of the fittest. It makes childbirth into a horrifically dangerous process that is far more likely to kill the mother than result in a newborn. Honestly, I've never seen or heard of a settlement surviving this way other than the People of the Sun.

I suspect that there will be a change to this in the next printing, as it is the only principle where a single choice is definitively the better one.

ravenphoenixxx wrote:
That's good to know. My Flower Knight hasn't arrived yet (but it will soon!) and I haven't put together my Spidicules (I keep reading about how it isn't a very good expansion).

Spidicules is a great expansion.

The trouble is that a lot of people don't like how it keeps you from hunting the screaming antelope, and therefore keeps you from getting a few things that require screaming antelope resources.

That's really it. The fight is a lot of fun, the innovations, equipment and events it adds to your settlement are cool (some of them in a really big way) and the minis are all terrific.

And, of course, it is stated in the expansion that you may add it to lantern year 3 and not replace the antelope, if you really want to hunt both.

But I think that you don't need to have everything in every game. If you truly wish to do every expansion in one settlement, then add Spidicules to year 3 and keep the antelope around (this is legit in the rules).

But I've never had a settlement that could actually get through everything in the 20+ lantern years alloted to them, so I think you can just have some things missing from a game, and it is ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmb
Drew... you didnt read anything from my post just above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.