$35.00
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite cool:

http://www.sciencealert.com/quantum-teleportation-was-just-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought about beating you to posting this when I saw it on slashdot this morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could quantum teleportation be used to synchronize events over very large distances (in theory?)

I.e. you have two spaceships a light year a part and they use quantum teleportation to start moving at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Could quantum teleportation be used to synchronize events over very large distances (in theory?)

I.e. you have two spaceships a light year a part and they use quantum teleportation to start moving at the same time.

Not as far as I understand.

The rough computer science analogy is that if you set A = B, then no matter how far away A and B are when you look at them, A still equals B.

As the article says, it isn't actually "teleportation", but it does have some very interesting cryptography/encoding potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

you can't send information faster than light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
This is where the "teleportation" angle loses me. According to the explanation at the link for Quantum Entanglement, the state/configuration change should be instantaneous over any distance for the two particles. Why does there need to be a light medium between them? Why are photons part of the equation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
jmilum wrote:
This is where the "teleportation" angle loses me. According to the explanation at the link for Quantum Entanglement, the state/configuration change should be instantaneous over any distance for the two particles. Why does there need to be a light medium between them? Why are photons part of the equation?

there needs to be a "classical communication" element involved for information to be sent, doesn't necessarily need to be photons, but those would be the fastest (pigeons could be used)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Hey, let's give kudos to Sfox and Ferret. They post interesting material, rather than warmed-over campaign releases or the outrage du jour, and you'll occasionally be surprised by their positions on issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
there needs to be a "classical communication" element involved for information to be sent, doesn't necessarily need to be photons, but those would be the fastest (pigeons could be used)
OK, I think understand now, the "state" of the particles are used as the encryption key and that is what is securely "teleported" independent of the medium. The actual information that is wanted to be transmitted is encrypted using that key and transmitted across fiber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
maxo-texas wrote:

jmilum wrote:
cool "Braille" 'works' EVEN in 'dark'! "Morsel Code", with the 'admonishment' of: "JUST for Blind Kids!",eh? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
and you'll occasionally be surprised by their positions on issues.

We can't know Ferret's position on any issue because we already know he moves at the Speed of Wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm NOT getting into any teleporter. I'll take the shuttle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Not Alpha enough to survive in the mirror universe? Whimp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Shampoo4you wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
wow "Talking" SMAC here, we gots "Space Elevator", with soonish; "Space Escalator", "Space Dumbwaiter", hell, why not "Space Rope" for the heartier folk!
robot~"Terribly Crowded SPACE, No Secret!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

When you get teleported, you die. Undeniably so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Hey now, that depends on the teleporter. 40K teleports just send you through the warp to your destination.

So assuming you don't get torn apart by horrific monstrosities along the way, or driven mad, or afflicted with some kind of psychic parasite that will slowly eat your brain, you teleport without dying just fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
I deny it! What about teleportation where space is folded from point A to B and then back with you staying at point B instead of A?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
I deny it! What about teleportation where space is folded from point A to B and then back with you staying at point B instead of A?

We're talking about the traditional scatter and reassemble method. Not some wormhole, folding space, sci-fi mumbo jumbo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
We're talking about the traditional scatter and reassemble method. Not some wormhole, folding space, sci-fi mumbo jumbo.
Oh yeah, the kind that our grandparents used to have to do to school everyday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
Oh yeah, the kind that our grandparents used to have to do to school everyday.

Precisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Quantum pigeons. Hm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jmilum wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Quantum pigeons. Hm....
"Thought-Carrier Pigeons" were 'instantaneous' and you even 'imagined' THIS as so, just now 'Homings'! \sauron/ ~"I'ma 'ribaldeagle'!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Quantum pigeons. Hm....
Actually George Lucas's first choice as a name for Han's ship. Cooler heads prevailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Quantum pigeons. Hm....
Actually George Lucas's first choice as a name for Han's ship. Cooler heads prevailed.

LOL! It would be a great name for a ship in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jmilum wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Quantum pigeons. Hm....
TheChin! wrote:
"Malicious Mallard" just didn't quite *Quark*. >sauron ~"Donald--Duck of Death!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.