12 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1st move for worker (Automa) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Trying to understand the 1st move of a worker for the automa player. I interpret the rules as the left worker would stay where it is, as thats the hex adj to most of it's own units (2) .(they can count the hex they currently occupy) is that correct? hope this digram makes sense. thanks

B = Character on base
WL = leftmost worker
WR = rightmost worker
H = empty hex.
r = river
ignore the dots

....r B r
r WL WR r
....r H r
......r

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you did it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Great, thanks for that, I saw a solo video run-through, and it showed the worker moving to the empty hex which confused me, thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the empty hex (H) is the one the worker moves to.

When you determine the target hex, you first pick up the unit and only then count which hexes are in the neighborhood of most units. Thus the unit itself does not count since you have picked it up. Units on the home base are not included in the count (because they don't have neighborhoods) so potential hexes are the ones where the worker was originally and then the empty hex (H) since both are in the neighborhood of 1 worker (WR).

If the orientation of your diagram is accurate, then Factory is to the south of these hexes, so the tiebreaker "Closest to Factory" would apply and the worker is placed on the southernmost hex (H).

EDIT: clarifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Trying to understand the 1st move of a worker for the automa player. I interpret the rules as the left worker would stay where it is, as thats the hex adj to most of it's own units (2) .(they can count the hex they currently occupy) is that correct? hope this digram makes sense. thanks

B = Character on base
WL = leftmost worker
WR = rightmost worker
H = empty hex.
r = river
ignore the dots

....r B r
r WL WR r
....r H r
......r

That's not correct, both spaces on your starting peninsula are valid hexes as the units on your base do not have neighbourhoods. So it would pick the one closest to the factory first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Great, thanks for that, I saw a solo video run-through, and it showed the worker moving to the empty hex which confused me, thank you

That would be the correct move!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Yes, you did it correctly.

Unfortunately it was not correct. As the other posters have pointed out, the original (moving) unit and the base do not count towards the "in the neighborhood of the most Automa units" count, so the tie breaker of closest to the factory would kick in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:

When you determine the target hex, you first pick up the unit and only then count which hexes are in the neighborhood of most units. Thus the unit itself does not count since you have picked it up. Units on the home base are not included in the count (because they don't have neighborhoods) so potential hexes are the ones where the worker was originally and then the empty hex (H) since both are in the neighborhood of 1 worker (WR).

If the orientation of your diagram is accurate, then Factory is to the south of these hexes, so the tiebreaker "Closest to Factory" would apply and the worker is placed on the southernmost hex (H).

This is the correct move!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ah, so because the base isn't counted then the (H) hex is the valid hex? I was counting the base as a neighborhood hex.
So if the (B) in the example was a normal hex (not the base) then would the worker stay where it was?
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Ah, so because the base isn't counted then the (H) hex is the valid hex? I was counting the base as a neighborhood hex.
So if the (B) in the example was a normal hex (not the base) then would the worker stay where it was?
Thank you.

Yeah, if the base was a regular hex the worker would stay where it was. In that case target hexes would be (B) and the hex the worker is currently in (as both are in the neighborhood of two units, assuming the unit on (B) is still the Character), and because the hex the worker is currently in is closer to the Factory, it would win the tie-break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:

In case you want official confirmation, then Simo's reply above is spot on .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:
Stevieram wrote:
Thank you.

Yeah, if the base was a regular hex the worker would stay where it was. In that case target hexes would be (B) and the hex the worker is currently in (as both are in the neighborhood of two units, assuming the unit on (B) is still the Character), and because the hex the worker is currently in is closer to the Factory, it would win the tie-break.

You're spot on again .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.