$5.00
$15.00
$30.00
$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: No Nova - Sam Alexander - Custom? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
A little surprised, since he is very popular. I might take a shot, have several good images. Let me know if you have any ideas for mechanics for this teen cosmic hero.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are at least four versions of him in the Marvel Master Database. Are none of these the Sam Alexander version? Note: I have no idea for I have not picked up a comic book in over 20 years and know basically nothing of new stuff except what I've seen in the MCU.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1541183/my-take-new-warrior...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1537753/new-warriors-and-re...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1352301/dan-hogans-customs-...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/982616/mimics-customshavokp...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Those four are all Nova (Richard Rider) rather than Nova (Sam Alexander) and it seems that there aren't any of the latter in RangerRob's database.

I prefer RR, but I'd be interested to see a Sam Alexander custom.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb

the kid is super popular
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corran Thorn
msg tools
mb
Netflix has the show Amazing Spiderman, which is fairly new. Talks about a lot of the newer teen heroes, including Sam Alexander. Definitely super likeable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was actually thinking of making a Champions expansion once the new comic came out with some stuff. Him, Ms.Marvel, Young Cyclops, Viv Vision, Cho-Hulk, and Ultimate Spider-man. Be kinda like the Fear Itself in format. Already trying to think of new keywords haha.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
he is brash, wondering if any game mechanics could capture that. Like maybe he gains attack at the cost of recruit from other cards, like him rushing into battle with no thought.

Focus 1 Recruit: Nova gains +1 Attack

or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cad37 wrote:
he is brash, wondering if any game mechanics could capture that. Like maybe he gains attack at the cost of recruit from other cards, like him rushing into battle with no thought.

Focus 1 Recruit: Nova gains +1 Attack

or something.

I already have that keyword prepared if you want:
Brash: This hero's superpower activates only if this is the first card you play or if it follows another card with the Brash keyword.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gonna tale a shot at him soon too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Doctor Nightmare wrote:
cad37 wrote:
he is brash, wondering if any game mechanics could capture that. Like maybe he gains attack at the cost of recruit from other cards, like him rushing into battle with no thought.

Focus 1 Recruit: Nova gains +1 Attack

or something.

I already have that keyword prepared if you want:
Brash: This hero's superpower activates only if this is the first card you play or if it follows another card with the Brash keyword.

Man....that's a brilliant keyword...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
redlion64 wrote:
Doctor Nightmare wrote:
cad37 wrote:
he is brash, wondering if any game mechanics could capture that. Like maybe he gains attack at the cost of recruit from other cards, like him rushing into battle with no thought.

Focus 1 Recruit: Nova gains +1 Attack

or something.

I already have that keyword prepared if you want:
Brash: This hero's superpower activates only if this is the first card you play or if it follows another card with the Brash keyword.

Man....that's a brilliant keyword...

Why, thank you kind sir. I've got a couple heroes on the backburner that i'll be making when i have that precious time we all never have enough of, that will be using it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
I agree BRILLIANT keyword. Brash. Love it.

I am probably, however, missing something on the "if this is the first card you play" dynamic. I know some of the heroes already have this mechanic. Usually, I can decide in an arbitrary manner which of my cards I will "play first", so it doesn't seem to be much of a limitation, unless two cards in my hand require this. Generally, though, if I have 6 or more cards in my hand, and only one of them requires a "play first" to trigger, it seems too easy unless I am missing something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
cad37 wrote:
I agree BRILLIANT keyword. Brash. Love it.

I am probably, however, missing something on the "if this is the first card you play" dynamic. I know some of the heroes already have this mechanic. Usually, I can decide in an arbitrary manner which of my cards I will "play first", so it doesn't seem to be much of a limitation, unless two cards in my hand require this. Generally, though, if I have 6 or more cards in my hand, and only one of them requires a "play first" to trigger, it seems too easy unless I am missing something?

I think the idea is that you can only play one first. So other cards with Brash that turn don't do much.

Like one says "Brash: Draw a card" vs "Brash: KO a card in your hand or discard pile." You only get the one that turn. It gets harder the more Brash you have. Even just two of the "Draw a card" means you only get the one card draw.

Also, depending on what it does will set off plays the rest of the game. Again, with the "Draw a card", that means you can't play other cards that manipulate that top card first.

But yeah, it isn't much of a limitation sometimes (if you only have one in your hand.) So I could see it being tricky to balance. Making it worth picking one over the other, while not making the card horrible when you have multiple Brash cards.

Maybe something like 2<ATTACK> 4<COST>, Brash: You get +2<ATTACK>?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually you're both kinda right. I meant Brash to be a hindrance keyword but not so that you would only want to recruit Nova cards. take a look at those 2 cards i quickly made up to show you guys.



Imagine i play the first card, to get the +2 i must like normal have played a range hero before. But because Nova is Brash the range card must be one from a hero who is also brash. Most likely one of his cards. But say you played a hero with man out of time on your last turn, the first card you play will be the m.o.o.t. replay, so you won't be able to activate any brash hero superpower on your turn.

I didn't mean it to be game breaking but to be able to combo your cards you'll need brash heroes, so any cards that are more useful when played first in a round are suddenly harder to play. Am i clear?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ahhhhh, so you HAVE to play Brash cards first. All of them. Got it!
The only part I don't understand is why MOOT would prevent you from activating Brash superpowers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
redlion64 wrote:
Ahhhhh, so you HAVE to play Brash cards first. All of them. Got it!
The only part I don't understand is why MOOT would prevent you from activating Brash superpowers.

Because it is instantly the first card played on your next turn or am i mistaken?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's correct. Which means it would trigger any superpowers normally.

Like Winter Soldier who has a Tech MOOT and other cards that trigger off of Tech. So when it comes back, it triggers all the other cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And preventing you from playing a Brash hero first.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess I am still confused on how you have Brash working giving the cards you have as examples haha.

Try defining Brash like you would in the rules.

Ex: Teleport: Instead of playing this card, you may set it aside and add it to your hand at the end of the turn when you draw a new hand.

So what exactly does Brash do?

*Edit* Looking back, I see that I must have overlooked it haha. I like that Brash can still trigger after other Brash cards, but idk if i'd link it with super powers as well. And if so, that is pretty much a double lock to get that super power. I guess I need to eagerly wait to see your final Nova or other Brash heroes to fully understand your vision
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Btw, I don't know if you are still looking for a Sam-Nova, but I cooked one up for my Champions expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.