Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes it enhanced?

It requires additional components not included with the game.

Why?

To make a variant that provides a challenge by making smart choices rather than by being given more resources.

(EDIT ADDED 9/30/2016: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1399398/forbidden-stars... A good review to get a better understanding of the basics of the game.)

I have ordered this game and expect it to arrive in the next day or two. I have yet to play it, but have done a good amount of reading of both books that come with the game as well other user generated content. I have also since found out that there have been some that have tinkered with a solo variant, but nothing final has been developed.

As I like to tinker with game mechanics and variants, I am looking forward to trying to develop something for solo play. Whatever I develop, I'd like for it to be thematic, simple, challenging, and to require very little effort to use.

I actually would prefer it if someone else took my starting idea and developed something out of it, saving me the time and energy of having to develop what I'm looking for.

Here is what I have thought of so far:

Based off the name of the game, I'd like to go with an AI that is dependent on the stars. This got me thinking, zodiac, and then of a tarot deck. As I give it plenty of thought, I become more convinced that an AI driven by a tarot deck is indeed the way to go.

So, I did a bit of research and found these two sites:
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor%27s_Tarot
http://www.twilightpeaks.net/blogs/media/blogs/DH/40K_TAROT%...

I also found a bunch of artwork that I like:
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/123/f/4/warhammer...
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/123/c/c/warhammer_40k...
http://pre12.deviantart.net/c676/th/pre/i/2013/123/3/4/warha...
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/123/2/4/warhammer...
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/123/8/5/warhammer_40k...

The artwork doesn't do me much good, but it sure would be sweet if I could order a Warhammer 40k themed tarot deck.

At this point, all I have is a kernel of an idea of where it should all go. There is still a ton of work to be done if something is to be developed from here. It is very possible none of this will work.

As far as using a tarot deck, it might be easier to split a standard tarot deck into both the major and minor arcanas and use them for different parts of the game. The minor arcanas can probably be further broken down with each faction relating to a certain suit.

I want an AI that evolves over the course of the game. Instead of just drawing from the tarot deck, it should evolve over the course of a game. The AI tarot deck should incorporate deck building with tactics cards being added in as the game progresses so certain things are guaranteed to happen with when being the only question.

There will be charts to reference for interpreting the tarot cards so the player knows what the AI is supposed to be doing without any guess work. The variant should be simple with only a handful of different charts to reference rather than a book of charts that will overwhelm the player. It should also be very easy to know which chart the player should look up in which situation. The charts will be color coded so that it is easy to distinguish one chart versus another, just by seeing a small part of it.

I hope I have provided enough information for someone else to develop the solo variant I desire. I'm sure I missed a lot of features that I'm looking forward to. I will be sure to make mention of them as they cross my mind.

If anyone else would like to contribute to this wish list, please feel free to do so. The only stipulation is, don't get angry if someone else should take your idea and run with it.

Added 9/23/16

Strategic considerations:

Chaos: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1394002/rage-unending-world...
Eldar: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1392670/tears-isha-iyanden-...
Space Marines: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1391636/adeptus-astartes-ul...
Orks: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1399451/waaaaagh-evil-sunz-...

New thoughts and ideas:

I'm not against cannibalizing another game for parts in order to make the variant that I so desire. With this thought in mind, Tiny Epic Galaxies looks like it's ripe for the plundering.

I'm mainly interested in the dice, but the other components could be useful track variables. Even the player mat, could prove to be useful, at least until something more custom can be made.

How I envision using the dice so far:

If you take a look at the order tokens, you'll notice there are some similarities between them and the dice, not a whole lot, but a little bit.

I believe the utilize colony icon on the die resembles the deploy order icon; the strategize order icon has an arrow with a zig-zag while the economy icon on the die has an arrow which almost looks identical; the advance order icon has 4 arrows pointed towards a skull which gets me thinking death, whereas the move a ship icon resembles a missle with an arrow pointing up which also could very well equate to death; dominate order icon and the diplomacy die icon show some loose resemblance to one another. This leaves 2 die symbols unaccounted for, the energy symbol (lighting bolt), and the culture symbol (a pillar).
After re-examining the pieces, I have come to the conclusion that that the rockets should be advance, the pillar should be deploy, the star should be dominate, and the energy bolt should strategize. (9/28/16)

I believe the dice can be used to establish weight for the different orders. The more times a corresponding die face comes up, the more weight the corresponding order has thus affecting what strategy the AI will pursue.

