Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How often have you seen casual STAW games happening in game stores in the last couple of months? Do you think I would be correct if I said that the current player base of STAW is almost wholly focused on mixed faction OP play? Or do you see regular play (maybe even in groups) where they are not playing OPs? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
The form I see it take is open play nights. Depending on the store, they might focus on Organized Play prep or they may just be goofing around.

In terms of faction mixing, I see some. Not a lot. Usually a single captain or Sakonna.

The store I go to, we mess around with unconventional builds geared towards the next OP. It is fun bringing Ferengi to mess with some poor sap who didnt pay attention to the OP rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've seen a few "playing STAW" in our local store that we run OP events at.

Not recently, however, and I feel the scare-quotes are justified, as they are basically playing a game of their own creation. Extensive custom rules including directional-damage and 360-arcs, some kind of simple power allocation, etc. Still using the ship cards and many captain/upgrade cards from the base game, but...not much like regular STAW at all.

There is another group in our area that has started playing STAW more casually, but most of them (I understand) are just learning the game and plan to start doing the OP events once they are comfortable enough with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
How often have you seen casual STAW games happening in game stores in the last couple of months? Do you think I would be correct if I said that the current player base of STAW is almost wholly focused on mixed faction OP play? Or do you see regular play (maybe even in groups) where they are not playing OPs? Just curious.

I find the opposite true, but it isn't really fair to compare really. I see several casual games a week being played at the store (and many more at home), but op play is only once a month or so. You really can't compare people getting together whenever they feel like it and have the time though to a scheduled event that only happens once a month. Of course they won't line up.

I think, at least around here, there is a lit more interest in casual fun, scenario games than op play though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Chinn
msg tools
mbmbmb
Round here (SE UK) Attack Wing is going strong, and has basically seen off X-Wing on our casual weekly games nights.

We are a faction pure venue and mainly play large multi-player games where each player's fleet is built to tournament rules. OP player rarely happens for attack wing at our venue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Prague we play Faction Pure only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the North Dallas area, we had plenty of stores running events last year. But, now the largest shop has moved wholly into Xwing and doesnt carry or support STAW anymore. One of the smaller stores just put their inventory on 30% off sale.
I see Xwing played everywhere, almost every time I go into a shop. If more people were playing STAW casually, then it should still be on shelves, but its slowly going away around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
The form I see it take is open play nights. Depending on the store, they might focus on Organized Play prep or they may just be goofing around.

In terms of faction mixing, I see some. Not a lot. Usually a single captain or Sakonna.

The store I go to, we mess around with unconventional builds geared towards the next OP. It is fun bringing Ferengi to mess with some poor sap who didnt pay attention to the OP rules.

What Church14 said, I'm usually the one he's doing the screwy builds with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the game has dried up completely here in Austin. I stepped away from the game nearly two years ago due to work schedule conflicts and player fatigue. I've just recently been wanting to get back into the game and started asking around at my local game stores to see who is still running events. Not only is no one running games, but none of the stores I've checked so far even have ships in stock anymore.

Two years ago, this city hosted the very first Attack Wing Regionals tournament. Now, there's not a single event (OP or casual), starter set, or booster pack in sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Star Trek: Attack Wing played at my local game store (Tacoma WA) precisely once, and that had to have been well over a year ago. Simply put, it never caught on around here. Conversely I see games of Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game and Star Wars: Armada being played on a regular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have several groups that play it in the local store and one of our local podcasts play it from time to time (twitter pics are proof right?). There is a group that plays every Tuesday night and Attack wing is one of them regular games at it.

That said it did take us a while to track down the players themselves, we kept finding their attack wing stuff under the tables at the store. Even managed to recruit a few of them to join us in OP games, did not even have to force them or anything.

So locally it is happening, one of the big “fears” I hear of from the players I have talked to is that the OP events will be full of Borg and thus they don’t want to attend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've only been playing Attack Wing since June (though had an interest in it ever since it was first announced). So far I've only ever played in OP events; Temporal Cold War 2 and 3, The Doomsday Machine, and The Void at my local store, and The Wrath of Khan at a store I was visiting further away.

