Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Pavemint
A skateboarding game for 3-5 players. Short play time.
Marianne Waage & Michael Irving

At the end of old Route 42 lay an abandoned mint factory, old and forgotten... Mostly. Once a year, skateboarders from across the region come together to practice the most righteous of tricks, jumps, and grinds. The cramped quarters and other boarders cause mischief and are guaranteed to test your mettle. You are one of these skateboarders, and you are trying to prove you're the best!

List of Components:
- Factory map: One 7-sided central piece, with 7 sections to place around it. (Potentially adding extras, or maybe double-sided, for replayability.)
- 1 different colored cube or meeple per person to represent the players.
- 2 matching cubes/markers per player to track speed and score.
- 5 or 6 6-sided dice, 12mm or smaller, preferably matching the meeple
- 6 business sized cards for player stats
- 20 micro cards for tricks
- 6 micro cards for player trick/move
- Possible future expansion: 6 tokens for player powers.

Rules: Pavemint Living Rules - v0.2.1
Components:
Pavemint Components, 4 pages, v0.2.1 (wide)

Photos of draft components:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Pavemint: A Refreshingly Different Grind - 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Idea Phase
This game was inspired by a tongue-in-cheek pun suggested at the start of the Mint Tin contest. I thought a skateboarding game was needed (in fact, I only see two in the database, with a quick look), and started brainstorming.

Because there are too many hexagons in the world, the board will have a septagon in the center, with 7 rhombus sections surrounding it, representing different areas of the map. There might be extras, or they might be double-sided, to allow for replayability. I anticipate suggesting a 'standard' map, for balance reasons. Map pieces will have speed adjustments on them.

Each player will have a player card with their speed and perhaps a player power. Haven't brainstormed power ideas yet. Players will use 2d6, or, potentially, combinations of polyhedral dice based on each player, to roll off against other players, or for pulling off tricks.

Trick cards will have minimum speed, perhaps 2 speeds, required in order to pull off the trick, in which to gain points. They may also require a specific location in order to do it. Players will have a max hand of 3, or can use their turn to gain speed.

Trick cards will be revealed simultaneously and executed in order based on priority listed on the trick card. Players choose the location they want to do the trick. Players who move to a place already occupied will take a penalty to their dice or such, perhaps rolling against the existing player with one of their two trick dice. (Still working out this aspect.) That die can not be used in the trick later.

The player with the most points earned from successful tricks wins the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Pavemint: A Refreshingly Different Grind - 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Idea Phase
Throw in graffiti and police chases and you'll have Jet Set Radio Future, the board game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That was rollerblading, if I recall, but if it's even half as good as JSRF, it will be a very awesome game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is the speed how fast they are going or how fast they can go? If it is how fast they are going, you may want to implement max speed too! Certain tricks if you are going to fast, you wouldn't be able to do. Also, if not on ramp or going down hill, landing a trick reduces speed. just some things to keep in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Speed is how fast they are going, and there will be a max speed. I'm considering having that differ per player (perhaps as an advanced option). I hadn't thought about max speed for a trick though, very sensible! We'll see what kind of space I have to include it. It might actually work well, as we were debating having different amounts of points for slow speed versus fast speed. Perhaps it could just be reflected in that.

I was generally going to have speed reduced while landing a trick, though I hadn't thought by how much, or if it should vary by trick.

I suppose minimum speed is kind of moot on a skateboard, as there are few repercussions, and many tricks can be done at a standstill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
These will probably be the most colorful of the cards: the player speed trackers. Colored to match a variety of meeple or cube colors to hopefully aid quick identification, and a range of available speeds. These are... mostly done. One needs a skull, and I think I need to tweak some lining in places. There are 2 more not shown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Got a quick draft together so my husband can balance the numbers for the speed, board areas and points. Definitely need to increase the font size on the tiny trick cards.

Draft board laid out for 5 players, and preliminary 20 trick cards. Pleased with the shape. Need to tweak the title area and font, brightness of the photos and such.

