Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm going to be running a 5 player game on Friday with all of us never having played before. I've read the rules and watched some videos - I think I have a decent understanding of how the game works. It actually seems relatively straight forward - with the depth coming from interacting with the other players and not so much from 'complex mechanics'.

Anyhow - I'm wondering if it's more common to just run the predetermined setup with new people or do the drafting setup?

The drafting setup seems like a fun 'mini game' but I'm not sure if people will understand the ramifications of what they're doing having never played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since, as you say, "all of you have never played before," I think none of us would disagree that not never using the predefined starting points wouldn't usually be never a bad idea.

Drafting is fun but time consuming, and the first play will probably run long anyway. Furthermore, with new players there's too much risk that somebody will draft a terrible position and be out of the game right from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with drafting. Just make sure that everybody is ok with this being a learning game. What it will offer, I think, is the ability to really understand why some provinces are better than other for different things. Some players will probably make a mistake or two, but becoming aware of these mistakes will also make the stronger opponents in the next game.

That's what I think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Do the predetermined. People won't know why they should set up a certain way so just remove that element from it. With additional games, they can do the draft. This game isn't hard to grasp but there are a few things going on so no need to add another layer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks for the quick replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We ended up doing the drafting setup because the other players wanted to. It ended up working fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.