Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We have decided it is time to given Dominion (and Intrigue) a facelift. Accordingly, we have created new covers and replaced a few cards in each game to make them even more interesting and fun to play. For those who already have these games, we are offering upgrade packs that contain the new cards so players who do not want to buy a whole new game for these new cards can get just the new cards. In addition to new cards and covers, we have cleaned up the rules and card text to eliminate confusion. We have also removed the extra Base Cards from Intrigue, which will reduce the cost; players who want to play with 5-6 players can still get the Base Cards set for the extra cards needed. With Dominion, second edition, we have changed the Base cards to artwork similar to that found previously in Base Cards.

The games have been produced and we expect to begin shipping them to distributors next week.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Chancellor probably gets a rewording (edit: rather it is the faq in the rule book that needs it). When you say "replaced," do you mean completely new cards, or just shuffled from one set to another? How many kingdom stacks are in this upgrade pack? When will that be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking care of existing owners. I want to make sure I understand. In order to get all of the updated wording on the cards and the updated rules, I will need to buy both complete games? I will do that gladly as I have gotten so much gaming out of those original purchases that I don't mind buying them new. Thank you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
We have also removed the extra Base Cards from Intrigue, which will reduce the cost

Does that mean that Intrigue is not a standalone expansion now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that is exactly what he said going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would assume that, I am not sure how you could play without the Base Cards (Money, Provinces, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Chancellor probably gets a rewording (edit: rather it is the faq in the rule book that needs it). When you say "replaced," do you mean completely new cards, or just shuffled from one set to another? How many kingdom stacks are in this upgrade pack? When will that be available?

Yeah, Jay, when will the new rules (in PDF) be availabe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
the new rules will be posted on the web site as soon as they fix it to allow me to put them there. Hopefully tonight.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Montego
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Please tell me they changed the artwork on the 'cartoony' cards. I wouldn't mind a change to the backs of the cards. They look dated to me. But sounds like that's a no if they can mix with first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
I will post a Secret History when the cards are available, going over all of the changes and the new cards. For now though here is a list of the changes:

For each of Dominion and Intrigue:
- Six cards replaced with new cards
- One additional new card added (replacing blanks)
- Other cards changed to have better phrasings (that are functionally the same).
- Rulebooks improved
- New cards also available as a separate small product (with new inlay, but no tray or rulebook) - Dominion Update Pack, Intrigue Update Pack.
- Cover art changed, and "Second Edition" added
- Expansion symbol changed

Additionally for Dominion:
- Three cards changed very mildly ("you may" added to Moneylender, Mine, Throne Room)
- Base cards improved with art (like Base Cards but better)
- A trash playmat rather than card

Additionally for Intrigue:
- One card changed mildly (Masquerade skips players with no cards in hand)
- Base cards dropped

Those changes are only for Dominion and Intrigue; other sets are not getting new cards. However all sets prior to Empires are getting general rulebook and card layout improvements, whenever new printings are ordered (Empires already has these changes, so you can go see how you like them there right now).

The different kinds of changes:
- Some wordings are improved to be clearer / simpler.
- We now use "they" instead of "he."
- A bigger font is used on cards that can use it.
- +Cards etc. in the body of the text are in bold.
- Layout will be more consistent and have better text centering etc.

The Update Packs contain just the new cards and a replacement inlay, in a small box. There's one for Dominion and one for Intrigue, each with 7 new cards (80 physical cards total). We don't really know what the demand for them will be, and in the long term we won't have them (since anyone buying those sets new will get the new cards), but they exist for now so that people who want the new cards don't have to re-buy Dominion or Intrigue to get them.

New versions of Base Cards will have the updated base cards; I don't know when exactly that gets reprinted though. The Big Box will also be updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
corbinmontego wrote:
Please tell me they changed the artwork on the 'cartoony' cards. I wouldn't mind a change to the backs of the cards. They look dated to me. But sounds like that's a no if they can mix with first edition.