I'd love to get some non-OP games in at my local store, but my attempts to organise anything so far have come up against something of a brick wall of apathy. It does help somewhat that my local store's OP events aren't run as super competitive and everyone who comes along do so with a very casual attitude towards fleet building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
About once a month, and we play faction pure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We get together every Wednesday night for board games, but since Cube 384 came out, we've set aside one Wednesday a month to play the awesome co-op game together. It's also perfect to bring in new players as you can bring an extra fleet in case someone shows up - or just let someone take over one of your own ships since each person has 3. We only play Mixed, but we sometimes put fun restrictions on our builds, such as no captain skill higher than 5, including any bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

I haven't seen many casual STAW games recently. Of course, I haven't seen many casual games of anything else, either: I don't tend to hit the store when people are doing casual stuff. 40K, Age of Sigmar, and Warmahordes are the only things that I can recall off-hand. And I made a special trip to ask the Warmachine players some questions, so I'm not sure if that should count. OTOH, I'm pretty sure that if someone was playing STAW casually on a random night of the week, the store staff would have told me about it.

I think sales have dropped off somewhat, so home-based casual players may be drying up. But I don't keep careful track of the inventory, so this might just be an artifact of the slower release schedule.

For OP play, there are two local venues. One is penalty-pure, one is mixed faction. But several of the same people play in both. (I'm the TO at the mixed venue, so most of my actual games are penalty-pure.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
SMDMadCow wrote:
I'm in the North Dallas area, we had plenty of stores running events last year. But, now the largest shop has moved wholly into Xwing and doesnt carry or support STAW anymore. One of the smaller stores just put their inventory on 30% off sale.
I see Xwing played everywhere, almost every time I go into a shop. If more people were playing STAW casually, then it should still be on shelves, but its slowly going away around here.

Same here in ATL. Lots of X-Wing and its events are extremely well attended. Shelves are fully stocked (tomorrow I pick up my wave 9 ships from our FLGS).

As for STAW, it's dead, dead, dead. No stock at my favorite shop and no casual pickup games outside the ones we run with our mod (Stawmada). Even the hardcore STAW guys seem to have fallen by the wayside. They were very active through the start of this past summer and then...nothing...crickets.

A more measured release schedule and professional design team could have made STAW great. Instead we got an X-wing re-skin with little playtesting and a bizarre force structure that ruined the theme.

Even the paint jobs are garbage. Metallic green and silver? Really? It looks like it came out of cereal box in the 70s. I've had to repaint mine into something usable. Meanwhile, X-Wing ships look great right out of the box!

I can't totally complain. As a relative late comer I get lots of STAW ships super cheap on the Bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
We've seen a few "playing STAW" in our local store that we run OP events at.

Not recently, however, and I feel the scare-quotes are justified, as they are basically playing a game of their own creation. Extensive custom rules including directional-damage and 360-arcs, some kind of simple power allocation, etc. Still using the ship cards and many captain/upgrade cards from the base game, but...not much like regular STAW at all.

That's precisely how we play our mod Stawmada (posted latest version in Variants). Didn't do power allocation but it's implied in a few of the mods for torp/missile fire and cloaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
I've seen Star Trek: Attack Wing played at my local game store (Tacoma WA) precisely once, and that had to have been well over a year ago. Simply put, it never caught on around here. Conversely I see games of Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game and Star Wars: Armada being played on a regular basis.

I may just be in a bad spot for spaceship games. I don't see much X-Wing or Armada around here, either. My FLGS only orders Armada stuff if someone requests it; X-Wing stuff is better stocked, but I've seen two waves of interest come and go pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cage
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wartopia wrote:
SMDMadCow wrote:

Same here in ATL. Lots of X-Wing and its events are extremely well attended. Shelves are fully stocked (tomorrow I pick up my wave 9 ships from our FLGS).

As for STAW, it's dead, dead, dead. No stock at my favorite shop and no casual pickup games outside the ones we run with our mod (Stawmada). Even the hardcore STAW guys seem to have fallen by the wayside. They were very active through the start of this past summer and then...nothing...crickets.

A more measured release schedule and professional design team could have made STAW great. Instead we got an X-wing re-skin with little playtesting and a bizarre force structure that ruined the theme.

Even the paint jobs are garbage. Metallic green and silver? Really? It looks like it came out of cereal box in the 70s. I've had to repaint mine into something usable. Meanwhile, X-Wing ships look great right out of the box!

I can't totally complain. As a relative late comer I get lots of STAW ships super cheap on the Bay.

