Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question regarding Russian tech spy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian Gaehtgens
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi everybody,
is it correct that a Russian flag merely needs to reach the city, not the city center, in order to disband and steal a tech?
I couldn't find anything on that in the rules and am not sure: can they really perform their special ability on any of the nine city squares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 8 squares around the city are the city outskirt.
The city tile is actually the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Gaehtgens
Germany
flag msg tools
Mmmh, in the rules I find they call the 8 squares the outskirt, the tile itself the city center, and the whole thing the city.

All reference to the russian special ability is always made to the city, never to the city centre.

I am not sure. I do think it would be too strong if they can do it on all nine squares, but I just didn't find any real clear wording in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Watts
New Zealand
Hawera South Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I generally play that it needs to reach the tile representing the city center to use the ability. Otherwise as has been said ability would be too strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Gaehtgens
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing in.

If there is anyone who knows something definite other than what you generally play, I would appreciate hearing from you (though your personal interpretations regarding this are still welcome, of course).

The question arose in the game I played today where we decided to allow Russia to disband her army on any of the 8 surrounding squares - which resulted in her opponents being virtually unable to stop her from constantly doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foognut wrote:
My wife and I generally play that it needs to reach the tile representing the city center to use the ability. Otherwise as has been said ability would be too strong.

I kind of feel the opposite, that the Russians ability would be too weak if they had to reach the city center. It's takes long enough to build new figures and move them to the outskirts without getting defeated in battle and there may not be a usable tech available from that Civ when you get there. To require the Russian figure to get to the city center, perhaps having to go around lines of opposing figures, would be too harsh IMO. My belief is that the Russian ability only requires a figure to reach the outskirt squares of a city and not the center. BTW, I don't think I've ever seen anyone win a tech victory with the Russians, but maybe they just weren't correctly utilizing the Russian special ability.

A side question - if the Russian figure moves onto a square in the outskirts containing an opposing figure, I assume a battle would take place (per the rule about movement immediately stops and battle is resolved) before the unit could be disbanded, and it the Russian unit was defeated, it could no longer disband for a free tech. Is this a good assumption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Gaehtgens
Germany
flag msg tools
hgcoleman wrote:

I kind of feel the opposite, that the Russians ability would be too weak if they had to reach the city center. It's takes long enough to build new figures and move them to the outskirts without getting defeated in battle and there may not be a usable tech available from that Civ when you get there.

You may be right. But then again, build Hanging Gardens in Turn 2, which Russia can easily accomplish because of the production bonus, and here comes a newborn spy every turn...

hgcoleman wrote:

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen anyone win a tech victory with the Russians, but maybe they just weren't correctly utilizing the Russian special ability.

The only two games I've ever played looked like a Russian tech victory precisely because Russia did what I outlined above. But then, we never did finish these games (for lack of time) and we are a noobie group, so maybe that doesn't really mean anything.

hgcoleman wrote:

A side question - if the Russian figure moves onto a square in the outskirts containing an opposing figure, I assume a battle would take place (per the rule about movement immediately stops and battle is resolved) before the unit could be disbanded, and it the Russian unit was defeated, it could no longer disband for a free tech. Is this a good assumption?

I would absolutely agree. But that exact interpretation also lead us to think that you couldn't disband the figure in the city centre, since moving there would trigger combat first. So to me the whole question remains open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
City Markers - from the main rules.

Cities are indicated on the map by city markers. Each player receives three city markers – one capital and two normal cities. City markers have a walled version on their back.

Unless they specify outskirts, the city is the city marker only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.