Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months ago I played Kingdom Death: Monster and I really enjoyed how creepy the game was but I know that I won't get to play it that often nor will I ever see myself owning it so it is off the table.

I played betrayal and it does have those creepy moments but I hated the game so it is also off the table.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goldman
United States
Freeville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. It's app-driven, and as such, has a nice atmosphere and has ambient music. Highly recommended! thumbsup

(Edit: for clarity.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
The new Mansions of Madness: Second Edition is supposed to be good. The price tag is putting me off for now, it's probably one I'll ask for at Christmas. You could also check out the new Arkham Horror: The Card Game. It doesn't come out until next month, but it looks like a lot of fun, and definitely has a dark/creepy atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death is the only board game I've played that doesn't revert to a horror-as-comedy trope. So your question is tough to answer. I'd certainly look at Nate Hayden's designs, particularly Psycho Raiders or Cave Evil. There's a new one coming out in the Cave Evil universe.

Zombicide certainly does the best at simulating being mobbed and eaten by Zombies, though the aesthetic is pretty cartoony, so it's tough to be scared or creeped out by the game. Depending on how you feel about the various subject matters, Freedom: The Underground Railroad is a fairly stark take on escaping slaves in 18th century America and Juden Raus is a Holocaust era board game about rounding up Jews. Neither is necessarily creepy in the sense of Kingdom Death or Arkham Horror, but both are disturbing in their own right.

Other than that, I would recommend taking a look at T.I.M.E Stories. Without spoiling anything, the base game's story takes place in an asylum and is pretty darn creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on how dark/creepy you want the games.

Camp Grizzly is a nice horror game that feels like every 70s & 80s slasher. It can be a bit campy at times, but the art and theme draw me in every time I play. Otis is a hell of a villain in the game!

Emperors of Eternal Evil and Nate Hayden make some amazingly dark games you may want to check out if you're leaning to the darker end of the horror spectrum. He does very small print runs and it's tough to get your hands on his games. However, Cave Evil: Warcults will be out sometime soon and isn't pricey ($39).

Edit: Nathan beat me to it! He has lots of nice suggestions, certainly many to consider if you don't want the campy horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror
Fury of Dracula (third edition) (soon OOP because of the GW/FFG deal that went sour)

not that super creepy but can get suspenseful:

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game (also has a traitor/paranoia element)
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not horror, horror, but its campy 1950's B movie, dice roller, Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game.

It gives the Martian player a lot more to do, options, then slow moving, dumb moving, zombies.

You have to get in the right frame of mind, Orson Welles', War of the Worlds, the Martians come up short, landed in a traveling carnival, they think they are in a town, city.

Beer and pretzels help.

You want dark, gloomy, really bad rule book, spaghetti doesn't do it justice, but good game if you like this ilk, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game.

Not my cup of tea, YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a cool card game that was just dark had a gloominess to the art... It had something to do with crows and spelling out the word murder. I don't remember the name but maybe someone here does. Game play isn't AMAZING.. but you are kind of limiting your self with such a specific genre.

There is also ZOMBIES!!!, Zombicide, anything with zombies really. Also Ghost Stories, Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bolton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read an idea somewhere, so it is not mine.

The idea was to play any of the Werewolf games around a campfire or in the dark and each player would have their own candle. Extinguishing their candle would be a signal of elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Piedmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to find at the moment, but I found Carnival Zombie to be pretty creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe Carnival Zombie might work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cave Evil would fit the bill but I'm not sure how easy it is to obtain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hard to find at the moment, but I found Carnival Zombie to be pretty creepy.

Meh, cubes are not creepy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darklight: memento mori

comes out next year, but you can preorder/late back it right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By far the most horrific, dark, and creepy game you'll ever play:

Psycho Raiders. Unfortunately I think it just went OOP, and I just sold my copy. Version 2 is due (eventually) I believe. Maybe next Halloween.

adm1 wrote:
Cave Evil would fit the bill but I'm not sure how easy it is to obtain.

I own it, and it's very expensive/hard to get. I paid $200, and believe it's worth much more now. Warcults (Cave Evil expansion but is stand alone) is coming out next month I think. Click "Pre-order" at the top, I believe they're still taking orders. This will be very valuable one day.

http://www.cave-evil.com/

I also own KDM. I guess I like the expensive/creepy games.

If you're into video games check out Bloodborne (PS4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the recs! I am excited to watch videos of all these games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth is super thematic! It feels like you are in a zombie movie AND it comes with a horror soundtrack CD you can play to make it even creepier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.