I don't know where you are playing in ATL, but in Marietta/Kennesaw area we have a sizeable group still. Not as big as it once was, to be sure, but still viable with 6-10 regular OP players and new members joining on causal League games. We play at Hobby Town USA in Kennesaw on 3 Saturdays out of the month, and at Dr. No's in Marietta/Canton on Mondays. We would love to have you come up and join us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

I'm willing to bet that the current player base of STAW is almost wholly focused on playing in each other's homes while buying ships on-line via eBay, using whatever house rules they feel like using.

I'm thinking the game store as a playing venue is not the typical setting for STAW, which is probably true for most games actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I'm willing to bet that the current player base of STAW is almost wholly focused on playing in each other's homes while buying ships on-line via eBay, using whatever house rules they feel like using.

I'm thinking the game store as a playing venue is not the typical setting for STAW, which is probably true for most games actually.

This is just supposition for me, but my bet is that as much as I'd like it to be focused on casual play, if there is a core to to the STAW universe it's mixed faction OP play. Thomas might want to pipe in on what he thinks since he's kind of the leader of the Atlanta group. Almost ALL players I've met there and other places were highly competitive players who are avid builders (mostly in mixed play) and mostly play the OPs. Nothing wrong with that but when you try to make a game into some other sort of game that suits you better, I can attest to the fact that it seldom goes well (I've been accused of that on more than one occasion!).

Oh and the minis for this game aren't BAD, they're just painted badly and in some cases mis-sized. Painted up, many are quite nice looking. Shame you HAVE to paint them but at least the detail on the mini isn't bad. Not a shade on X-Wing or Armada but still not as bad as normally supposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
This is just supposition for me, but my bet is that as much as I'd like it to be focused on casual play, if there is a core to to the STAW universe it's mixed faction OP play.

I suspect that the plurality of STAW gamers are playing casually at home: that's true for almost every game, from Magic and 40K to the latest Euro cube-pusher. But those players are, by nature, invisible outside their play group. So if you're looking for a social core to STAW, then you might be right about OP play.

I'm less sure about the mixed faction: back when the game started, mine was one of the only venues in Colorado that placed no limits on mixing factions. I only really follow two venues these days, but one of them does not allow builds that incur a faction penalty.

carbon_dragon wrote:
... but when you try to make a game into some other sort of game that suits you better, I can attest to the fact that it seldom goes well (I've been accused of that on more than one occasion!).

Don't take it as an accusation, more a recognition of motive. The trick is that, when you modify an existing game, you have made your journey harder. With a published game, you just need to convince your play group to try out the game. When modifying a game, you need to convince them of the starting point, and then convince them that the changes you've made will be improvements.

They might agree, for instance, with power allocation being a mandatory part of Trek combat. But now you need to convince them that starting with STAW and adding power allocation is a better route than starting with FedCom and running fleet scale, or starting with Full Thrust and adding power allocation, or learning Squadron Strike and modifying some basic designs to use more AP.

carbon_dragon wrote:
Oh and the minis for this game aren't BAD, they're just painted badly and in some cases mis-sized. Painted up, many are quite nice looking. Shame you HAVE to paint them but at least the detail on the mini isn't bad. Not a shade on X-Wing or Armada but still not as bad as normally supposed.

Believe me, they are painted better than the rest of my spaceship minis. Which is to say, they are painted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
It looks like the game has dried up completely here in Austin. I stepped away from the game nearly two years ago due to work schedule conflicts and player fatigue. I've just recently been wanting to get back into the game and started asking around at my local game stores to see who is still running events. Not only is no one running games, but none of the stores I've checked so far even have ships in stock anymore.

Two years ago, this city hosted the very first Attack Wing Regionals tournament. Now, there's not a single event (OP or casual), starter set, or booster pack in sight.

Danny, DL San Antonio still has some ships, but I asked Chris about OPs and he said the store likely wouldn't run them again without a player base.

If you could convince DL Austin to do one of the one-off OPs I would gladly drive up. Or, even if you just want to play sometime for fun.

I miss the "old days"....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw STAW being played in the wild this summer at FFG store. Friends having fun with faction pure, from remains of it. They still carry a nice selection of it. The Source here as well, both even still run OPs though I have not been to either stores OP events I always ask about them. Both say they are still well attended. I've been busier over summer and their wave release and such is making more of a game of finding it to buy. Usually I am late and out of luck, so Amazon of last resort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale McKee
msg tools
Our venue plays casual STAW almost every Thursday night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.