The game is 8 rounds. Rolling the dice every round would be more tactical, rolling less and having a script that lasts a certain duration would be more strategic.

Added 9/24/2016

Another game that could possibly be plundered for parts is Ingenious Challenges. This game has tokens in 6 different colors, colored dice that match the tokens, cards with the image from 2 tokens on each card, and a punch board that can track values up to ten in matching colors.

As I'm not trying to make a Frankenstein abomination out of Forbidden Stars, I am just keeping these games in mind as games I can draw from. At this point, I'm still more or less brainstorming and not committed one way or another.

3-2-1

The combat card resolution system is something that I have been giving some thought. I am against drawing 5 cards for the AI, even though that is what a human opponent would do. The reason for this is, as combat lasts more than 1 round, if you look at all 5 cards for the AI when making a choice for the AI, you already know what exactly the AI is capable of.

Added 9/25/16

My solution for the combat card resolution is to have the AI function a bit differently than the human player. Rather than drawing 5 cards in the beginning, the AI should only draw 3 for the first round, followed by 2, and then 1. After the first round, the AI keeps one card for the 2nd round, and after the second round, the AI keeps both remaining cards for the 3rd round. Each round the AI will have 3 cards from which to choose from. In the end, the AI ends up drawing 6 cards and playing 3 whereas the player draws 5 and plays 3. The human definitely has the initial advantage, but by the end, the AI should have the advantage.

This will need to be play tested for sure, but I believe by breaking down the different rounds of combat this way, uncertainty by the human player is maintained and combat should remain interesting.

On a different note, it should noted that the dice provided in the game (all 16) have 3 sides with a bolter, 2 sides with a shield, and 1 side with a moral icon. These dice can be a good source for randomness as well and should be accounted for and used whenever possible rather than some outside component.

At least 9 variables will be needed to be tracked per player including the AI controlled players to track units and structures that are built. D10s are nice because they can be set to 0. At the same time they aren't because they roll quite easily. Having a central location for keeping total while will take time to maintain in the long term it should save time and make running the AI go more smoothly and easily. Ultimately, I believe I will go with a bunch of D6s as they can be purchased in groups of 36 for a fair price. I might do building in a different color and or size.

A different counter for cities might be useful as its value is checked upon frequently.

Added 9/27/16

I believe I have a potential partial solution worked out for implementing a solo version of the order system. It's not a complete solution yet as it doesn't provide the location for any of the AI orders, but the timing aspect is accounted for.

Basically my approach calls for the use of additional tokens. Luckily, the tokens that came with Ingenious Challenges are nearly perfect as they come in 6 different colors (126 Total, 21 copies of each of the 6 colors). 24 tokens of a given color will be needed, so 2 copies of Ingenious Challenges would be needed. For those choosing to use coin capsules, empty capsules can be used in place of tokens. They provide the added bonus of being transparent.

I don't recommend anyone attempt to run more than 2 AI controlled opponents as the number of additional tokens becomes too inflated. Even with 2 AI controlled opponents, 36 tokens will be needed for both AI as well as 32 for the player. I actually think even 2 AI opponents will be pushing it and that the AI will be best used in conjunction with a single opponent.

Here is the way it would work. Let us assume that the player is going first and the AI is going 2nd. The player would place his command token where he/she desires and then would place an Ingenious Token that matches their faction color on each command token space that they did not place a command token on. For the AI, the human will place an orange token on every command token location. Next the player would go, then the AI and so on and so on until they both have placed all 4 command tokens on the board. In the end, each space should have a stack of 8 command tokens.

The AI's command tokens will form a stack of its own next to the board. It should be made up of tokens that make sense given the tactical situation at hand. It should be made up of more than 4 tokens (I'm thinking most likely 5 or 6), with only the top 4 being chosen after a shuffle.
(stricken 9/29/16)

A complication that exists is that there is a delay between when the command orders get issued and when they get executed. Being as such, it is possible that what would have been "best" is no longer best and that a new best exists. This new best however will not represent the choice that AI would have most likely made when the best case was available. In other words, the AI will not made mistakes that a human opponent would make; unless it decides things as they were rather than how they are. A way of tracking what happened is necessary in dealing this delay.

