Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for the Scaffolding tool card say "Before the end of the game, you must replace the Scaffolding with a room card, which could be an empty room."

But what happens if you DON'T replace the Scaffolding card with a [possibly empty] room card by game-end (for whatever reason - either you forgot, or you intentionally didn't do it)? Do you just place a room card from the discard face-down to make it an empty room? Or do you suffer some kind of scoring penalty? Or does it just count as an empty room at that point (thus a zero-score room)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think every round you are choosing a room card AND a resource card (or first player). Therefore with 12 rounds, you will pick up 12 room cards and always fill each space of the house up. Unless I'm missing a special effect....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
I think every round you are choosing a room card AND a resource card (or first player). Therefore with 12 rounds, you will pick up 12 room cards and always fill each space of the house up. Unless I'm missing a special effect....

Ah, ok, that would make sense I think. So basically, in the worst case, your final card would HAVE to be played over the scaffolding, either as its true value (face-up, if a legal placement) or as an empty room (face down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, asking what happens if someone accidentally violates a game rule seems like more of a meta/social question, which game rules can't really cover, like "What if someone doesn't pay for something they buy in a game?" I.e. what does your game group usually do when someone accidentally violates a rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
To me, asking what happens if someone accidentally violates a game rule seems like more of a meta/social question, which game rules can't really cover, like "What if someone doesn't pay for something they buy in a game?" I.e. what does your game group usually do when someone accidentally violates a rule?

I'd put it on a par with building a duplicate building in 7 Wonders. It's likely unintentional, but how do you handle it if it happened 2 Ages ago.

My query here was really that I thought there was a clause missing the rulebook, more than a metaphorical question about breaking the rules. That's the trouble with only having the rulebook to go on so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
russ wrote:

I'd put it on a par with building a duplicate building in 7 Wonders. It's likely unintentional, but how do you handle it if it happened 2 Ages ago.

Right, it seems like that indeed. The rules can say "Don't do X, it's illegal", but if they say "If you do X and it is later noticed, then do Y", then it's arguably in effect making it no longer illegal (even if they say you shouldn't do X) - because then there's a well-defined in-game effect that happens if you do X, and someone could intentionally do X, gambling that it won't be noticed, and it's indistinguishable from doing it unintentionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
soosy wrote:

Ah, ok, that would make sense I think. So basically, in the worst case, your final card would HAVE to be played over the scaffolding, either as its true value (face-up, if a legal placement) or as an empty room (face down).

This is correct! It is (virtually) impossible to do this wrong. If you don't do it right there's no man overboard because the Scaffolding gives no points, nor does an empty room (in most cases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryxius Ryxius
msg tools
About scaffolding and the rules, why in the rules it's noted :

"You may place the Scaffolding before or after your room card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryxius wrote:
About scaffolding and the rules, why in the rules it's noted :

"You may place the Scaffolding before or after your room card."

Because it may be worthwhile to place the room card first.

Let's say you have all your non-basement room spaces filled. It's your turn and you draw a Garage and the Scaffolding card.

You could place the Scaffolding first and the Garage beside it, which is fine - at least you don't need a basement card right away then.

However, you could also place the Garage card first and then the Scaffolding card on top of it. That would enable you to place a tile beside your top row of room cards - perhaps completing your Living Room there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryxius Ryxius
msg tools
Hey !

I have this situation this night at a party and I understand immediately.
I wanted to delete my question this morning (France) but you answer before I can do it.

Thanks anyway for this explanation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.