Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you supposed to be able to take guys from one deluxe set through the next, or are they only supposed to be for the one arc? Is it assumed mortality/insanity is so high that you won't last anyway?

Do they retire at the end of every deluxe set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the idea is you advance a character through one campaign and then "retire" him. As you gain XP you will be able to add more powerful cards to your deck. Starting a new campaign, you could certainly play the same Investigator, but starting with 0 XP and thus none of those more powerful cards.

I can imagine, but have no evidence, that there will be campaigns or single adventures that start with "advanced" characters ("you have 5XP to build your initial deck."), but the previews from FFG have stated that most campaigns will begin with 0 level Investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the same time there doesn't seem to be anything to stop us from using the same character in more than 1 campaign. He/she would just likely be overpowered for the second campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also see it as more characters you can chose from for each campaign. It's kind of like when your buddy busts out Eldrich Horror with all the expansions and there are dozens of characters to choose from. They didn't all come from the base game.

A big part of the replayability of Aekham LCG is that you will have more characters each Deluxe to use with any of the campaigns. This means you could sit down with a whole new group of people, have them choose which ever character they want, and you progress through quests X, Y, and Z in one sitting if possible. Yeah, you'll be playing for a couple hours, but isn't that the same as playing regular Arkham Horror or CoC RPG?

This is going to be so awesome!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to his has been spoiled

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1628747/some-concrete-info-r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
souloon souloon
Poland
flag msg tools
I read somewhere that you can start with stronger characters for a price of more weaknesses in your deck. So it seems that you do get more powerful with time in the normal game, but you will also get more scarred by the things you encounter during the game. There are also traumas that will stick with you (reducing max stamina or sanity), so its possible that you cannot play new arc not because you're too powerful, but because you're too insane, broken, tired, bruised and sick. Very lovercraftian approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it works that you can keep your dudes, but up the difficulty to even out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I wonder if it works that you can keep your dudes, but up the difficulty to even out.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it goes against the campaign nature. The whole experience of the game is acquiring stuff from scenario to scenario. It creates a climaxing story. Going in with an investigator that's fully geared out kind of goes against the theme, as well as the intention of campaign play.

But for those would prefer to play this way, I'm sure the harder difficulties will provide a decent challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soul31 wrote:
I read somewhere that you can start with stronger characters for a price of more weaknesses in your deck.

Where did you read this? I've never heard this mentioned and it doesn't sound likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised if most people at some point try a maxxed out character against a scenario on maximum difficulty level to see how (badly) it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
souloon souloon
Poland
flag msg tools
Ha! I managed to find it.

There: https://theshadowarchive.net/an-introduction-to-arkham-horro...

"The rules for pickup games allow investigators to build decks with as much experience as they want… at a price. Theoretically you could even begin a campaign with these rules, which state that after spending a certain amount of experience building your pickup deck, you’re forced to add a corresponding number of random basic weaknesses to your deck"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soul31 wrote:
Ha! I managed to find it.

There: https://theshadowarchive.net/an-introduction-to-arkham-horro...

"The rules for pickup games allow investigators to build decks with as much experience as they want… at a price. Theoretically you could even begin a campaign with these rules, which state that after spending a certain amount of experience building your pickup deck, you’re forced to add a corresponding number of random basic weaknesses to your deck"

Thanks! Interesting. I don't plan on playing standalone games, but it's nice there are so many options!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.