Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michi Dee
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have been looking at Phil Eklund games for some time now and the wish to own one has grown on me
I was wondering which of the available games would be a good starting place and good in solo mode, so I could play and get the rules down before introducing the game to my group? I love sandbox games like the Splotter titles (FCM for example) and economic games like some of the Wallace games (e.g. Brass). Can someone give me a recommendation based on this info? I think I can find PaxPor, PaxPan, PaxRen, Bios and maybe High Frontier in stores right now or soon, PaxPan and PaxRen being the cheapest.

Thanks a lot,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having played PaxRen and Bios (new version), I would go for Pax Porfiriana, mainly because it has good playthrough and instructional videos out there, so you don't need to even read the rules imo. It is also comparatively simple to play once you grok it, and a cracker of a game.

EDIT: Also, buy whatever you find because they are all out of stock at Phil's, except PaxPorf and the new 2016 crop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also agree that PaxPo is a great way to start. Bios:Genesis has probably one of the best rulebooks and should be hitting stores at the end of next month.

A close second would be Neanderthal. The Single Tribe solitaire variant is excellent and a great way to learn the game inside and out. It's out of print, but you can still find copies floating about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaxRen does not have a solo option as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for PaxPo. I'm not a big solo gamer, but this is one that even I've enjoyed solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Porfiriana.

Especially as there are now 2 very good solo modes.

Having said that, PaxPam solo is still on my to do list.... part of that though is because it looks a little more fiddly to me, but that's possibly unfair.

In general, solo aside, I'd echo what Yani said above - Porfiriana is relatively straightforward (especially with a really excellent instructional video behind you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michi Dee
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

thanks a lot. One think I love about BGG - me being located in Germany - is that you ask a question just before getting to bed, wake up, and have a clearer idea which game you want next in the morning

Thanks again,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I would try and find a copy of American Megafauna. That is my gave solo. Greenland is pretty good too if you don't mind an experience of the world going downhill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Full disclosure, Phil just added my solo variant to the Living Rules making me a little biased, but now there are technically 3 ways to play PaxPo solitaire. Each differ in their approach, and give different experiences, including game length and complexity. Because of this, I would say it's a good place to start.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for PaxPo, though I also enjoy the NEaderthal solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:
Full disclosure, Phil just added my solo variant to the Living Rules making me a little biased, but now there are technically 3 ways to play PaxPo solitaire. Each differ in their approach, and give different experiences, including game length and complexity. Because of this, I would say it's a good place to start.

Thanks,

Colin

Dammit, Phil. Now I need to print the Living Rules again?!?
Can't wait to try out another solo mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want my rules, you can find them in the files section of the game:

The Pax-o-matic - A diceless solitaire variant for Pax Porfiriana

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.