Subject: Is this a good deal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I've been into ACW for a while now I came across a few auctions on ebay - collections of acw books. That is the only way to buy things from croatia as individual shipping would bury me.

So I stumbled - and won - this one, but am having second thoughts as far as value is concerned. I'd be paying about 150 pounds for this when they add shipping. I know catton's and foote's trilogies are must haves, but what about everything else?

I know there is about a thousand ACW enthusiasts on this forum, so I though you'd help me feel more content or tell me its a total waste of money.
Thanks

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this seems quite a good deal! Most of these are worthwhile on both ends of the detail spectrum, incl. esp. The Ken Burns overview, and the highly-detailed Cozzens on Chickamauga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
General
badge
The War Room
mbmbmbmbmb
I own or have read many of the books presented here. Most are good works from reputable authors. A note on value: consider the number of paperbacks versus the number of hardbacks in the collection. There were quite a number of paperbacks.

Why not instead order one book at a time of your liking from Amazon? Most of these books you could probably pick up for a couple of bucks each plus shipping. It will save you a lot of up front money and you could tailor your selection based on your interest at the time. Build your library over time and read as you go. Buy hardbacks for a library; paperbacks if you just want a good read but not necessarily a collection.

Do you have a specific interest in the American Civil War? A particular battle or campaign or general or theater?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smic wrote:
I own or have read many of the books presented here. Most are good works from reputable authors. A note on value: consider the number of paperbacks versus the number of hardbacks in the collection. There were quite a number of paperbacks.

Why not instead order one book at a time of your liking from Amazon? Most of these books you could probably pick up for a couple of bucks each plus shipping. It will save you a lot of up front money and you could tailor your selection based on your interest at the time. Build your library over time and read as you go. Buy hardbacks for a library; paperbacks if you just want a good read but not necessarily a collection.

Do you have a specific interest in the American Civil War? A particular battle or campaign or general or theater?

I couldn't agree more with this. I'd disagree with earlier posters, I think this set is more of a mixed bag, some of these volumes are a bit dated and several of them aren't about the Civil War at all.

I'd recommend checking these websites:
www.hpb.com
www.abebooks.com
www.betterworldbooks.com

as well as Amazon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The shipping is a very good deal, which is the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:
I'd recommend checking these websites:
www.hpb.com
www.abebooks.com
www.betterworldbooks.com

as well as Amazon

For the record, Amazon now owns ABEBooks, and has begun the process of ruining it. HPB.com and BetterworldBooks are likely arms of Amazon as well now (along with their UK parent "BookDepository"), and their service and quality can range from atrocious to passable, usually lower. If you are getting books shipped from the US or the UK to Croatia, they'll toss them in a flimsy plastic bag mailer/envelope and they'll arrived in a trashed state. I have added HPB, BetterWorld, and BookDepository to my "do not buy from" list after numerous bad experiences.

Betterworld actually mailed a large hardcover book to me from the UK in a plastic bag, a rare old book I paid $200 for. They then refused any sort of claim when it arrived heavily damaged.

On Amazon and ABE, you have to now sift through for the real bookdealers, and avoid the online "bookjackers" like Murray Media, Book Deals, Irish Bookseller, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Avtomatik wrote:
So I stumbled - and won - this one, but am having second thoughts as far as value is concerned. I'd be paying about 150 pounds for this when they add shipping. I know catton's and foote's trilogies are must haves, but what about everything else?

More to your question now. Were I looking to expand my library into ACW titles, I'd jump at the price and selection shown here.

I actually have the Spotsylvania book, my great-grandfather was wounded there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some years ago I read the four Rhea books I see pictured on the 1864 Overland Campaign (Wilderness, Spotsylvania Courthouse, North Anna, and Cold Harbor). They are great reads full of detail without being dry or boring.

I second the Cozzens book which is the middle one of the trilogy he wrote (first one was about Stones River and the last about Chattanooga. If you can track down the other two books in the trilogy he wrote about the western theater it is well worth the effort.

Both Grant Moves South and Grant Takes Command I really enjoyed.

The Buford book is okay.

Sherman's March is very, very detailed but good if you have a lot of interest in that topic. Otherwise, it can feel a bit overwhelming.

The Forrest Bio is solid.

And I have heard that Nothing but Victory is good but I have never personally read it.

A good lot overall but the Cozzens and Rhea books are the gems and well worth the effort, IMO.

Hope this is of some help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smic wrote:

Yes, I am planning to specialize in it when the time comes (2nd year of history atm). Right now I am mostly interested in the first half of the war (ending with gettysburg), I am planning to write an article about the prounionist sentiment of the confederate high army command during antebellum and between secession and fort Sumter. I think I'll prolly limit myself to the 8 full generals as if I go beyond that it would be too long.

I have canceled the buy, as I have Foote's Trilogy and Freeman's Lee's Liutenants on the shelf waiting to be read, and I think I could use the money for different things now (going to essen xD). The book that is on my radar right now is Wert's Longstreet. Right now I am reading
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2319745.Slavery_by_Anoth...
and
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1283566.This_Republic_of...
and also looking for a broad book about reconstruction so I can get the feeling for the period.

Thanks all for the input^^

Edit: We also started to play For the People regularly (3rd game starting this sunday), and man...no words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
General
badge
The War Room
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Foner, Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Business

J. G. Randal, The Civil War and Reconstruction. (dated but still good standard work)

Not sure what shipping would cost, but used copies of both of these sell for pennies on Amazon. And then there is audio to consider, maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rose
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Foote's trilogy. It was a little difficult getting into it as it begins with the political background & some of the main protagonists early years, which for me was only of passing interest, but once Foote gets into the war its wonderfully informative , witty & beautifully written. The latter for me takes this far beyond just another history book - its also a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Regards
Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.