Subject: Conflict Wishlist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Klammer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What goes onto the conflict wish list for this game for you?

I've thought about making my own C&C:M before and so I have a list of potential periods and conflicts.

Here's my list:
Hundred Years War
War of the Roses
Guelfs and Ghibellines
Sforza
Crusades
Hussite Wars
Hungarian Invasions of Europe
Mongol Conquests
Scottish Wars of Independence
Albigensian Crusade
Northern Crusades
Frankish Expansion
Arab Conquests
Reconquista

Of course it's not an exhaustive list, just ones I thought of at different times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
having played a fair bit of BattleLore with the Medieval Lore rules, including the 100 Years War, Scottish Wars, War of Two Pedros, I'd prefer the game focused on the earlier and eastern Medieval period.

So specifically;
Crusades 1-4
Byzantine Wars with the Sassanids, and Turks
Arab conquests

with the prospect of many all cavalry, or majority cavalry, battles, it will be interesting to see how the Command Deck evolves.

Also wondering what happened to the Biblical expansion for Ancients?

EDIT
From the GMT site
Although the Byzantine army fought on other frontiers, against a multitude of opponents, Visigoths, Vandals, Ostrogoths, Franks, Alemanni, those conflicts are beyond the scope and space of this one package. Additional expansion modules that address those battles will be forthcoming.
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-604-commands-colors-medieval.aspx

so it could be C&C Byzantine would be closer to the concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Klammer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

so it could be C&C Byzantine would be closer to the concept.

Still totally awesome. I'll take anything and everything in the 500 to 1500 period really. Actually a 30 years war would be cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would honestly prefer a C&C Byzantine, to be honest. Belisarius and the Visigoths? That's just awesome.

If we get expansion modules for the Franks and Alemani, and there's Moorish scenarios in the base game, we could presumably have a pretty good module for some Charlemagne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I think naming it "Medieval" was a good move from GMT, even if it will be "Byzantine" for a while. Personally, I was looking for a C&C:Byzantine, but if with the same game they can extend it later to other periods, that's even better.

I'd like to see Hastings, and some Vikings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
I think naming it "Medieval" was a good move from GMT, even if it will be "Byzantine" for a while. Personally, I was looking for a C&C:Byzantine, but if with the same game they can extend it later to other periods, that's even better.

I'd like to see Hastings, and some Vikings!

It does feel like a different approach will be needed though. Eventually there will have to be expansion boxes of armies that never fought the Byzantines, and that'll mean they will only be playable with other expansion boxes... and some people that want those armies won't want Byzantines just for the rules.

I think it could be really interesting if we end up with a Near East start box, Southern Europe start box and maybe a Northern Europe start box. In about fifteen years time probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
It does feel like a different approach will be needed though. Eventually there will have to be expansion boxes of armies that never fought the Byzantines, and that'll mean they will only be playable with other expansion boxes... and some people that want those armies won't want Byzantines just for the rules.

I think it could be really interesting if we end up with a Near East start box, Southern Europe start box and maybe a Northern Europe start box. In about fifteen years time probably.

I agree, but it has not been their policy up to now. People that wanted just Greco-Persian wars or Roman civil wars had to buy Hannibal first. Same for CCN. So I guess they have already checked with those two series that this continuous expansion of a single base game is the best strategy for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
Eventually there will have to be expansion boxes of armies that never fought the Byzantines, and that'll mean they will only be playable with other expansion boxes... and some people that want those armies won't want Byzantines just for the rules.

I doubt that there will be a set of blocks that doesn't fight the Byzantines. Nearly everyone fought the Byzantines at some point! Note I said blocks since I anticipate we will see a fair amount of reuse of blocks with so many factions being interchangeable. In the first half of the time period Rus, Saxons, Slavs, Norse, Scots, and many more can be represented with the same block art, just with a few different units and some special rules. As far as the block art goes, "hairy warrior with a round shield" covers most of these, and other, factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert DeLeskie
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good list! Would love to see a C&C version of key Mongol battles that plays faster and lighter than GBOH. They tended to be pretty one-sided affairs and so may not make for ideal FTF play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably the least shared sentiment here, but I would love mid to late-medieval high-chivalry with magic and monsters. Arthurian legend type stuff. Something in the wheelhouse of Battlelore 2.0, but more traditional scenario based, with an AD&D 1st ed setting and wooden blocks, would be fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
It's probably the least shared sentiment here, but I would love mid to late-medieval high-chivalry with magic and monsters. Arthurian legend type stuff. Something in the wheelhouse of Battlelore 2.0, but more traditional scenario based, with an AD&D 1st ed setting and wooden blocks, would be fantastic.

This sounds like BattleLore 1st ed. with wooden blocks?
I have been recently reminded of the amazing flexibility of BattleLore 1, it can cover medieval, high medieval, dark ages, fantasy, Westeros, Middle Earth.

there is a huge archive of scenarios
http://www.battleloreadventure.com/Editeuraventure/AventureL...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.