$5.00
$30.00
$20.00
$15.00
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
I'm buying Deluxe Expansions in order of release. Though I'm still mid-Dwarrowdelf on Deluxe, I also have the first Hobbit and both Fellowship Saga expansions.

People say that quests should be played using only player cards available during or prior to its Cycle's release, but the Sagas are separate. Sagas are separate? I'm reorganizing my binder to sort by Sphere/Type/Release instead of "/"/Cost, and I'm not sure whether I should have Saga player cards sorted after Deluxe cards or not.

I know at this point for me it's a non-issue, but once I start playing Against the Shadow quests, I will be able to use Saga player cards for it. ...won't I?

So which Saga player cards would be allowed with which Deluxe quests (and vice versa) if playing in release order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play "progression style" and only have cards available when they came out, I believe here's when they came out:

Hobbit: OHUH (came out after Dwarrowdelf cycle)
Hobbit: OTDS (came out after Heir of Numenor deluxe box)
LOTR: Black Riders (came out same month as Blood of Gondor)
LOTR: Road Darkens (came about between Tharbad and Nin-in-Eleph APs)
LOTR: Treason of Saruman (came after Ringmaker cycle)
LOTR: Land of Shadow (came after Carn Dum AP)
LOTR: Flame of the West (came after Temple of the Deceived)

So you can use that if you want to go in strict chronological order. However, it also depends on what you want out of playing progression style. If you want to recreate what the players of the time had, you have to figure out if Black Riders came out before or after Blood of Gondor -- and you also have to consider if a limited "release" at GenCon is relevant, or whether you want the date it actually arrived in stores.

If you just want to keep yourself from being overwhelmed by too many cards, and to give "new cards" their chance to shine in turn, then all you need to do is play in the order *you* got them. Whether that's different than other people is fine.

If you want to play like the testers did, I'm not sure exactly what the testers had available (outside core) for saga tests. For cycles it's known that the deluxe *and* expansion cards are tested together, so all cards from a cycle are available (to them) at the same time, but I'm not sure what cards would've been available to saga testers.

And in any case, once you move to a regular cycle you are certainly allowed to use all neutral, leadership, lore, spirit, and tactics cards from saga releases outside the saga. Only boons/treasures and fellowship/pipe spheres are off-limits for use outside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This link may help if you want to use what was available when a scenario came out. It has release dates for everything. Last updated earlier this year.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/113707/lotr-card-game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.