Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens to SW when eliminated for FTR? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Funkyfresh Cecil Swadling
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've looked in several likely places in the RB, but can't find it mentioned explicitly:

If I have a unit who is broken but still carrying, say, a 1PP SW, and he can't find a rout path that prevents him from being eliminated for FTR, and doesn't surrender (suppose he's a Gurkha), he gets eliminated. What happens to his SW? Does it drop on the ground to be recovered later, or is it eliminated too?

And, most importantly for whoever can answer this question... where is the rule written?! Where did I forget to look?

I found all kinds of mentions of what happens to SW when surrendering, routing, being run over by a tank, being captured, being killed in CC, etc. but not FTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Ashburnham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funkyfreshcecil wrote:
I've looked in several likely places in the RB, but can't find it mentioned explicitly:

If I have a unit who is broken but still carrying, say, a 1PP SW, and he can't find a rout path that prevents him from being eliminated for FTR, and doesn't surrender (suppose he's a Gurkha), he gets eliminated. What happens to his SW? Does it drop on the ground to be recovered later, or is it eliminated too?

And, most importantly for whoever can answer this question... where is the rule written?! Where did I forget to look?

I found all kinds of mentions of what happens to SW when surrendering, routing, being run over by a tank, being captured, being killed in CC, etc. but not FTR.

it drops where the possessing unit stands - A20.21 ....after first abandoning all its SW....

and A10.4 ....A broken unit may not portage anything in excess of its IPC, and prior to rout must abandon any items in excess of its IPC in its current Location-but must rout with any SW ≤ its IPC limits if it possessed such items when it broke.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
As the rule doesn't say that the SW is eliminated if its possessing unit is eliminated, it isn't.
It is simply unpossessed, as it would be in the case of any MC leading to the elimination of its possessing unit.
A4.43 doesn't directly speak of those cases, but is a good guideline to how things work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the quick answer ctewks. I'm finally in front of my RB so I've looked up the rules you quoted.

I'm not sure either of those rules apply to my case:

A20.21 only refers to surrendering units. In my example, these are Gurkhas, who don't surrender using the RtPh method (Gurkhas, A25.43: "...will not surrender via the RtPh method 20.21..." )

A10.4 also wouldn't apply -- the unit has enough IPC to carry the 1PP SW, so it maintains possession once it's broken. It would rout caryying the weapon, if it could

so, I'm still fishing for the rule(s) that apply to the FTR case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Found the exact rule!

A4.431 Transfer (of all places)

"...When a Personnel unit drops possession (4.43), is eliminated/surrenders, or routs and cannot carry away its SW, its SW/Gun is left unattended in the same location..."

Thanks for pointing me 4.43wards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangely, I couldn't find the exact rule - after past thirty years of playing ASL, I "knew" what was the correct answer, without being able to point out the precise sentence...
That is the problem of the rulebook : it isn't pedagogical and is designed as a sort of "thesaurus" which is hard to master (the SK rules are more easy to read, as they are written in a conversational style - but can be hard to search too, but because rule points are less organised in numbered paragraphs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.