$15.00
$5.00
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've noticed the discourse has been getting worse and worse as we grow closer to the election.

Is that just a coincidence and/or is it only my perception (but not really any worse)?

And, FYI, this has little to do with the current issue discussed "Moderating RSP" as that's just one data point.

What I'm referring to is my perception that:
1) Posts are less likely to stay on topic of the OP (and they derail much faster)
2) Personal/Group insults are hurled much faster
3) Even when some discussions do start, they seem to have less data behind them (but that often doesn't matter since the derailment is not far off)

Basically, RSP feels like a propaganda forum more than a discussion lately - few facts with lots of insults and opinion written as if it were facts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You sound like a Clinton-licker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'm thinking it's hiatus time until the day after the election. Then I'll come back to gloat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Yes I'm thinking it's hiatus time until the day after the election. Then I'll come back to gloat.

After having this in the back of my mind for a couple weeks, I had starting to come to this conclusion as well (without the gloating).

It seems that the time vs benefit has gotten bad enough to be near the tipping point. (too much garbage and/or repeated conjectures to sift through to get any real information/logic/discussion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes every time!! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
I've noticed the discourse has been getting worse and worse as we grow closer to the election.

The Finest™ gonna do what The Finest™ gonna do, the rest just have to laugh and stick a thumb in their eyes when the opportunity presents itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
damiangerous wrote:
You sound like a Clinton-licker.

Fucking Trump blower!!!

(you mean like that?)

Just from casual reading over the last year, it appears that RSP starting getting testy in November 2008. Wonder what happened then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Just from casual reading over the last year, it appears that RSP starting getting testy in November 2008. Wonder what happened then?

RSP was created in Sept 2007. One of the first real threads was about the 2008 candidates. Basically it's always been this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought the gay marriage and abortion eras were much much worse. And I mostly stay out of the Atheists are the Bomb threads because the hating in there is very strong. But the longest running controversy, dating to the inception of RSP, is the AGW issue. The name calling and hatred is just epic.

All this is appealing to me. But I still take breaks from time to time... I need to scour the net for new ways to call people fucktards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The added competition tends to bring out the worst in people generally.

I myself have not been hanging around as much because I am just getting bored of having the exact same conversation 500 times. If you look at every election related thread which is about 50 billion of them then you will see the exact same points being stated by the exact same people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
The added competition tends to bring out the worst in people generally.

I myself have not been hanging around as much because I am just getting bored of having the exact same conversation 500 times. If you look at every election related thread which is about 50 billion of them then you will see the exact same points being stated by the exact same people.

That is 100% my issue.

It is just tedious, uninteresting, and pointless when it goes that direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

RSP was created in Sept 2007. One of the first real threads was about the 2008 candidates. Basically it's always been this way.

I went back and checked to see when my first post in RSP was. It was January 26, 2007.

So unless they retroactively added some threads then I think it started earlier than Sept 2007.

Wow I can't believe I've been posting for that long in RSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
DWTripp wrote:
I thought the gay marriage and abortion eras were much much worse. And I mostly stay out of the Atheists are the Bomb threads because the hating in there is very strong. But the longest running controversy, dating to the inception of RSP, is the AGW issue. The name calling and hatred is just epic.

All this is appealing to me. But I still take breaks from time to time... I need to scour the net for new ways to call people fucktards.

Agree.

However, I live in Oklahoma. Calling people fucktards is pretty much just an accurate description and not an insult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any causation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

I went back and checked to see when my first post in RSP was. It was January 26, 2007.

So unless they retroactively added some threads then I think it started earlier than Sept 2007.

Your post must have been in a thread moved from elsewhere. You can simply go to the last page of the thread list (there are currently 368 pages) and see the oldest posts. There's one from Chapel about being the first post and it's from Sep 9, 2007. The other posts from around that date are pretty obviously new forum sort of posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Your post must have been in a thread moved from elsewhere. You can simply go to the last page of the thread list (there are currently 368 pages) and see the oldest posts. There's one from Chapel about being the first post and it's from Sep 9, 2007. The other posts from around that date are pretty obviously new forum sort of posts.

Yes I think you are correct. I think my first posts in the forum were in September of 2008

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Election time is the Best time for RSP! It's when we all come together in the most positive ways because we love our country!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.