Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep going back and forth on if this game is for me or not so I thought I might post what parts of certain games I like and see what the players who know all about this game would say.

I love Pathfinder ACG, but what I really like is the campaign part of building your character and adding better cards to your characters deck, which this game seems to touch on perhaps?

I have and use to play a lot of Lord Of the Rings LCG , which this game seems modeled heavily after.

I like the exploring aspect of LotR and the quests but I could not keep up with the constant deck building and I have a lot of the expansions.

I also own Arkham Horror board game , played a couple of times so the setting is ok with me as well.

So do you think this will be a heavy deck builder like LotR or just aspects of it , more like PACG?

I think that's really my deciding factor, I love campaign / card games but I really found I do not like heavy deck builders.

Any input on what players think welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's looking like it's going to be a slow deckbuilder, meaning once you've built the deck it will change slowly over the campaign.

Sounds like this is the game for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mario! Alright, one vote for!

Thank you , I've read a lot on it and have watched the newly posted video but it still didn't seem to explain the deck building part in full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. Of course, the game isn't fully out yet but judging by what the previews have given us, it looks as though you start with a basic deck and make a few deck-building decisions based on which investigator you choose, and from there you will slowly add/remove cards from your deck as you make progress through the campaign.

I have a friend who is a huge fan of the LotR LCG from a game play stand point but (like you) only takes issue with the amount of deck-construction required to play various scenarios. He and I have been looking at the new Arkham LCG and thinking that it looks to combine the best of both worlds: solid game play mechanisms borrowed from LotR but without the need to rebuild your deck every time you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
I think it's going to be a bit of a mix (growth wise) of LOTR LCG and, say, PACG.

Each character has certain conditions their deck must fill (X items, Y Spells, whatever), but the actual cards you put in are up to you (I think). This part will be like the deck construction in LOTR.

After each scenario, you gain XP which lets you buy better cards to swap in to your deck... this seems like PACG, sort of.

Then after each story arc (cycle, what have you), you'll start over.

I think that's the gist of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what we know/assume and what you said it certainly sounds to me like it'll work for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The deckbuilding aspect does seem like a much smaller part of this game compared to LotR. Even the original deck you build is going to be much less involved since you are restricted to 30 cards, only one "Hero" and only certain card "spheres" based on that hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ET11 wrote:
I think that's really my deciding factor, I love campaign / card games but I really found I do not like heavy deck builders.

Any input on what players think welcome!

I think you'll LOVE Arkham Horror the Card Game.

Not heavy deck building, card game, story driven scenarios linked with lasting effects into a campaign with slowly developing character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have invested quite a bit into LOTR and will continue to do so as I enjoy the game immensely. Given how often i have played it, with the promise of many more games through both unopened packs and new types of deck that can be developed because of my large card pool, I have gotten my moneys worth, and I would say it is my best value game.

I will invest into Arkham Horror, which I am really looking forward to, but I suspect that Arkham Horror LCG won't get the same amount of plays from me, mainly because the the way it is designed means that it will have a much tighter story driven nature and character progression - which leads to a great experience, but perhaps a little less relative replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright guys , thanks for all the info and time to post , preordered the game today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.