12 Posts

Mottainai» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best/Worst cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Augs Augson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
These are my lists for 2 player games. I know it's a bit silly because it depends a lot on the situation but these cards are good because they are useful in many situations. I probably have about 15 hours played time for this game so it's not like I'm an expert. This list is just for fun really.
Here is my list of top 10 cards(IMO):

1: Handkerchief
This card is so insane, even for Mottainai. You might dismiss it at first, but once you have used it you know the power. Just stack helpers and constantly pray. From this you can get ridiculous amounts of backorder points, like 30+pts. This works especially well in 2 player when it's easier to get backorder bonus on more materials. If that doesn't work out you can always string powerful works, namely clay and metal, with the 5+ smiths you have in hand. You can sometimes even win the game by only making this one work. Valve, plz fix.
2: Poem
If you craft the poem early in the game, you will get insane value. Paper is so much easier to craft than even stone so making the poem is easy and so is making more works. With a paper helper covered by the poem you can make works and sell materials(Covered by the work) on the same turn.
3: Bench
Doubling the points from your stone works is pretty valuable. You only need another stone work for this card to already give you +4 points. That may not sound like much, but it's not the amount of points that is impressive, it's the fact that that is +4 instant points, very effective for an early win. It may well give you more over the course of the game, which makes it relavent in the late game. Compare that to the tapestry that can only give +4 points max.
4: Chopsticks
This card could be higher up, but the problem is that it's pretty hard to make metal. But once you get this card down, your sales will flood. You are going to get so many points from this 1 card.
5:Scroll
Another effective rush card. But this time it's less relavent in the late game. Still this card can make your paper rush viable. If you have the scroll, your paper rush is pretty hard to counter.
6: Amulet
This card is pretty valuable, because it allows you to get more sales without having to play a clerk. If you are in a close situation this card can save you by threatening backorders, while still keeping you doing something useful.
7: Mask
So good it had to be nerfed. But I would still consider the nerfed form to be pretty good. It can really stop the other player's draw, which in turn limits their options.
8: Teapot
Similar to the haniwa, but I think getting materials is easier than getting helpers, due to cards like the statue, bowl, and kite. This card can net some serious points.
9: Pillar
In conjunction with other cards like the chopsticks, this card is very good. You can sell so many materials without having to cover them, and since covering works is actually pretty hard, I would say that is a pretty big effect.
10: Cup
Not really that much of a good card, but it's leads to some pretty funny cheeses. Not valuable in terms of winning the game(In most cases), just valuable comedy.

No the turtle isn't in here, it's way too situational for it to work. So far I have never pulled it off or even come close to.
Honarable mentions:Quilt and Haniwa.

Here is my list of 10 worst cards(number 1 is the worst):

10: Brick
It's only on this list because this ranking is for 2-player games. I imagine it wouldn't be bad in 2+ player games.
9: Deck of cards
If you make this from a smith task you can get your money's worth because you instantly draw a card. Mostly you are going to make this card because your opponent played a smith and you had nothing else to put. Really this card is a last resort.
8: Puppet
It's a pretty fun card, and it can sometimes be good. But the fact that you lose the work means you can't count on it covering sales unless you don't use it. Now, a card that does nothing isn't exactly good. If you use the effect you pretty much lose an entire turn.
7: Robe
On some occasions this is a good card, if you stacked the hell out of one material type. But most of the time you won't want to sell more than 1 material, I haven't found any use of this.
6: Plane
Incredibly situational, in most cases you won't want to move works over. And if you do, you'll have to have a potter, then collect a material. It's probably not worth going out of your way to trigger this card.
5: Ring
Never going to happen. You have to sell a material then still be two sales behind, while also having made this. Even if you do pull it off, it's still not that good.
4: Gong
Do you want incredibly slow draw? Well this is the card for you! Seriously though, with the resources put into this, you might as well just pray.
3: Tablet
A one time use to restock the floor is really useless. How many times will you want a stone and a metal.
2: Bell()
This card can harm you, selling random things isn't a good idea, because it might not ever be covered or even mess up what is already covered. You are better off selling
1: Sketch
A card text so bad that the art work is more valuable. If you use this card, you are losing one of your helpers which is bad.

I know you guys will disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
By no means do I have a lot of experience, but Shuriken has been a power card in every 2P game I've played. It resulted in a 19-point swing last time I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Augs wrote:
A one time use to restock the floor is really useless. How many times will you want a stone and a metal.

Tablet will always have a place in my heart because it's central to my absolute favorite game of Mottainai ever.

