Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
For all those who think you don't have enough control in some wargames:

Mmmmmm... cheese sandwich.

I didn't discover this. It was posted today on Reddit, here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/53s2gt/realities_of_w...

A little insight from the comment section:

Quote:
One funny bit about this that you probably won't catch is the "Driver advance over the A set" part.

Tanks have intercoms for talking to the crew, and the commander has access to one or more radios. You have a "Press to Talk" (PTT) switch on your headset cable that goes in 2 directions - one way for intercom, the other way for radio. Another switch, usually on the wall of the turret, determines which radio the "RAD" switch transmits on ("A Set" - usually squadron frequency, or "B Set" - usually Regiment or sometimes Brigade)

So if he is telling the driver to advance over the A set, it means he pushed the PTT the wrong way and sent the command to his driver to the entire squadron. And because the driver can't hear the radio, he's doing whatever he wants (like most dirt squirrels).

Every crew commander has done this at least once, and we all have funny stories about remarks meant for the crew going out over the air.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice stuff.

"Cheese Sandwich" will be a random event card in my next Memoir '44 scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:

A lot of wargamers don't give a fig if the game is realistic or not. soblue They play wargames primarily for the feeling of control they get over their cardboard men. Realistic command and control isn't an objective. cry

The last time I tried to defend realism, I got a reply that was basically "Look, kid, I spend most of my waking hours at work or with family when I hardly control anything, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend my precious free time on anything where I'm not in control."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
[..]The last time I tried to defend realism, I got a reply that was basically "Look, kid, I spend most of my waking hours at work or with family when I hardly control anything, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend my precious free time on anything where I'm not in control."
What am I doing? He's right! I never thought of it that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good job those Grant tanks had plenty of crew room to accommodate a sandwich loader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Scott
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myrmex wrote:
It's a good job those Grant tanks had plenty of crew room to accommodate a sandwich loader.

Many early WW2 tanks didn't have a dedicated loader position, and thus their Rate of Sandwich was severely limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Kozure wrote:

A lot of wargamers don't give a fig if the game is realistic or not. soblue They play wargames primarily for the feeling of control they get over their cardboard men. Realistic command and control isn't an objective. cry

The last time I tried to defend realism, I got a reply that was basically "Look, kid, I spend most of my waking hours at work or with family when I hardly control anything, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend my precious free time on anything where I'm not in control."

You know, just recently, maybe in the last two weeks, someone pointed that out in another forum - that for some wargamers, the sense of order and control that they get from having complete C3i over a situation helps them feel better about themselves/their day. It never occurred to me to think that way but it makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as colorful a story, but another humorous armor quote:

Probably due to the lack of a sandwich loader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
The real reasons behind the failure of the Panzer Corps was their inability to address the glaringly obvious sandwich gap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
The real reasons behind the failure of the Panzer Corps was their inability to address the glaringly obvious sandwich gap.

They could not cope with the Allies ability to mass produce vegemite sandwiches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brown
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inquiring minds need to know if that cheese sandwich was Stilton or Cheddar? I think the load rate is higher for Cheddar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
You know, just recently, maybe in the last two weeks, someone pointed that out in another forum - that for some wargamers, the sense of order and control that they get from having complete C3i over a situation helps them feel better about themselves/their day. It never occurred to me to think that way but it makes sense.

But...that has nothing to do with wargames. In war, 75% of what happens is out of the control of the commander.

"War is the province of uncertainty: three-fourths of those things upon which action in war must be calculated, are hidden more or less in the clouds of great uncertainty."
-- C. VON CLAUSEWITZ, On War

This 100% control over everything has certainly nothing to do with wargames, or to use their proper name: conflict simulations. It is the job of the wargame designer to come up with realistic command and control systems. Without C&C systems...it's not a wargame.

I get the idea this "control gamer" type would be much happier in the Eurogame crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In ASL, you will note on the reverse of vehicles there is a CS# (the vehicle in lower left of the picture below has a Cheese Sandwich rating of 2, which probably explains its demise). ASL is the only game to take the Cheese Sandwich into account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Kozure wrote:

But...that has nothing to do with wargames. In war, 75% of what happens is out of the control of the commander.

"War is the province of uncertainty: three-fourths of those things upon which action in war must be calculated, are hidden more or less in the clouds of great uncertainty."

This 100% control over everything has certainly nothing to do with wargames, or to use their proper name: conflict simulations. It is the job of the wargame designer to come up with realistic command and control systems. Without C&C systems...it's not a wargame.

I get the idea this "control gamer" type would be much happier in the Eurogame crowd.

100% agree... but having this insight has helped me to understand why some wargamers are so adverse to lack of control over their little cardboard minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like the difference between enjoying a movie or enjoying the process of getting all of your friends, acquaintances, and family members to the theater to watch it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Kozure wrote:

I'm with you. If this is an important factor for a player -- and there's nothing wrong with it being so -- they are really playing the wrong genre of game. There are some really terrific euro games that scratch that itch for me, but I want my wargames to resemble war at least superficially and sone degree of chaos and lack of control seems fundamental to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides running, sweeping, saluting it if it moves and painting it if it doesn't, handing out cheese sandwiches was pretty much the most important thing you had to do when conscript service was mandatory on my country. How foolish of me, I never appreciate the value in real combat that skill could provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
jumbit wrote:

I'm with you. If this is an important factor for a player -- and there's nothing wrong with it being so -- they are really playing the wrong genre of game. There are some really terrific euro games that scratch that itch for me, but I want my wargames to resemble war at least superficially and sone degree of chaos and lack of control seems fundamental to that.

We certainly have evidence of grognards who are vehemently anti-eurogame...even while they want these levels of control and tournament competition in their wargames. It doesn't make logical sense to me, either, but I guess it has a chronological origin--way back when wargames WERE the example of games of complex strategy (or at least complex rules).

I've just been playing some wargames where even movement has a random factor, not just combat resolution. Why not? Makes sense to me (when done right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
I've just been playing some wargames where even movement has a random factor, not just combat resolution. Why not? Makes sense to me (when done right).

Balkoski's Great Campaigns series does this (die rolling for movement points), and at the Corps level it does feel right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Depends
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spend a lot of time playing WITPAE and you can spot those players a mile off. They're the ones complaining that their aircraft, taskforces or troops don't do what they wanted them to do. This game is bugged and/or biased towards one side or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit wrote:

and yet, interestingly enough, Combat Commander,which flies totally against the face of precise command and Control - but is probably the most "eurogame" wargame out there. It does not, however, include cheese sandwiches. Though they could easily be added as a scenario special rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
ilmatyynyalukseni on täynnä ankeriaita
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander wrote:
jumbit wrote:

and yet, interestingly enough, Combat Commander,which flies totally against the face of precise command and Control - but is probably the most "eurogame" wargame out there. It does not, however, include cheese sandwiches. Though they could easily be added as a scenario special rule.

just as tanks can be added?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
they were added as a special rule in Scenario 11: Hold the Line, and also appear (off board) in other scenarios by special rule like 18: Bridge Hunt. And an entire Battle Pack featured AFV rules featured in the blitzkrieg end of the war.

Still no sign of cheese butties though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.