Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lindberg
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
We got into a situation today where the blue 4 we needed was on the bottom of the deck. With two players we can't pick up and play the 4 and the 5 before running out of turns. We thought about instituting a house rule where you can blindly play the top card off the draw pile if you're in a desperate enough situation.

We also have had the situation in a 2p game where one person accumulates a full hand of cards that can't be discarded (5's or other cards that already had been burned). I'm thinking here it might make sense to allow the person to blindly discard the top card of the draw pile.

Blindly doing either is risky and wouldn't be done often. But I like those options for the cases where the game paints you into a corner. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is that the game didn't paint you into a corner, you painted yourself into a corner by discarding the other blue 4 (or whatever card you can't discard in your other scenario).

That being said, I like the idea of the variant, but think it needs a penalty to go with it also...maybe taking a fuse counter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
My first thought is that the game didn't paint you into a corner, you painted yourself into a corner by discarding the other blue 4 (or whatever card you can't discard in your other scenario).

That being said, I like the idea of the variant, but think it needs a penalty to go with it also...maybe taking a fuse counter?
While it can often be good to save 2s and 3s, it is very likely that this 4 was discarded at a time when it was not worth saving at all.

However, I’d like to try the following variant:
At any time, you may pay 1 clue token to put one card from your hand under the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fox

Michigan
msg tools
mb
We have tried two variants to avoid this issue. In the first, everyone gets to see the bottom card of the deck, so we all know which card is the "extra five". In the second, we shuffle all the 1's and 5's together and randomly select one to go on the bottom of the deck after the shuffle. This way, the bottom card can't ruin our chance of a perfect game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of the "Grand Finale" variant 2 player, where you have to build all of the piles to 5 to win. Playing that way, we just allow you keep taking turns after the deck runs out. It is still quite challenging!

We also added a 'cycle' option. As your turn, you can shuffle (without looking at) any number of your cards into the deck and redraw. However, the price of doing so is that you must flip one of the 'failure' tokens, as though you had misplayed a card. We don't like to use this rule though, and rarely do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I play a lot of the "Grand Finale" variant 2 player, where you have to build all of the piles to 5 to win. Playing that way, we just allow you keep taking turns after the deck runs out. It is still quite challenging!
This removes the extra layer of strategy called anticipating and saving just in case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.