Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have just played through scenario 1:3 Lair of the Vile and Vicious. Upon finish I was rewarded with the sword Radiance and a scale of my choice.

When it came down to the choice I opted not to take either of the cards because my characters have some good gear and only two of the four characters I play with can use weapons. Again, Radiance seemed a little weak in comparison to i.e. The Lance so I put it and the scale back to the box.

Later, though, reading through the epilogue of this scenario in the Adventure Guide I have learned that the story puts some importance to Radiance and I am now wondering if I have made the right choice putting it back in the box.

Does the sword Radiance pay an important role later in the game and is there a chance to obtain the sword by other means later but before it is required for the story?

Kind regards,

- K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking! As the writer of the Adventure Guide, I'm delighted my adaptation of the RPG modules elicited a reaction from you as a reader.

Mechanically speaking, the card game provides an opportunity to redeem the sword and make it a more powerful weapon. Many PACG players house rule that Loot items can be stored in a "bank" for later use.

As far as the Adventure Guide goes, you'll learn a little more about the sword later in the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You passed on Radiance but that doesn't mean you have no chance to get it again. By the rules, when you need to get a card from the box, due to upgrades or banishing a card, you can pick either a Basic card or one that is 2 adventure decks lower. Loot cards have a type and an adventure deck number, so they can also be found later.

Does Radiance play an important role? Not exactly, but if you have a Paladin, it's a really good card to have. It also gives you a special opportunity later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for replying. I actually went back to the box and took radiance as I was still in the in-between games phase.

@Autoduelist:

To be honest, the Adventure Guides were the thing that drew me in to playing PACG. I have tried once with a friend who introduced me to PACG, but I found the game too two dimmentional and I did not connect to it as it lacked a properly outlined storyline. Once I tried the game the second time reading the Rise of the Runelords story guide in lieu the tet on the cards, the mystery theme drew me right in. Since then I am a fan of Pathfinder and the Adventure Guides are a must have addition to any set I buy. Thank you for taking time and preparing them. I hope you will find the time to write up another adventure guide for the upcoming Mummy's Mask set as well.

Kind regards,

- K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.