Draft of the players. 6 options, so that 5th player still gets a choice. A few details still undone on this, but printed to check for legibility and mint tin fit. Really happy with the colors and the photos.

Shapes all fit. A second test with thicker chipboard shows the board should fit on a medium weight chipboard, as well as chipboard player tokens and probably 40+ micro cards total. And very svelt instructions.

Will need to provide more specific attribution once done, but shoutout to darkday on flickr for a wealth of decaying locales, and to pixabay for "free high quality photos".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baking Is Fun Love to Bake
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
This is not what I was expecting from the random bits we've heard in IRC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, those components look amazing for a quick draft(?) and the theme is very original. Am curious to see where this design goes. If there was a solitaire mode I would definately give it a go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
moltenchocolatecake: Well, all I've said in IRC was that it was a skateboarding game taking place in a mint factory, that fits in a mint tin.

martin: Thanks! They're in various states of draft, to be fair:
- The speed cards are 90% done (one unformatted, some missing skulls)
- The board pieces are probably 50% done. This is only one side, and we haven't figured out all the other side yet, and I have to do some fussing to make everything as clear but skatey as possible.
- The cards have text but that's about it. 15% done?

Solitaire probably wouldn't fit in the mint tin with everything. I suppose you could just try beating your own scores. That kind of thing never sounded much fun to me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baking Is Fun Love to Bake
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I guess I filled in the rest in my head. Somehow I assumed fingerboards were involved!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
...I did comment that fingerboards don't fit in mint tins, when that was suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
martin: Thanks! They're in various states of draft, to be fair:
- The speed cards are 90% done (one unformatted, some missing skulls)
- The board pieces are probably 50% done. This is only one side, and we haven't figured out all the other side yet, and I have to do some fussing to make everything as clear but skatey as possible.
- The cards have text but that's about it. 15% done?

I look foward to seeing the 100% completed cards and boards. I think you succeeded very, very well in capturing the theme on the components.

Quote:
Solitaire probably wouldn't fit in the mint tin with everything.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I have had to cut down on alot of things I originally wanted to include in my contest entry. I think its a good thing.. It has been a great experience so far.

Quote:
I suppose you could just try beating your own scores. That kind of thing never sounded much fun to me though.

I have never tried soloing any multi-player games so its hard to tell. I'll patiently wait for the rules and see from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Graphics look pretty fancy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks!

We've had bad colds or something, so intelligent rules writing is slow going.

I lose track of who I'm playing when I'm Soloing multiplayer games. I saw a neat idea of standing up stuffed animals to be the players. Maybe that would be a good reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
yamaraus wrote:

I lose track of who I'm playing when I'm Soloing multiplayer games. I saw a neat idea of seeing up stuffed animals to be the players. Maybe that would be a good reminder.

Happens to me too LOL. I shall try the stuffed animals idea the next time I solo play a non-solo game!

And get well soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Almost done plinking at the rough, text-only instructions. Right now we're thinking the different player counts may need different board setup. For instance, a 3 player game might need less areas, to keep competition high.

You could, of course, make up whatever crazy-ass board configuration you'd like.

Hopefully get these instructions out one of these weekend nights. My husband is still sick (flu), so it's hard to get numbers balanced and things tested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Here are my instructions for Pavemint, v0.1. They're thorough, but need a few illustrations. They do not currently include player powers (passive or active) as we're still thinking of cool things players might want to do in-game. Ideas are welcome!

Pavemint Living Instructions

I think I'll put together some draft components, if people want to test, while I keep working on the graphics. It's probably 3-4 pages total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Huzzah!

Pavemint Draft Components v0.1

And playtesting powers activate!

My husband says that variable skater powers must be put in after the game is balanced, or baby kittens are sad. So tokens for that will be figured out later/soon. There are some ideas in the Living Rules, and other ideas are welcome.

