Subject: Hivemind Request: I don't get it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: hivemind [+] [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant to post this a few months back and forgot...better late than never. We use the hivemind to find the titles of old books, movies, etc., but how about old jokes?

My extended family owns a vacation home in Maine. Ever since I was a kid, every year I would read a book of Punch cartoons that somebody left there. I think I at least see the point of every cartoon in the book...except one!

What the heck is going on here? I think the guy in the foreground is supposed to be somebody famous, and there's all sorts of weird items around - the ship in the lower left, the hat next to the boy, the bear trap(?) behind the man, the big wagon wheel in the lower right - that I assume are clues meant to tell us who he is and why the punch line is funny. But I understand none of it. It's been driving me nuts for 45 years, somebody please help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Am I the only one who feels like there is a body buried under those rocks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't actually know, so take this how you will...

It seems like the guy is a scruffy, trampy adventurer type who is full of stories of adventure and travel--just the kind of thing young boys would be excited about. And a scene that is common in books and movies. Usually the scruffy, trampy guy is the "Herald" a la Joseph Campbell, who kicks off the adventure the boys go on But these two young dandies (dressed like little lord Fauntleroy) are "over it", like junior hipsters.

SO rather than be excited by tales of wonder about the wide world, the boys are affectedly uninterested.

Like many cartoons from that era, it may not actually be funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also looks like a defaced drawing, like Garfield without Garfield.

The drawing is super nice, but the boys faces are crudely drawn. So this may well have been a popular illustration at the time that was defaced. Literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
My guess is that he is the prodigal uncle returned (for the umpteenth time) to tell of his adventures (for the umpteenth time).

But if Punch always has a topical subject, then I can't guess what it is.

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
Punch's archive page for the cartoon is:
http://punch.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=0&_bqH=eJxtUN9PgzA...

From the keywords, the fellow in the foreground is Sir Walter Raleigh and the two children are bored of listening to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
"Just because you covered it with rocks doesn't mean it's okay to poop here! Go poop in the woods over there!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the word "Lord", and immediately thought of Jesus walking on the water. "There he goes again. Show-off."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys never had that one uncle with the crazy stories?

Pete (knows exactly where those two kids are coming from)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Torpor wrote:
Punch's archive page for the cartoon is:
http://punch.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=0&_bqH=eJxtUN9PgzA...

From the keywords, the fellow in the foreground is Sir Walter Raleigh and the two children are bored of listening to him.

Bingo!

Now I get it. This is a famous painting illustrating a story from Raleigh's boyhood, where some sailor regaled Raleigh and his brother for hours with thrilling tales of adventure at sea, which in turn made him want to become a great explorer. But in the cartoon version, the brothers are bored out of their minds by the endless stories. I say "a famous painting," but until searching for pictures of Raleigh I had never seen it.

Thanks Philip!

Edit: And there may well be a body buried under those rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Edit: ninja'd

Haha. But you said it so much more succinctly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Hivemind Request: I don't get it yet
HE's the 'original LONE Yorkshireman' and is explaining HOW they used to 'reside' within the nearby 'pothole'/"Lake"/'box'/etc. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
HE's the 'original LONE Yorkshireman' and is explaining HOW they used to 'reside' within the nearby 'pothole'/"Lake"/'box'/etc. robot
etc? ETC? Why I used to dream of having etc.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
etc? ETC? Why I used to dream of having etc.....
shake You have to 'SLEEP' at 'night' in order too "dream", as we tried yet futile "day-dreamst" for doing just THAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset
Although I'm so tired I'll have another cigarette
And curse Sir Walter Raleigh
He was such a stupid git
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
whistle ~"LIFE in a Northern Yorkshire TOWN, man!"
wow ~"A-L-L the 'work' "shut-down!" NOW, 're-open' them!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Horabin
United Kingdom
Hounslow
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
Spearmint - A Different Lifetime
mbmbmbmbmb
The painting also features in Susan Hill's ghost story 'The Woman in Black'. It's hanging in the nursery of the haunted house which frequently gets cut off by the tides and fog and I assume was used to add to the nautical dangers being inflicted on the book's protagonist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

But in the cartoon version, the brothers are bored out of their minds by the endless stories.

In the original, the boys dont look all that interested. I understand that, in those days, being overly excited about anything probably got you locked up, or shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
"[The original colour painting] represents the heroic Imperialism in late Victorian Britain."

--https://maryannadair.com/2015/06/05/there-is-no-malaise-invo...
__
bortmonkey wrote:
In the original, the boys dont look all that interested. I understand that, in those days, being overly excited about anything probably got you locked up, or shot.

If you look at old photographs, through maybe the 1930s, people look very serious. It was a thing. They didn't say "cheese", they said "prunes".

--http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/04/the-origin-o...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.