The easiest way of resolving this is obviously ignoring the delay and by having the AI just do what is best at the time. This would more or less allow the AI to avoid making mistakes/misjudgements when placing command tokens; however, I believe something essential to the experience gets lost by doing this. The best approach is one that accounts for losses by the different factions. I intend to use D6s matching faction colors to track units that are lost.

When the command tokens are being resolved, all copies in the same "layer" would be removed. In the square where the command token is ultimately resolved, the correct command token for the AI faction would be placed somewhere on the square next to the stack of unresolved command tokens. They would serve as a reminder of what was done where.
If the AI already had an existing token in the square serving as a reminder, it would be removed prior to the next token being added.

As far as which location the command token should resolve at still needs to be developed. It should make sense and it should be an intelligent choice.

Command Token Priorities: If you take a look you will notice that Dominate is almost always present. (O) denotes that it gets extra representation on odd rounds. (E) denotes that it gets extra representation on even rounds.

Chaos:
Dominate
Advance
Deploy
Strategize
(O) Dominate
(O) Advance
(E) Dominate
(E) Deploy
(B) *

Orks:
Advance
Deploy
Dominate
Strategize
(O) Advance
(O) Deploy
(E) Advance
(E) Dominate
(B) *

Space Marines:
Dominate
Deploy
Advance
Strategize
(O) Dominate
(O) Deploy
(E) Dominate
(E) Advance
(B) *

Eldar:
Dominate
Advance
Strategize
Deploy
(O) Dominate
(O) Advance
(E) Dominate
(E) Strategize
(B) *
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solo wish list.
Hi AA,

Great idea that you have here!

Just a suggestion : The best solo AI I've played in a game is probably Gears of War. Perhaps you can look into the AI cards in the game?
Its mostly "If condition A is met, AI will do action Y. If not, do action Z."

For e.g : If enemy AI has 2 units or less on his factory tile/s, use the "Deploy Order" and build up to 2 units of level 0 ships and 2 units of level 0 ground units on different areas if possible. If not, use the "Move Order" and move his units 1 tile closer to the area where you have lesser units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way to create a challenging AI for a game like forbidden stars is to not try and make them act like a player.

Have the AI use a set order pattern like build, strategize, attack in a loop.

When they strategize use preplanned trades up the tree.

When they build have a scripted set of units to build.

When they attack just march them directly towards the nearest objective.

Battles can be done by randomly flopping cards.

Not exciting, but by having them on a scripted economy they could prove a challenge. Otherwise the AI will get really complex fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
The way to create a challenging AI for a game like forbidden stars is to not try and make them act like a player.

Not exciting, but by having them on a scripted economy they could prove a challenge. Otherwise the AI will get really complex fast.

+1

oh, and artwork should be waaaaayyy further behind in your priorities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kazuki85 wrote:
Hi AA,

Great idea that you have here!

Just a suggestion : The best solo AI I've played in a game is probably Gears of War. Perhaps you can look into the AI cards in the game?
Its mostly "If condition A is met, AI will do action Y. If not, do action Z."

For e.g : If enemy AI has 2 units or less on his factory tile/s, use the "Deploy Order" and build up to 2 units of level 0 ships and 2 units of level 0 ground units on different areas if possible. If not, use the "Move Order" and move his units 1 tile closer to the area where you have lesser units.

I also think the solo AI for Gears of War is great. I suppose that is part of the reason, I want an AI that is card driven. I will keep this in mind as I look to move forward.

I suspect a separate AI deck for each of the different factions will need to be developed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:

I think having parts of the AI scripted is a great idea as if you look to develop something or commit to a certain strategy, it will generally take more than 1 turn to make it happen.

My goal is to make an AI that feels different each time you play, but at the same time has tendencies and tends to follow some patterns, though not absolutely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
Dalek5 wrote:

+1

oh, and artwork should be waaaaayyy further behind in your priorities

I am artistically handicapped so believe me when I say this, it is probably the last thing that I will look to integrate into the variant, if at all. I'm hoping that I can help develop something, and that someone with a gift for artwork takes what is developed an makes it appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Listing of Ingenious Challenges cards and their count. The first color is the top color, the 2nd the bottom.

