2 Posts

De Ontembare Stad» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about Phase 1 & Phase 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
I have recently translated the German Rules into English but I think I will need to revise them since there is still some ambiguity on some of the rules, specifically Phase 1 and Phase 2-

For the Basic Game:
1. On this phase you draw from the stack of building/event cards. When you draw a building tile must you take it into your hand (after income) or can you discard it? I assume the best option is to sell it to the Pawn Shop but of course it allows other players to purchase later in the game. If you can discard it, would it be placed next to the draw pile (German- "covered pile")? Once a card is discarded does this prevent anyone from acquiring it later in the game?
2. If you lose a building card by an Event, does it go into the discard pile?

For the Strategic Game:
1. During Phase 2, this is an excerpt below of the English translation:
"Buying- By paying 5 bricks, you can acquire a card from the Pawn Shop at it’s face value. You can also draw a Building card from the pile for the same cost."
The second part is unclear to me, What pile are they referencing (draw or discard) and what is the cost (5 bricks + it's face value)?
2. Free Market vs. Pawn Shop:
- Selling to the Pawn Shop nets ½ value but requires the buyer to spend 5 bricks plus the face value.
- Selling to the Market nets full value but requires the buyer to only pay face value.

What's the point of the two locations:
Pawn Shop- "Passive/Defensive" less resources now but opponent pays more later.
Market- "Aggressive/Offensive" full resources now but opponent also pays equal amount later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
shirtman wrote:
I have recently translated the German Rules into English but I think I will need to revise them since there is still some ambiguity on some of the rules, specifically Phase 1 and Phase 2-

I understand your point about the ambiguity on some points in the rules. To understand what happens, you could read the example game as well. A few things are mentioned there which are not done so in the rules themselves. However, I have the Dutch version and I'm not sure if the German version of the rules matches the Dutch rules. I can answer your questions, though.

shirtman wrote:
For the Basic Game:
1. On this phase you draw from the stack of building/event cards. When you draw a building tile must you take it into your hand (after income) or can you discard it? I assume the best option is to sell it to the Pawn Shop but of course it allows other players to purchase later in the game. If you can discard it, would it be placed next to the draw pile (German- "covered pile")? Once a card is discarded does this prevent anyone from acquiring it later in the game?
2. If you lose a building card by an Event, does it go into the discard pile?

1. When you draw a card from the building/event deck, if you reveal an event card, you must resolve it. If it does not specify one or a few players, then it counts for all players. After you resolved an event card, you discard it and draw another card. If that is an event card, you repeat the process, including drawing a new card, until you draw a building card. The building card goes to your hand, which is mandatory. You can't just discard a building if you don't wish to take it, unless a specific effect (which could be on an influence card, but I'm not sure if there is such a card) says so. Yes, the best option is to get it to the Pawn Shop if you don't want to keep it. Especially cheep buildings can be sold, because an opponent still has to pay 5 bricks for a building at the Pawn Shop to buy it, while the building itself doesn't give him much income or points (when built).

2. Yes, and that doesn't just count for events, but for infuence cards and for the action by which you break down a building after paying 5 bricks to the bank as well.

shirtman wrote:
For the Strategic Game:
1. During Phase 2, this is an excerpt below of the English translation:
"Buying- By paying 5 bricks, you can acquire a card from the Pawn Shop at it’s face value. You can also draw a Building card from the pile for the same cost."
The second part is unclear to me, What pile are they referencing (draw or discard) and what is the cost (5 bricks + it's face value)?
2. Free Market vs. Pawn Shop:
- Selling to the Pawn Shop nets ½ value but requires the buyer to spend 5 bricks plus the face value.
- Selling to the Market nets full value but requires the buyer to only pay face value.

1. From the Dutch rules, I understand that the Pawn Shop has the exact same mechanisms as in the base game. You'll recieve the number of bricks equal to half of a building's face value, rounded up, and you'll have to pay 5 bricks to buy a building from the Pawn Shop, no matter what face value it has. Also, both in the base game and in the strategic variant, you may pay 5 bricks to buy a building by drawing it from the building/event draw pile. If you draw an event, then this situation is dealt with as in phase 1 of your turn, and then you keeping drawing cards and resolve events until you draw a building. Keep in mind that you can't look at the building from the draw pile and then decide not to take it; first you'll have to pay 5 bricks and after that you draw cards until you get the building. At the moment you decide to draw a card, even if it is an event, there is no turn back.

2. Yes, that is almost correct. I say almost, because must have built a trade building on the board to sell to or buy from the Free Market, at the price values you described.

shirtman wrote:
What's the point of the two locations:
Pawn Shop- "Passive/Defensive" less resources now but opponent pays more later.
Market- "Aggressive/Offensive" full resources now but opponent also pays equal amount later.

The point is that the Pawn Shop gives you the oppertunity to get some bricks for especially cheep buildings that are not very useful for getting income at the early stages of the game. If you're unable to get a trade building on the board somehow, to buy and sell lucratively to and from the Free Market, but you'll need points for the win, - however, you're getting a lot of income - then you could decide to buy a few buildings from the Pawn Shop to give you a chance for victory later in the game.

The Free Market is a nice way to sell more expensive buildings. You'll get more bricks, to claim more expensive areas with a bigger income bonus easier for example, and at the same time your opponent has a chance to buy a building a little cheaper, but just a little cheaper; if you're playing it right, he's not going to spare many or any bricks by buying from the Free Market compared to the Pawn Shop. As I said before, however, you'll need to have a trade building on the board to buy or sell on the Free Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.