We couldn't change the backs.

The artwork for Moat is different - just tinted blue - because the artist is also the layout guy and I guess this was something he regretted, not having the art match the frame. The rest of the art for retained cards is unchanged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
rickert wrote:
Thanks for taking care of existing owners. I want to make sure I understand. In order to get all of the updated wording on the cards and the updated rules, I will need to buy both complete games?

Yes. The Dominion Update Pack has just the new cards for Dominion (plus an inlay), and the Intrigue Update Pack has just the new cards for Intrigue (plus an inlay). The other cards are not included, even if the wordings were tweaked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the update packs direct from RGG only, or will CSI etc have them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
swag yolo
msg tools
So we can purchase the upgrade packs on amazon in a few weeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
aldaryn wrote:

They will go through distributors like regular expansions. It's up to CSI as to whether or not they stock it, but I mean what are the odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
aldaryn wrote:

They will go through distributors like regular expansions. It's up to CSI as to whether or not they stock it, but I mean what are the odds.

I agree with that. But I want to replace the full Dominion and Intrigue games. I hope distributors order them even if they had Version 1 in stock. Plus need to make sure they fill my order with the 2nd Edition if they have both in stock at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
rickert wrote:
I agree with that. But I want to replace the full Dominion and Intrigue games. I hope distributors order them even if they had Version 1 in stock. Plus need to make sure they fill my order with the 2nd Edition if they have both in stock at the same time.

While obv. anyone can make a mistake, the second editions have different uh part numbers, and different covers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do BGG entries exist yet?
If not, how does that happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B.
Germany
flag msg tools
riogames wrote:

The games have been produced and we expect to begin shipping them to distributors next week.
Jay

Only the english versions? Or will you ship german and other languages too?

And is there already a release date for the upgrade packs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bayrisch_hell wrote:
And is there already a release date for the upgrade packs?

The update packs are releasing at the same time as the second editions. Which is to say they should be shipped next week, barring any delays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
For those who already have these games, we are offering upgrade packs that contain the new cards so players who do not want to buy a whole new game for these new cards can get just the new cards.

Class act as always Jay. Thank you for supporting your existing customers. thumbsup

I know the ship has already sailed on these two upgrade packs but for any in the future PLEASE consider also including any cards that receive even small text revisions.

While things like "you may" are a minor change that folks can implement with the old cards, in a game with such an enormous card base it's almost impossible for casual and new players to keep track of those changes, especially as that revised card pool grows.

I can pretty much guarantee that most people who are willing to pay for an upgrade pack would gladly pay just a bit more to get revised cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
riogames wrote:
For those who already have these games, we are offering upgrade packs that contain the new cards so players who do not want to buy a whole new game for these new cards can get just the new cards.

Class act as always Jay. Thank you for supporting your existing customers. thumbsup

I know the ship has already sailed on these two upgrade packs but for any in the future PLEASE consider also including any cards that receive even small text revisions.

While things like "you may" are a minor change that folks can implement with the old cards but in a game with such an enormous card base it's almost impossible for casual and new players to keep track of things like that, especially as that revised card pool grows.

I can pretty much guarantee that most people who are willing to pay for an upgrade pack would gladly pay just a bit more to get revised cards as well.

Yeah. I would love the updated text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dancause

Lunenburg
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will the older cards that are being replaced be available separately as well? I for some reason held off on buying Intrigue but now I'm not sure if I should wait or grab a current version now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EnemyCanine wrote:
Will the older cards that are being replaced be available separately as well? I for some reason held off on buying Intrigue but now I'm not sure if I should wait or grab a current version now.

As someone with 6k games of Dominion played I can say with confidence that you should trust Jay and DXV and you won't be missing much if you don't have those cards being replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Dominion completionist, I'd hate it if there were once-official cards I didn't have.

Except maybe Saboteur. It won't be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.