Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After listening to the podcasts about this game, I have a couple concerns. How many scenarios does one need to play until they play the "full" game? And once you have unlocked the full game, how hard is it to get new players up to speed?

I, like many others I'm sure, don't always play games with the same people. The idea of layering on new rules each scenario is an interesting way to learn the game and has been done before. However, it can sometimes make it hard to bring new players to the game once you are several scenarios in. This is also the problem getting campaign games played with our group. Getting the same people together has been troublesome for us. (We are finally near the end of our Imperial Assault campaign, but we are stalled playing Pandemic Legacy in April.)

I don't want a game where I play scenario 1 nine times but never get to scenario 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand you can play and replay any scenario in any order that you want. The order of the scenarios are there to allow a certain ramp up but I highly doubt someone wouldn't able to enjoy the game if they only get to play scenario X without having had play the previous ones.

In addition, I think that only the tutorial scenario doesn't play with all the rules. Yes later scenarios might tweaks rules or introduce new stuff hidden in a sealed box but they won't be too complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviewers have said the scenario order is a suggested order as it follows a story arc. However, you can play whatever scenario you want. Obviously once you have opened sealed boxes they are no longer a surprise. I think they threw that in there as a nice bonus but otherwise unnecessary.

It looks like it has the same replay-ability as RoboRally. The setups in scenarios can be random. You will get a different set of cards during drafting each time. So each time you play a scenario it will be a little different than the last time. Also with it being modular it looks like expansions would be easy to create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know exactly what you're talking about. Bah, Arcadia Quest, quest 1.
I'd say, just play the quick tutorial with them, or your own version of it if they're keeners, and then pick one of the first 1-3 levels as your start. Keeps difficulty low, gives YOU some variability, and leaves room to expand and be surprised if they love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're pretty much playing with the "full game" right out of the gate. The new rules that get unlocked are usually terrain that hasn't been seen previously, or a new objective that the players haven't dealt with yet, or some new scenario-specific enemy behavior.

So any given scenario has the "full game" for that scenario. But sometimes you won't have a map with a "bomb" objective, sometimes you won't have a map with spikes.

But Mission 1 uses the full rules, just not every rule is relevant, so we only introduce the ones that are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxfield Stewart
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've play tested MvM about 15 times in various forms over the past 2.5 years. I still haven't seen every scenario in the box, I spent a lot of time playing various forms of "Mission 1". In that time I've seen a lot of mechanics change but we kept playing that one because it was pretty much the whole game mechanically speaking. Even "Mission 1" itself changed form many many times as the team seemed to zero in on what makes a good first set up.

I've had Chris and Rick walk me through a lot of the other scenarios and played at least one. In some ways they are like "variants" IMO, they change up how minions spawn, or location based objectives or get harder. But I still haven't seen some of the "end of story" stuff, I don't know how it all ends and I eagerly look forward to "getting to the last mission". I also don't quite know what new "cards" unlock in some of the other missions so I'm an eager beaver here. The game however is quite solid without any additional cards IMO.

For the record, those 15 or so plays got progressively more enjoyable (i definitely played some early versions of MvM where I was less sure it was "fun" rather than just "interesting"). I'm looking forward to the day I can purchase my own copy and sit down and just play it rather than have to go through an end game debrief and analysis session (Rick and Chris were pretty relentless at dragging opinions out of playtesters ).

It's also going to be very very easy for folks to construct their own scenarios given the ruleset though balancing them may be hard at times (IMO)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
So you're pretty much playing with the "full game" right out of the gate. The new rules that get unlocked are usually terrain that hasn't been seen previously, or a new objective that the players haven't dealt with yet, or some new scenario-specific enemy behavior.

So any given scenario has the "full game" for that scenario. But sometimes you won't have a map with a "bomb" objective, sometimes you won't have a map with spikes.

But Mission 1 uses the full rules, just not every rule is relevant, so we only introduce the ones that are.

Thanks. That was not my impression after listening to a couple podcasts. It seemed like major rules were introduced in later scenarios, not just scenario tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.