Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: [SPOILER] Rule Question about Sticker A rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Baksh
Canada
flag msg tools
The following is a clarification of the subject (minor spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rules Question involving the Ghost Ship Event Card



The following is the actual question.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Ghost ship attacks the nearest ship. How are ties broken, or does it attack all nearest ships? In our campaign,it has attacked twice (both times me, which is humorous since it was my ship that was sunk) and this has not yet been an issue, but players want to be able to make a tactical decision regarding this. One thought is that it would attack the most prominent tied player. Though others feel it should attack the least prominent. Also questioned is whether or not it should attack the owner of the original lost ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
squeakyboy wrote:
The following is a clarification of the subject (minor spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rules Question involving the Ghost Ship Event Card



The following is the actual question.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Ghost ship attacks the nearest ship. How are ties broken, or does it attack all nearest ships? In our campaign,it has attacked twice (both times me, which is humorous since it was my ship that was sunk) and this has not yet been an issue, but players want to be able to make a tactical decision regarding this. One thought is that it would attack the most prominent tied player. Though others feel it should attack the least prominent. Also questioned is whether or not it should attack the owner of the original lost ship.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
In spoiler text just to be safe. All ties are broken in favor of prominence. Meaning that if multiple people are equal distance it will attack the player with the highest rank. This has been something that players in my game have thought about and used. Also just to give you the text from the source.
rulebook page 6 wrote:

In the event of any tie for any reason, unless otherwise stated, the tie
is broken in the favor of the player with the less-prominent title. This
means that good events favor the less-prominent title and bad events
happen to the more-prominent title.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rulebook page 6 wrote:
In the event of any tie for any reason, unless otherwise stated, the tie is broken in the favor of the player with the less-prominent title. This means that good events favor the less-prominent title and bad events happen to the more-prominent title.


We've had some arguments about what is a "good event" and what is a "bad event", since some events can have either good or bad consequences. I think it's usually fairly clear that something is "generally good" or "generally bad", so it's really only the rules lawyers that cause problems with this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Baksh
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you all
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
rulebook page 6 wrote:
In the event of any tie for any reason, unless otherwise stated, the tie is broken in the favor of the player with the less-prominent title. This means that good events favor the less-prominent title and bad events happen to the more-prominent title.


We've had some arguments about what is a "good event" and what is a "bad event", since some events can have either good or bad consequences. I think it's usually fairly clear that something is "generally good" or "generally bad", so it's really only the rules lawyers that cause problems with this.

If it helps, keep in mind that it's the first (quoted) sentence that is the rule, and the second (quoted) sentence is merely the logical consequence of that rule. Since "in favor of" can be subjective, then that player should make the call.

Made-up example:

"The player with the least gold gains 5 gold." If there's a tie, then the least prominent of those tied decides if the event is "in his favor". Probably it is. But what if the player is concerned that he might get hit by (made up event) the pirate who steals all of the gold from the richest player -- and that 5 gold would make him the richest player, rather than second richest? Well, maybe that event isn't "in his favor", so he could choose to pass on it. Then the next player in line decides if it is "in his favor", and so on. If none of the tied players want it, then the most prominent of the tied players would get stuck with that pesky 5 gold...

As you said, I suspect that under most conditions, allocating the event will be a no-brainer. But if it isn't, for some reason, I plan to resolve it as described above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
rulebook page 6 wrote:
In the event of any tie for any reason, unless otherwise stated, the tie is broken in the favor of the player with the less-prominent title. This means that good events favor the less-prominent title and bad events happen to the more-prominent title.


We've had some arguments about what is a "good event" and what is a "bad event", since some events can have either good or bad consequences. I think it's usually fairly clear that something is "generally good" or "generally bad", so it's really only the rules lawyers that cause problems with this.

If it helps, keep in mind that it's the first (quoted) sentence that is the rule, and the second (quoted) sentence is merely the logical consequence of that rule. Since "in favor of" can be subjective, then that player should make the call.

Made-up example:

"The player with the least gold gains 5 gold." If there's a tie, then the least prominent of those tied decides if the event is "in his favor". Probably it is. But what if the player is concerned that he might get hit by (made up event) the pirate who steals all of the gold from the richest player -- and that 5 gold would make him the richest player, rather than second richest? Well, maybe that event isn't "in his favor", so he could choose to pass on it. Then the next player in line decides if it is "in his favor", and so on. If none of the tied players want it, then the most prominent of the tied players would get stuck with that pesky 5 gold...

As you said, I suspect that under most conditions, allocating the event will be a no-brainer. But if it isn't, for some reason, I plan to resolve it as described above.


While I can see what you are saying with the made up example and that goes into the philosophy of what "good" is, I think you may be reading to much into it. The rule itself is not referring to if a condition is universally good given the outcome of all other possible events. It is referring to if there is a bonus, gain of gold or glory or other independently good reward the tie would go to the player with the least prominence. This makes the resolution of ties another catch up mechanism.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I know. I was mostly responding to David's comment about how rules lawyers might cause problems with determining event targets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mcs1213 wrote:
squeakyboy wrote:
The following is a clarification of the subject (minor spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rules Question involving the Ghost Ship Event Card



The following is the actual question.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Ghost ship attacks the nearest ship. How are ties broken, or does it attack all nearest ships? In our campaign,it has attacked twice (both times me, which is humorous since it was my ship that was sunk) and this has not yet been an issue, but players want to be able to make a tactical decision regarding this. One thought is that it would attack the most prominent tied player. Though others feel it should attack the least prominent. Also questioned is whether or not it should attack the owner of the original lost ship.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
In spoiler text just to be safe. All ties are broken in favor of prominence. Meaning that if multiple people are equal distance it will attack the player with the highest rank. This has been something that players in my game have thought about and used. Also just to give you the text from the source.
rulebook page 6 wrote:

In the event of any tie for any reason, unless otherwise stated, the tie
is broken in the favor of the player with the less-prominent title. This
means that good events favor the less-prominent title and bad events
happen to the more-prominent title.




This is correct - the ship will attack the player with the highest title.

A good way to know if an event is "good" or "bad" is to ask the player with the highest rank if they want it to happen to them. If their face turns green, it's probably supposed to happen to them
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
Avatar
mbmbmb
we had a situation where one where the closest ship was at a player's home area, but there was another ship that was still at sea one space further away from the Ghost ship. Do ships in home areas still get attacked? We also had a situation where all players at their ships at their home areas at the end of the round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
we had a situation where one where the closest ship was at a player's home area, but there was another ship that was still at sea one space further away from the Ghost ship. Do ships in home areas still get attacked? We also had a situation where all players at their ships at their home areas at the end of the round.


yep ships in home spaces still get attacked
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mbmb
If you are playing with missing player rules and the closest ship is the missing player's ships still in port, does the ghost ship attack the missing players ships?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:
If you are playing with missing player rules and the closest ship is the missing player's ships still in port, does the ghost ship attack the missing players ships?


I can't think of any reason it wouldn't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.