$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Eric Stevenson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Im working through the rules and playing all 3 factions by myself so I will be better able to teach this next week.

A few questions have come up. For now:

1) When you colonize, it says you need to have a ship in orbit and that it is the seed for the colony, BUT does that actually mean you sacrifice the ship to add the control token? That ship disappears?

2) When you discover a new system, and the exploration card is a crisis. If you solve it, is that system now considered a virgin system, ripe for colonization?

3) During the maintenance/research phase, the rules states that you add a new research token to phenomenon if it doesnt already have one. Does that mean, even if one faction has braved it, survived it, and taken the initial research token...that that phenomenon gets a new token at the end of each round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Yes. The ship is part of the cost of colonizing, so it is spent and therefore removed.

2. Yes, a system with no exploration card by it is treated as a virgin planet. The Virgin system card just means "Nothing interesting happens here."

3. Yes. Phenomena regain their research token at the end of each round. It's first come, first served, though, so only one player can collect it each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a note about collecting the research if you are in the space when a research token is generated, if you want to collect it you have to "brave the hazard" and spend an action, and roll to see if any ships die before you collect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In practice, does this mean you end up parking a ship at a phenomenon to "brave the hazard" each round and collect a research?

I don't have the game yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:
In practice, does this mean you end up parking a ship at a phenomenon to "brave the hazard" each round and collect a research?

I don't have the game yet.

You can do that, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevenson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Novacat wrote:

3. Yes. Phenomena regain their research token at the end of each round. It's first come, first served, though, so only one player can collect it each round.

Ok. If the guy who discovered, braved, survived, and got the initial research token is there still the next turn, can he grab the new research token? Does he have to brave it again or because he survived before, can he just keep taking it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DoctorBox wrote:
Novacat wrote:

Ok. If the guy who discovered, braved, survived, and got the initial research token is there still the next turn, can he grab the new research token? Does he have to brave it again or because he survived before, can he just keep taking it?

You have to brave the hazard anew every time you want to claim the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
DoctorBox wrote:
Novacat wrote:

You have to brave the hazard anew every time you want to claim the token.

and spend a command each time you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevenson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
a note about collecting the research if you are in the space when a research token is generated, if you want to collect it you have to "brave the hazard" and spend an action, and roll to see if any ships die before you collect it.

If you exhausted a command to move in to the system with the phenomenon in it, you don't have to exhaust an additional command to brave it. It sounds like you only have to exhaust a command to brave it if you are already there from a previous round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBox wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

If you exhausted a command to move in to the system with the phenomenon in it, you don't have to exhaust an additional command to brave it. It sounds like you only have to exhaust a command to brave it if you are already there from a previous round.

yes exactly sorry if i wasnt clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
2) You discard the exploration card even if you FAIL the Crisis card, making the system a virgin planet afterward; UNLESS the card specifically states that it REMAINS IN PLAY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. The specific wording is Ships only have to Brave a Hazard when they end a Movement there. So discovering a new system with a hazard automatically ends your movement, triggering the hazard roll. After a hazard is discovered, future ships may safely move through the hazard and avoid the roll as long as they keep moving. Likewise, ships built in a hazardous sector don't need to make the roll when they appear or when they leave (since they aren't ending a move there). And a ship already parked there has the option to brave it again by spending a command token, but it isn't required.

Which begs the question: how do you build ships in a hazardous sector? I'm just now unpacking my game, but I thought ships can only be built in your home sector and in sectors with a starbase. But a starbase has to be built in a sector you control, and you can't build a control node in a hazard, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can build a control node in a hazardous planetary system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
You can build a control node in a hazardous planetary system.

Derp. Thanks. I haven't looked at the planetary discs yet, and every hazard example provided in the manual is also a phenomenon (gas clouds and nebulas and such). I didn't know there were hazardous planets. Mystery solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.