4 Yellow Red
4 Yellow Orange
4 Yellow Green
4 Yellow Blue
4 Yellow Purple

4 Red Orange
4 Red Green
4 Red Blue
4 Red Purple

4 Orange Blue
4 Orange Purple

4 Green Orange
4 Green Purple

4 Blue Green
4 Blue Purple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was posted in another thread. I have yet to test it out, but some of the design ideas sound pretty solid. I copied it over as it is easier to track this way.

hwknight wrote:
This is a rough draft I've made of a solo variant. It took about 30min to draft and as said, it's just a foundation to build on. EVERYTHING WRITTEN HASN'T BEEN TESTED YET.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to play through many games and keep tweaking, so I'd like you folks to give this a go and let me know what you think and how we can improve it.

My goal is to minimise the 'optimal placement' mechanic, where players make decisions for the AI. I believe too much optimal placement robs the player of making short and long-term tactical and strategic decisions.

(6 or 12-side die is required)

SETUP PHASE:
Randomise tiles. Placement of tiles, for AI and player are random.
Unit placements are 'optimal placement'

Divide the AI tokens into two piles, the "Aggressive"(Advance and Dominate tokens) pile and "Defensive" (Strategize and Build tokens) pile. Shuffle each pile at the start of each round.

PLANNING PHASE:
Starting player places 1 token and players take turns, player places as normal and AI places as follows:

AI plays 1 token at a time until a total of 5 tokens are played. AI alternates between random token from "Aggressive" and "Defensive" piles, each turn. Total number of tokens played from each pile differ by race -

Orcs: 4 "aggressive" 1 "defensive"
Chaos: 3 "aggressive" 2 "defensive"
Eldar: 2 "aggressive" 3 "defensive"
Space Marines: 3 "aggressive" 2 "defensive"

So, for a PLANNING PHASE, an orc AI would alternate between a random token from the "aggressive" pile and a random token from the "defensive" pile, on the AI's next turn, until the AI has played a total of 4"aggressive" tokens and 1 "defensive"

*when the amount of allowed "defensive" or "aggressive" tokens are met, the AI only plays tokens from the other pile.

Token placement - when playing an "aggressive" or "defensive" token, determine all the legal tiles where said token may be played, for "aggressive", all the tiles where an Advance and Dominate order would be legal. Role a die and use the number to select, moving clockwise, the tile that the token is to be played.

OPERATIONS PHASE:

Flip tokens as usual, use a die to determine the AI's reveal order.

- If the AI order results in an illegal or 'silly' move, roll a die:
If even, resolve the alternate order e.g if Dominate isn't possible, then Advance. If odd, AI gains 2 material.

AI Order resolution:

Dominate: Probability of extra effect of Dominate order determined by die,
1-4 = yes 5-6 = no

Advance:

- Amount of units advanced, when attacking, the AI's total material value of attacking units shouldn't be less than 1 of the total material value of the defender's units. If it is less than 1, the attack is cancelled and the AI gets 1 material. Otherwise, select as many units from the attack territory (assuming they may attack along a legal path and aren't routed) which have the same or more material value of the defenders, to a maximum exceeding value of 5, to take on the defenders.

*Unless it's a game critical attack (claiming an objective), an AI may not attack an opponent, where they total material value of the attackers units are greater than 5 of the defenders. (this is to ensure that an AI doesn't unnecessarily leave their territory undefended, I'm thinking of allowing the Orks to forego this rule, since their personality is to charge and overwhelm"

- Orbital Bombardments may occur as an alternative to an attack, if the attacker's ships total material is more than 5 of the defender's or 2, or lower, than the defenders. An orbital bombardment may also occur if the're are no defending ships in the tile that the AI attacker is advancing to.

- When advancing to uncontrolled planet or void, select optimal choice for
material or asset advantage and advance 50% of your units,
rounded up, unless they're defending a city, factory or objective.

Strategize:

Roll Die, 1-5 = A Strategize order is bought, 6 = Order isn't bought.

Roll a Die, each roll determines the order upgrade to be bought:

Orks: 1-4 = Combat, 5-6 = Order
Chaos: 1-4 = Combat, 5-6 = Order
Eldar: 1-2 = Combat, 3-6 = Order
Space Marines: 1-3 = Combat, 4-6 = Order

Draw random order upgrade, and place in combat deck or face-up.