For whatever reason we'd seen a lot of metal on the floor in the early game. I think we all had at least two metal helpers, probably some metal in craft benches, etc. Despite this we'd gotten off to a slow start with works: Mike Fitzgerald and I had zero and Scott Russell had a single paper, and none of us had any sales at all. So Mike thinks for a minute, looks at his hand, and completes the Tablet. The deck, I will note, was still about half full. Mike starts turning over cards from the deck one at a time and gets a stone on the second or third draw... and keeps turning, looking for a metal, until the deck runs out.

Final scores: 2-1-0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
Augs wrote:

Tablet will always have a place in my heart because it's central to my absolute favorite game of Mottainai ever.

For whatever reason we'd seen a lot of metal on the floor in the early game. I think we all had at least two metal helpers, probably some metal in craft benches, etc. Despite this we'd gotten off to a slow start with works: Mike Fitzgerald and I had zero and Scott had a single paper, and none of us had any sales at all. So Mike thinks for a minute, looks at his hand, and completes the Tablet. The deck, I will note, was still about half full. Mike starts turning over cards from the deck one at a time and gets a stone on the second or third draw... and keeps turning, looking for a metal, until the deck runs out.

Final scores: 2-1-0.

That's pretty awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kaplounenko
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
I now have full access to your systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
By no means do I have a lot of experience, but Shuriken has been a power card in every 2P game I've played. It resulted in a 19-point swing last time I played.

Shuriken is a situational card that randomly throws the game to the player currently losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
My favorite card is Kite. It is great to put cards in your own Craft Bench. In fact Kite and Crane make the Turtle very possible!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
... brilliant, Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikefitz wrote:
My favorite card is Kite. It is great to put cards in your own Craft Bench. In fact Kite and Crane make the Turtle very possible!!!

My opponent had built a turtle, and was working toward winning that way. I was one card short of building a kite, which I would have used to copy his turtle which would have given me the instant win. It was going to be so awesome. He won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
megawidget wrote:
ousgg wrote:

Shuriken is a situational card that randomly throws the game to the player currently losing.

And you're saying that like it's a WEAK effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Augs Augson wrote:
1: Handkerchief
This card is so insane, even for Mottainai. You might dismiss it at first, but once you have used it you know the power. Just stack helpers and constantly pray. From this you can get ridiculous amounts of backorder points, like 30+pts. This works especially well in 2 player when it's easier to get backorder bonus on more materials. If that doesn't work out you can always string powerful works, namely clay and metal, with the 5+ smiths you have in hand. You can sometimes even win the game by only making this one work. Valve, plz fix.

I find it quite difficult to get the full benefit from the Handkerchief. If you can get it down early, fair enough. But you also need to get some sales down to get the back order benefits and get lots of helpers to build up your actions you can take (in order to draw lots of cards). All amounts to quite a long time to build up.
Augs Augson wrote:
3: Bench
Doubling the points from your stone works is pretty valuable. You only need another stone work for this card to already give you +4 points. That may not sound like much, but it's not the amount of points that is impressive, it's the fact that that is +4 instant points, very effective for an early win. It may well give you more over the course of the game, which makes it relavent in the late game. Compare that to the tapestry that can only give +4 points max.

Don't you mean the Tapestry gives you a max of +5? (as it applies to itself too). Also your comparison to the bench is not very fair.

On it's own the Bench gives you 4 points (2+2). The Tapestry on its own gives you 3 points (2+1). Ones less, true, but it's benefits are more easily reaped because it's bonus applies to works of any type (although admittedly only to works in the same wing, unlike the bench that applies to both). Still, I think the Tapestry's a great card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augs Augson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fried Egg wrote:
I find it quite difficult to get the full benefit from the Handkerchief. If you can get it down early, fair enough. But you also need to get some sales down to get the back order benefits and get lots of helpers to build up your actions you can take (in order to draw lots of cards). All amounts to quite a long time to build up.

In most games you will end up with a few helpers and sales. It's the fact that you can win the game with just one work that made me put this at the top of the list.

Fried Egg wrote:
Don't you mean the Tapestry gives you a max of +5? (as it applies to itself too). Also your comparison to the bench is not very fair.

On it's own the Bench gives you 4 points (2+2). The Tapestry on its own gives you 3 points (2+1). Ones less, true, but it's benefits are more easily reaped because it's bonus applies to works of any type (although admittedly only to works in the same wing, unlike the bench that applies to both). Still, I think the Tapestry's a great card.

Yes it was +5 my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kaplounenko
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
I now have full access to your systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
megawidget wrote:
ousgg wrote:

And you're saying that like it's a WEAK effect?

No, I'm saying it's a broken, badly designed card. If you're losing, but are lucky enough to have drawn it and the metal you need to build it, you win.
It's not a reliable effect though, so it doesn't make it a "great" card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.