Subject: Timing of Resource Gathering plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rulebook, the sample round walkthrough, multiple thread posts, and FAQ answers and I'm still not certain how exactly the Resource Gathering phase works.

I'm confused if it works this way:

- The player must assign and declare all mercenaries and tools for the Draw, Hunt, and Dig actions simultaneously and then declare their final configuration

- The Special Action window opens and all Special Actions are resolved

- The player can now take back all their cards and reveal a new configuration

- There is another Special Action window

- This process continues until there are no more Special Actions played

- The Draw, Hunt, and Dig actions are resolved in any order

- A Hire or Trash action can be performed before or after these three actions

Or does it work this way:

- The player declares one action, be it a Draw, Dig, Hunt, Hire, or Trash, and reveals their configuration of mercenaries and tools used to perform it

- Special Action window

- Resolve Special Action window and take cards back into hand, reveal new action with new configuration

- Repeat until no more Special Actions played

- Resolve that one action

- The player can now declare another action different from one they have already resolved

- Special Action window as before

- Repeat until the player has no more actions

So, are actions in the Resource Gathering phase one at a time, or all together?

This makes a difference with the Draw action. That is, can I draw during the Resource Gathering phase and use the new card(s) for a Dig or Hunt action, or am I limited to using those new card(s) for the Hire, Trash, skirmish phase, or future Special Actions against my opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Romano
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main rule you are missing is that once you play a card, it can no longer be used for any other action during that round. Any card that is not played can be brought to the skirmish. It is not unusual to only do one or two actions per round and bring the rest of your cards to the skirmish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Code Red
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
somaluna wrote:

This makes a difference with the Draw action. That is, can I draw during the Resource Gathering phase and use the new card(s) for a Dig or Hunt action, or am I limited to using those new card(s) for the Hire, Trash, skirmish phase, or future Special Actions against my opponents?

My understanding is that the actions are done one at a time. In this case, you could use a drawn card for other actions such as Dig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CTP_9 wrote:
somaluna wrote:

My understanding is that the actions are done one at a time. In this case, you could use a drawn card for other actions such as Dig.

That's my understanding as well.

The Draw action wouldn't make sense otherwise. It would be very underpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fullynice wrote:
I think the main rule you are missing is that once you play a card, it can no longer be used for any other action during that round.

Yeah got that - I was just wanting to know mechanically how actions are resolved during the Resource phase.

hist wrote:
The Draw action wouldn't make sense otherwise. It would be very underpowered.

I would certainly prefer that as well.
Otherwise it would only help you to draw more cards to bring into the skirmish, but they could only be used during the skirmish.

The reason I was asking is because in the rulebook under "Sample Round Walkthrough" Carol performs a dig action and also a hunt action. She plays both the scavenger for the dig, and the refugee with a spear for the hunt at the same time, and then her actions are resolved one after the other.
This threw me off a little so I thought I'd ask what the other players thought.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.