*If a scheme is drawn, AI gets 1 random asset at the end of each round as long as a scheme is in possession.

*AI does not discard any combat cards.

Build:

If build order is revealed in a tile where both a unit and a structure can be built, roll die:

U = Unit, S = Ship, B = BuIlding

Orks: 1-4 = U, S = 5, B = 6
Chaos: 1-3 = U, S = 4, B = 6 (5 = reroll)
Eldar: 1-2 = U, S = 3-4, B = 6 (5 = reroll)
Space Marines: 1-2 = U, S = 3-4, 5-6 = B

Select random type of structure, unit or ship to build, after finding
out what is to be built. After paying for the purchase, if material is remaining repeat the roll and make another purchase until material is exhausted.

COMBAT:

Player draws only 3 combat cards, AI draws 10.

AI places 2 random facedown cards per turn.
When combat cards are revealed, of the the 2 cards, player selects the
highest level card to play on behalf of the AI, the other card is discarded. If AI cards are of the same level, select the card which provides the better advantage to the following:

Orcs - Attack
Chaos - Morale
Space Marines - Armour
Eldar - Attack

If no bonuses provided, select optimal.

* the amount of reinforcements used is determined by the attack advance order rule which states that an AI may only attack when the attacking force material value is no less than 1 and no greater than 5 of the defender. Reinforcements count as the material value for the lowest level unit or ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hwknight wrote:
My goal is to minimise the 'optimal placement' mechanic, where players make decisions for the AI. I believe too much optimal placement robs the player of making short and long-term tactical and strategic decisions.

I agree wholeheartedly with this goal. It is one of the reasons I believe so many counters are going to be required. If you have to count things out every time you go to figure something out for the AI, it will slow things down tremendously. It is better to develop a system for tracking things and to maintain the system as you go along than having to recount things over and over again. Having measured variables will also enable a more intelligent AI that can remove the need to perform optimal solution queries on behalf of the AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a new source for a fan made Warhammer 40k Tarot Card set. It would be nice to be able to order a professionally produced copy of the set.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9w0x2826yxz0t7/3-%20Tarot%20Cards...

Download from:
http://roddyhood30.deviantart.com/gallery/

There is also some more information on the WH40K and Tarot, a download link is on the page pointing to a PDF to download. Worth checking out.

http://www.twilightpeaks.net/blogs/index.php/1TP/2013/11/22/...

A copy of the cards are at the end of the PDF as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:

Added 9/27/16

I believe I have a potential partial solution worked out for implementing a solo version of the order system. It's not a complete solution yet as it doesn't provide the location for any of the AI orders, but the timing aspect is accounted for.

Basically my approach calls for the use of additional tokens. Luckily, the tokens that came with Ingenious Challenges are nearly perfect as they come in 6 different colors (126 Total, 21 copies of each of the 6 colors). 24 tokens of a given color will be needed, so 2 copies of Ingenious Challenges would be needed. For those choosing to use coin capsules, empty capsules can be used in place of tokens. They provide the added bonus of being transparent.

I don't recommend anyone attempt to run more than 2 AI controlled opponents as the number of additional tokens becomes too inflated. Even with 2 AI controlled opponents, 36 tokens will be needed for both AI as well as 32 for the player. I actually think even 2 AI opponents will be pushing it and that the AI will be best used in conjunction with a single opponent.

Here is the way it would work. Let us assume that the player is going first and the AI is going 2nd. The player would place his command token where he/she desires and then would place an Ingenious Token that matches their faction color on each command token space that they did not place a command token on. For the AI, the human will place an orange token on every command token location. Next the player would go, then the AI and so on and so on until they both have placed all 4 command tokens on the board. In the end, each space should have a stack of 8 command tokens.

The AI's command tokens will form a stack of its own next to the board. It should be made up of tokens that make sense given the tactical situation at hand. It should be made up of more than 4 tokens (I'm thinking most likely 5 or 6), with only the top 4 being chosen after a shuffle.
(stricken 9/29/16)

The solution above has been optimized to use less components. It should behave just like the solution above, except that it will require less components to run.

