$35.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » Variants

Subject: Is there a popular way to play MTG in solitaire mode? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a popular way to play MTG in solitaire mode?

I know I can play the digital version, but that is not what I mean. The game play could be different than the original game, I do not care much as long as it uses magic cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Theros Challenge decks are a pretty fun, prepackaged way to play solo.

You can also look in to the Horde Magic variant for options you can make on your own. (There are some links to articles and samples at the bottom of that page.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are probably a handful of Solo variants out there, but I've never played them.

The only official paper Magic solo options I know of were the Challenge Decks from Theros Block.

They were intended to be a multiplayer activity during the pre-releases and subsequent Gamedays as you were following the Hero's Path, but since it's the player(s) against the AI of the Challenge Decks, I played them both solo and "two-handed" solo.

Note that it's ideal to add the promo Hero Cards to play against the Challenge Deck.

The Challenge Decks offer a decent amount of enjoyment, but they're probably not that great for long-term play or testing decks and such. I spent more time than I should have trying to acquire the stuff, but got tired of it quickly.

Looks like you can pick these items up for fairly cheap on TCG Player

- Face the Hydra (Theros)
- Battle the Horde (Born of the Gods)
- Defeat a God (Journey into Nyx)

And all 21 Hero's Path cards are cheap as well.

- Hero's Path Promo's

I hope this helps in your solo pursuit.

My only other suggestion is to just play both sides of a game of Magic open-handed. Sure, you can't "get" anyone with counters, but it helps test decks and find optimal lines of play in many instances. Though it sounds like you're looking for an alternate solo variant anyway.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am making an experimentation with magic card that will involve designing my own cards in the process. If I can get a solo working variant already, that would make 1 thing less to design.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another nearly-solitaire mode that can be played is against "Garruk the Slayer", an oversize planeswalker card that was provided at the M15 prerelease to be a single-card opponent.



Basically, it's your deck against a 20-loyalty planeswalker with 4 abilities. Sure, it's ideally piloted by a sentient opponent who can decide which ability to activate each turn and how many wolves to attack with and how many to leave back to block. But the decisionmaking is pretty trivial most of the time - the 'deck' doesn't have any secrets, it's not about to draw a bomb or be holding a surprise. The optimal line of play is usually straightforward enough that you could play it out by yourself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Battle and Defeat Challenge decks. Pretty cards, but skip 'em. If anyone in the SF Bay area wants to trade for a Defeat deck, drop me a PM.

Deep IQ is a chart-based IA that simulates an opponent with an increasing mana curve. You can, of course, make your own charts for various types of Magic decks, once you get the idea of how this chart works. You can also make your own mana curve mechanics for your physical decks.

http://www.wooberg.net/deep-iq.html
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Basically, it's your deck against a 20-loyalty planeswalker with 4 abilities.


This is very interesting. That could work for me. But how does the loyalty mechanic works. What does +4 and -25 means?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
I have the Battle and Defeat Challenge decks. Pretty cards, but skip 'em. If anyone in the SF Bay area wants to trade for a Defeat deck, drop me a PM.

Deep IQ is a chart-based IA that simulates an opponent with an increasing mana curve. You can, of course, make your own charts for various types of Magic decks, once you get the idea of how this chart works. You can also make your own mana curve mechanics for your physical decks.

http://www.wooberg.net/deep-iq.html


There was an article a few years ago that updated Deep IQ to modern-day Magic power levels:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/serious-fun/dee...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:

Basically, it's your deck against a 20-loyalty planeswalker with 4 abilities.


This is very interesting. That could work for me. But how does the loyalty mechanic works. What does +4 and -25 means?


It's just like any planeswalker card in the game (the Planeswalker card type has existed for 9 years now...). The number in the lower right corner is its starting loyalty (in this case it starts with 20 loyalty counters). Once on each of its controller's turns, during the main phase and with an empty stack, the planeswalker's controller can activate one of that planeswalker's loyalty abilities. As a cost they add or remove the number of loyalty counters as indicated in that ability's symbol, and the abiity is placed on the stack.

Creatures can be assigned to attack a planeswalker just like they could be assigned to attack a player; that planeswalker's controller can use his/her creatures to block. Or, any noncombat damage dealt to a player by any source an opponent controls can, at that opponent's option, have that damage redirected from the player to a planeswalker that player controls. In either case, for each point of damage the planeswalker takes, it loses 1 loyalty. If the planeswalker is reduced to 0 (or less) loyalty is is placed in the graveyard (or in the case of this game, defeated).

Read here:
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Planeswalkers

Planeswalkers are a pretty big part of Magic play nowadays. They're the feature card in this fall's Kaladesh introductory product, and have been the feature cards of half of the Duel Deck products released in recent (and not so recent) years, like the current "Nissa vs Ob Nixilis" deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! OK, it was used to represent your self but could also be used as an AI it self. Still I like the mechanic pattern for an AI.

You could have conditions like if the AI has 10 or less loyalty do action X else do action Y. If there are more than 3 tokens in play, attack. That could make a simple AI system using a single card since you use tokens for enemy monsters instead of cards. It's worth exploring.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1995, Mark Rosewater (head designer of Magic) wrote up Mana Maze Solitaire rules and published them in THE DUELIST magazine.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/mana-maz...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gatchaman wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:
I have the Battle and Defeat Challenge decks. Pretty cards, but skip 'em. If anyone in the SF Bay area wants to trade for a Defeat deck, drop me a PM.

Deep IQ is a chart-based IA that simulates an opponent with an increasing mana curve. You can, of course, make your own charts for various types of Magic decks, once you get the idea of how this chart works. You can also make your own mana curve mechanics for your physical decks.

http://www.wooberg.net/deep-iq.html


There was an article a few years ago that updated Deep IQ to modern-day Magic power levels:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/serious-fun/dee...


Alas, it appears "wooberg.net expired on 11/23/2016 and is pending renewal or deletion." I just found this thread and would have loved to explore what was on there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogue148 wrote:
gatchaman wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:
I have the Battle and Defeat Challenge decks. Pretty cards, but skip 'em. If anyone in the SF Bay area wants to trade for a Defeat deck, drop me a PM.

Deep IQ is a chart-based IA that simulates an opponent with an increasing mana curve. You can, of course, make your own charts for various types of Magic decks, once you get the idea of how this chart works. You can also make your own mana curve mechanics for your physical decks.

http://www.wooberg.net/deep-iq.html


There was an article a few years ago that updated Deep IQ to modern-day Magic power levels:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/serious-fun/dee...


Alas, it appears "wooberg.net expired on 11/23/2016 and is pending renewal or deletion." I just found this thread and would have loved to explore what was on there.


It looks like the site content is up on archive.org if you look for it there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.