The initial board layout for 5 players is, going around the center: air, grind+speed, air, grind, flip+speed, speed 2, flip+speed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do the numbers in the flame icons mean on the cards? I couldn't find an explanation, though it's probably in there somewhere.

EDIT: it's the priority number, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes, that's the priority number. That's one of the things that needs to be described with an illustration in the instructions. Though I suppose I could just say that in there...

I think the backside of the playing cards page needs the illustrations moved to the top of the page, in order to print by flipping on the short edge. I think right now it will always print in the wrong location if you print double-sided. I'll re-upload this evening. The trick cards with the X in the middle are duplicates. We'll probably make more unique cards after we get the numbers tested.

My husband was trying out a 4 player game as I left.

Update: Fixed the component file to allow doublesided printing (flip on short edge) for pages 1-2. Pages 3 and 4 should be single sided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
A start on soloing a 3 player game. using the draft components.

My husband says it reminds him of playing Dominion, which is kind of funny, since we only played that once. He has a better memory for some things than I do though, so I suspect he remembers the mechanical aspects. I just remember Dominion having a lot of inscrutable icons.

Hoping others get a chance to play. I printed ours on 110 cardstock, and got it all cut out in less than 15 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to play it in the next day or two.

Have you thought about adding some sort of wild card "in the zone" (or whatever kids say these days) that would allow the player some sort of bonus. Give each player 1 to start the game and they can use it on any single turn in the game to turn the tide? It might add a little more strategy or decision making for the players.

Just a thought. I should probably play the game before I offer feedback though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Pavemint: A Refreshingly Different Grind - 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Component Ready
I appreciate the concept but as someone who has been skateboarding for 20+ years (and even worked in the skateboard industry) this looks and feels like a parody of skateboarding; and that bums me out.

I think it has to do with the choice of trick/names, their context, and the fact that you have several generations/styles of skateboarding overlapping one another. I understand the photos are under creative commons and you just used what you could, so I won't fault you for the clash of skateboard styles/generations used in the graphic layout. Do you (the designers) have any experience with skateboarding and its culture? I do not mean to be offensive so please forgive me if I sound that way. I just am curious as to how you chose the particular tricks, as some of them don't make sense to me or haven't even heard of.

Is there a penalty for not landing a trick (not passing the skill check/ dice roll)? Skate contest judges take away points when you don't land the trick. Maybe each skater could start with the same score (for example 12) and the skill checks are used to keep the points up. Do the skaters get "injured" and (penalized) for missing too many tricks (not rolling enough successes)? Skateboarding is all about risk/reward and it would be nice to see that addressed in this game (or any skateboarding board game). Successfully landing each trick (and earning points) should feel like an accomplishment and not just a means to an end.

Earlier you mentioned that tricks could be done with 0 speed, and while I guess that is true to an extent, in street skating that actually makes tricks more difficult and would not earn the skater any points in a contest. Stationery tricks in a contest these days would reveal someone as being a beginner and really just feels out of place. Stationery tricks have their place in freestyle skateboarding/contests but that conflicts with the the theme/tricks of your current modern street style themed game. If different players each had their own skating style with their own unique trick cards then it would totally make sense, but as of now it seems like everyone is just doing the same tricks, so there should be some cohesion in the tricks offered.

I think you have a great idea here, it just needs some authenticity and cohesion for me to really appreciate it. I know games are supposed to be fun, but it would be hard for me to play this when so much just doesn't make sense thematically.

I am happy to help you out with terminology/trick names if you wanted to make any changes, as well as with any other questions you may have regarding skateboarding. And again, I am not trying to offend you, just giving my 2 cents, as someone who loves skateboarding and is a part of its current culture.

ps " Grab your skateboard and prepare to grind!-
change 'grind' to 'shred' and you have a winner. It makes more
sense since grinding is just 1 part of your game while 'shred' is
a synonym for skateboarding as a whole. And while 'shred' is a
late 80s/early 90's term, its still used regularly today. cool

Thanks for your time and good luck with your game; I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.