Additional Components needed
ORDER DICE (4)

Instead of placing order tokens on the map, place order dice on the map with the pips indicating which order the die was placed. When removing dice from the board, they will be removed in reverse order as will the corresponding order token from the stack. Order must be maintained. Whereas players could perform orders in any order as long as they weren't covered, with the solo variant, players must maintain proper order.

In a stack near the player, the player will form a stack of orders that corresponds to the order dice placed. Before or after a token is added to the stack from the player, appropriately add a token for the AI. If players find it difficult to remember to do the AI step, they can add a token for the AI to aid their memory.

It will be assumed that the AI could have placed their token anywhere at this point. When the AI resolves the order token, where they should have been removed from will be determined at that time.

I believe an RPG dice set in 4 different colors could be perfect for tracking command order tokens. Players could place first the 4 sided die, then an 8, followed by a 12 and then 20. This would allow players to keep their order tokens closer to themselves and reduce the amount that they would need to be handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
I found a new source for a fan made Warhammer 40k Tarot Card set. It would be nice to be able to order a professionally produced copy of the set.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9w0x2826yxz0t7/3-%20Tarot%20Cards...

Download from:
http://roddyhood30.deviantart.com/gallery/

There is also some more information on the WH40K and Tarot, a download link is on the page pointing to a PDF to download. Worth checking out.

http://www.twilightpeaks.net/blogs/index.php/1TP/2013/11/22/...

A copy of the cards are at the end of the PDF as well.

An example of a card is shown below:

If you take a close look at the picture of the card you'll see that this card has 6 keywords below the picture. You will also notice that the card is "Champion". Champion is the equivalent of Queens for a normal deck of playing cards and numerically should represent the number 12.

My idea is to use each suit to correspond with a particular command order and the number of the card as an index on what keyword on the card to look up. In this case the number 12 would reference the keyword "Chaos" on the card.

Example: Let us say that the AI flipped over an "Advance" command order. They would then draw from the "Discordia" stack of cards. Let us assume that they flipped over a card from this stack and it was the champion card as described above. Then they would resolve the command order as if it were "Chaos". They would look up the keyword "chaos" on a chart and find that the AI wants to advance units from their home tile towards the front line. The fact that it hit cycle through the keywords can also be used as a trigger to cause a particular effect to trigger. Perhaps in this example, they will advance far enough to attack if able rather than to just shore up defenses.

The above example is an example of where I'd like to head with the cards and the AI. Nothing has been developed so far. There is still a ton of work to be done. This is merely an example, I thought of to illustrate how the cards can potentially be used.

Edit 9/30/2016
: While I do plan on ultimately making a custom deck of tarot cards or some other AI cards for this game, it is my intent to make a version that is playable with any standard tarot deck.

It has crossed my mind that the round number can also factor into determining what happens. This can help to further randomize things so no two games play the same.

There should be some trigger from each faction that goes into factoring how the cards behave so that the AI performs differently for each faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial Analysis and Strategy Development.

When laying down the boards, and figuring out a long term strategy, the AI will want to have access to all the different types of resources, whether it taps into it early or not. Thus when laying down the tiles and making the board, the AI will want to place the tiles in such a way that the variety of resources in need are closer to their home tile.

The secondary goal of when placing their tiles will be to be either to be as close to the opponent and objectives as possible or further away. In other words, are they aiming to mix things up ASAP or are they looking for time to develop. My guess at this point is that in general the Eldar will want time to develop while the Orks will want to press the matter sooner rather than later. Either way, all the factions should be flexible enough to do either.

Other than the primary goal of having key resources as close as possible, I believe a random setup should be fine as far as board go. The opponent's mission objectives should be placed as far from the opponent as possible with as many forces between the objective and the opponent.

Initial Forces

Chaos

2 Cultists
2 Chaos Space Marines
1 Iconoclast Destroyer
1 Factory
6 Materiel

Eldar

3 Aspect Warriors
1 Wraitguard
2 Hellebore Frigates
1 Factory
6 Materiel

Orks

4 Ork Boys
1 Nob
1 Factory
1 Reinforcement Token
6 Materiel

Space Marines

4 Scouts
1 Space Marine
1 Strike Cruiser
1 Factory
6 Materiel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.